Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:35 am 

Wow. I think its pathetic that you can't deal with a bit of swearing and "off-topicness". Sure, if it was on a chat box that everyone could see, i can understand the no swearing, but if you go onto an IRC java chat, you are going to get the occasional swear word, especially with the stupid morons that come venturing in. You go there voluntarily. If you don't like it, STAY OUT. Don't ruin it for the people that want to be there, and have no access to download mIRC to chat there without using the java applet. As for off topicness... go to chats more often. That's all I have to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:44 am 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

In the channel, we ahve a bit of mild languague ... we are young adults/adults we can handle ourselves I rpomise there will be no fights ..

.:.^By WebKitty^.:.

RAWR! I R BD CHATTER!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:46 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Quote:
Wow. I think its pathetic that you can't deal with a bit of swearing and "off-topicness". Sure, if it was on a chat box that everyone could see, i can understand the no swearing, but if you go onto an IRC java chat, you are going to get the occasional swear word, especially with the stupid morons that come venturing in. You go there voluntarily. If you don't like it, STAY OUT. Don't ruin it for the people that want to be there, and have no access to download mIRC to chat there without using the java applet. As for off topicness... go to chats more often. That's all I have to say.

Quite frankly.
We're a site that deals with kids. If you were a parent and you wandered over and saw a whole bunch of swearing and what not, would you want your kid to be reading that site? Honestly, I think most parents here would say no.
The chat should have to follow the rules that the site follows. You come here voluntarily don't you? But theres no swearing, it's basically clean.
I've been in and out of chats for 9 years and to be honest, it's horrifically annoying when most of the chatters i'm with, go off topic. I RP. I RPed heavily for quite a few years, and it's annoying when people go off topic.
It's a PPT, NEO related chat.
Thats why it matters that people stay on . topic, and in the boundaries of what they're allowed to say. Which means, no swearing.

Evisceration is a sign of respect.

Post subject: I'd have to agree.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:41 am 

Actually, Yoshi, the rules were a bit more extensive than that. I'm one of the people pushing to go back to the old rules, but we can't seem to find anyone with a copy of them, so a new draft of the rules is our focus at the moment. In addition to the ones you mentioned, begging for items, NP, or Operator status in the channel (vop, op, aop, sop) were also expressly against the rules. Scamming for neopoints and even arguing to some extent were moderated, and sometimes resulted in a kick or ban from the channel. On top of THAT, we also have to respect the rules of the network; if a user is online through multiple chat windows (on CreativeIRC the limit is 3), then a kick or ban may be effected as well. A few Operators banned/kicked for the abuse of colour or control codes. Flooding (not just spamming) was against the rules, and that included excessive nickname or topic changes, as well as setting user or channel modes, or parting/quitting or joining rapidly.

The rules mentioned above are not the final draft, but will no doubt be included in the rules of the new #pinkpoogletoy chat. If any moderator here would like to make a suggestion or addition to the rules, feel free to Neomail me at fist_of_terror or drop by the chan and inform myself or any of the other Operators.

-Jimmy

#ppt Operator: arkhaius
Neopets: fist_of_terror

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:43 am 

I just want to clear up a few things and explain the chatroom a little bit more.

If it has not been cleared yet, after finding out about Experiments complaint we reacted to the situation as quickly as possible and as Experiment stated:
Quote:
I'm just glad the channel has made such an improvement. I think it would be definitely a good idea to re-add the chat to the site now

We have fixed the problem and are continuing to improve our rules and regulations and will do our best not to let this situation happen again.

A reply to Yoshi's quote:
Quote:
When PPT's old forum's chatbox was still up, the rules were actually quite simple- no swearing/inappropriate themes, no spamming, no excessive advertising.

Mods could also cloak (stay in the chatbox and be logged out) and kick people out, although I doubt that could be applied into an IRC chat (I've only been in the PPT one once). Worth a shot, anyways.

"Anything you can do I can do better" :)

This 'cloak' you are referring to is in fact possible to have on IRC. Bots can be ran 24/7 to detect specific badwords, spamming and excessive advertising which also falls under the category of spamming on IRC. Bots can also be assigned to carry out commands by users which are matched by a specific hostmask(scrambled IP address, which is done for security purposes), commands such as kicking and banning can be done regardless of a users status just as long as the Bot recognizes them.

And as for Khasm who said:
Quote:

The Pinkpt Chat has been around for about three years if not more, more than 90% of the regular users that go there right now would not be there if it wasn't for Pinkpt's Chatroom. Swearing is pretty much impossible to stop because there is no way to detect what the user has said before he/she actually says it. Same with on neopets, people use short forms and abbreviations for profanity, this is also on the forums. If someone was to post a negative message, it would be posted until a moderator saw it and decided to remove it. On IRC, a real time chatroom meaning it is just like talking 1 on 1, it's impossible to stop someone from swearing. But there is one feature similar to that of Neopets, that if a profanity is detected in a statement that it will not be allowed to be posted, Our chatroom has the capability of detecting badwords and replacing them with "<censored>". However just like the strike system on these forums, warnings are given out in the chatroom which will lead to being kicked or banned even as long as the chatroom is running. There will be a new chatroom set up for users connecting from this site that will be more safe from IRC users that don't have any interest in neopets or Pinkpt. Another reason why there will be new channel made is because of ahoteinrun's post, specifically:
Quote:
It's a PPT, NEO related chat.
Thats why it matters that people stay on . topic, and in the boundaries of what they're allowed to say. Which means, no swearing.

