Got a little techonology problem that you need fixed pronto? Post it here and we'll see what we can do.
Topic locked

Website Question

Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:41 am

Im taking Infotech's 9 and stuff I have been curous to programs to make websites, such as dreamweaver, what would the url be for someone you make with a program and how would people access it, would you need to buy a domain?

Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:03 am

*blink*

Erm... would you be able to rephrase that? I *think* you're asking how to set up a website, but I'm not 100% sure. I don't want to give you misleading advice, so I'll wait until I'm sure what your question is :)

Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:31 pm

Hey alex its 56k

No i know theres programs that u can make websites on instead of geocities, etc. but if you made a site with a program how would people find it, would you somehow upload it to geocities or sumthin?, doesnt it need an url

Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:01 pm

the second part is kinda right. You need to make the site in dreamweaver (or code it by hand) and then upload it to geocities, etc ( i don't like geocities--generally free sites come with some form of URL(either subdomain or not)). But if you don't know how to use dreamweaver, don't buy it, get the trial. if you don't like it search google for HTML-Kit. If you need tutorials on how to use dreamweaver, etc, also search google, or ask here.

Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:33 am

You need to upload it to a place that has free hosting, such as Geocities (though I dislike them).

Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:06 pm

I understand, is there an upload button or do I copy the html code

Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:31 pm

Most websites that do hosting have an upload feature. You right the HTML with dreamweaver, Notepad, textpad (my fave, but nagware) or whatever, and save it as an HTML file (.htm or .html). The main page on any website is index.htm, or .html. That's a default, and so your main page you'll want to save as a file of that name.

Then you just go to Geocities, or whoever, and set up an account.

After you've set up your account, just click on the link that says "Upload," which is usually under a header named "Maintenance," although it'll occasionally be on its own. Just upload the pages from your computer to the host, and you're done.

BTW: All dreamweaver is is a program that automatically inserts the HTML tags, which dictate the content and style of a website. You can type it yourself, or use dreamweaver to cheat for you. Once you're done, you don't have to send dreamweaver to anyone, because the website will be written under standard rules, in theory.
Topic locked