Got a little techonology problem that you need fixed pronto? Post it here and we'll see what we can do.
Topic locked

Search Not Working (For Yahoo and the like)

Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:56 pm

Well for some odd apparent reason, sites such as Yahoo and Google have stopped working for me.

Everytime I search for something and click on one of the websites they provide me with, it goes to a random sites about buying things or hosting domains etc... I've tried it for a lot of websites (Mediabase, etc...) and it doesn't work. I cleared my cookies and it didn't have an effect.

Anyone know what's wrong?

Re: Search Not Working (For Yahoo and the like)

Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:54 pm

Hmm I've had this problem in the past. Once you click on the link, back up and click it again. It should take you to your intended destination. What browser are you using? It seemed to fix itself for me, well I didn't change browsers... well I hope that helped a bit.

Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:21 am

I have no idea, but have you run a spyware scan? It could possibly be something like that.

Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:01 pm

euphoniumgirl_71 wrote:Hmm I've had this problem in the past. Once you click on the link, back up and click it again. It should take you to your intended destination. What browser are you using? It seemed to fix itself for me, well I didn't change browsers... well I hope that helped a bit.

I'm using FireFox but I also have Internet Explorer.

It's working on IE but FF seems to be screwing up. I did what you recommended and it works; when I go back and click again, it works but I want it to work on the first try. What did you do to fix it?

And Alex, I did clean out spyware and it just made my computer faster, that's pretty much it.

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:32 pm

Ammer wrote:
euphoniumgirl_71 wrote:Hmm I've had this problem in the past. Once you click on the link, back up and click it again. It should take you to your intended destination. What browser are you using? It seemed to fix itself for me, well I didn't change browsers... well I hope that helped a bit.

I'm using FireFox but I also have Internet Explorer.

It's working on IE but FF seems to be screwing up. I did what you recommended and it works; when I go back and click again, it works but I want it to work on the first try. What did you do to fix it?

And Alex, I did clean out spyware and it just made my computer faster, that's pretty much it.

See that's the problem, I'm not to sure what I did. I'll put my mind to it though.

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:11 am

Hmm. What did you use for spyware? I normally use both Spybot and Ad-Aware, just to make sure it's doubly covered.

I'll keep digging and see if I can find anything.

Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:04 pm

Alex wrote:Hmm. What did you use for spyware? I normally use both Spybot and Ad-Aware, just to make sure it's doubly covered.

I'll keep digging and see if I can find anything.

Spybot only.

And thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it :)

Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:35 am

Sounds like a browser hijacker? Also, I recommend scanning your computer with Ad-Aware like Alex said. Hope this helps :)

Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:58 am

Ammer wrote:I'm using FireFox but I also have Internet Explorer.
It's working on IE but FF seems to be screwing up.

Internet Explorer > Firefox.
If I were you, I'd just switch to using IE.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:27 pm

Helena wrote:

I think the opposite because FF is way faster.

And I'm proud to say that the problem has disappeared...for now.

I will use Ad-Aware Siouxper just in case.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:42 pm

Ammer wrote:
Helena wrote:

I think the opposite because FF is way faster.

And I'm proud to say that the problem has disappeared...for now.

I will use Ad-Aware Siouxper just in case.

Glad it is fixed :) Ad-Aware is amazing at getting rid of spyware and the like. (Btw, FF > IE)

Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:09 am

Helena wrote:

Not necessarily. I mean, when I had a virus that wouldn't let me do anything on IE without opening 50 popups each link I clicked, I had to use Firefox to google the solution.

I've actually said this in the past, a couple of years ago, when someone tried to make me use Firefox as the solution: Changing browsers does not solve the problem. It simply avoids it.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:04 am

Well, it's not working again.

I have no idea as to why it isn't. AdAware and Spybot have cleaned out my computer and nothings worked.

-is frustrated-

Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:12 pm

Technology is a strange thing. What I would suggest is reinstalling Firefox or IE.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:19 pm

Kymothy wrote:Technology is a strange thing. What I would suggest is reinstalling Firefox or IE.

That's actually a good idea, I'll try that :)
Topic locked