And finally, just to add on to arhakius' post:
Quote:
The rules mentioned above are not the final draft, but will no doubt be included in the rules of the new #pinkpoogletoy chat. If any moderator here would like to make a suggestion or addition to the rules, feel free to Neomail me at fist_of_terror or drop by the chan and inform myself or any of the other Operators.

One comment I would like to make is about the relationship between this website and the chatroom. The chatroom was created as an additional feature this website would offer. The reason why I along with a number of operators/users/friends want this chatroom back is because of what this chatroom means to us. This chatroom is 3 years old and since then I and a lot of others have made friends and we owe it all to Pinkpt's website. We aren't competing with this website in any way shape or form but instead want to make it grow and be part of this website like the chatroom once was.

I believe the biggest concern is the communication between the chatroom operators and the admins and moderators of the website. I think the operators are just as qualified as the moderators on this forum. We currently are deciding on the rules and would appreciate any suggestions about the chatroom. Keep in mind we are on the same side and we do support Pinkpt.

- Angie
Operator

irc.creativeirc.net #pinkpoogletoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:59 am 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

In regards to Arkhaius's reply of no flooding, it's more extensive than that. Its more like no repeating. One repeat will get you warned. If you repeat again, you will get kicked out.

As for profanity, we try to keep it down to a minimum. Sometimes, one or two expletives will escape. We usually warn them. If they continue to curse, we usually skip kicking and go right to a KBAN.

And, for the age matters, you will get young children wandering in. And their parents will be watching them. I myself have experienced this.

As for off-topic ness, there will be times when no one needs help and people just like to chat about random topics. If someone comes in and needs help, users will help that person. After the help is given, anybody can talk about a new topic... whether Neopets or random.

NOTE: Topics are most likely Neopets related. Usually upcoming battles, battle matches, new games, restock, etc.

-ArwenEarendil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:48 pm 

Yoshi, there is no way to 'cloak' on IRC nor is there a way to logout, either your connected to teh server or disconnected, so that idea wont work.

I didnt see the second page and as Angie said, Bots can be used when operators are away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:01 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

angie wrote:
Same with on neopets, people use short forms and abbreviations for profanity, this is also on the forums.

*strangled throat noise*

People who do that here, normally get caught, and they get a reprimand in one of a few forms.

Quote:
Swearing is pretty much impossible to stop because there is no way to detect what the user has said before he/she actually says it

It MAY be pretty much impossible to stop, but it should still be dealt with. The chatroom should be made to follow ALL rules that are on the forums, and the site. Ie. No profanity.
You say that warnings are given out, however, obviously these are not deterrants if there is still swearing.

Quote:
I believe the biggest concern is the communication between the chatroom operators and the admins and moderators of the website. I think the operators are just as qualified as the moderators on this forum. We currently are deciding on the rules and would appreciate any suggestions about the chatroom. Keep in mind we are on the same side and we do support Pinkpt.

Now, i've been on PPT as a member of the forums for over a year now. On top of this, i've been lurking on PPT for over a year before I joined.
How is it, that this is honestly the first time i've ever heard of the chat?
There is little communication. I doubt you chat room ops would even BE here on the forums if it wasn't for Experiment bringing this to the surface.

*just shakes head*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:14 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

ahoteinrun wrote:
Now, i've been on PPT as a member of the forums for over a year now. On top of this, i've been lurking on PPT for over a year before I joined.
How is it, that this is honestly the first time i've ever heard of the chat?
There is little communication. I doubt you chat room ops would even BE here on the forums if it wasn't for Experiment bringing this to the surface.

Before I even saw this topic, I thought the only "official" PPT chat was the hack for the forums, I didn't even know there was one on IRC. I've been on the forums for a little over a year, and lurked for about half a year.

Speculation Central - Thinking about the future... Today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:21 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Yeah, me too, I thought it meant that chat room that used to be at the bottom of the index, I wasn't even aware there was an IRC chat room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:27 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

To Dragonfire, Electric Dj, and ahoteinrun,

If you have only been here a year, the java applet for the live chat was probably removed before you have even joined PPT forums.

As for not knowing where the chat was, it was on the menu bar around 2 years back. Then, PPT revamped (due to being rerouted to an adult side and to conserve space) and the Live Chat was put under Interactive in the Sections area of today's Pinkpt.com. Now, if you check the Interactive section, you would not find PPT Live Chat there. And thus, we are trying to get it back.

As for the cursing, yes warnings are given out. If the infraction continues, instead of the forum's 'strike system', we go immediatly to Banning. The ban probably would not be lifted until the next day. Continuous infractions after several bans (which is not a lot), will lead to AKICKs (AKICKs automatically kick and ban you once you enter the channel). AKICKs are rarely removed. They can last for a year or more. Even if the person's AKICK is removed, there will be serious discussion first. After the person returns, he/she will be kept under watch.

If a person infracts rules relentlessly, whether channel or server as a whole, they may be banned from the server completely.

As for operators not coming into forums, we all have our reasons. For myself, I find that forums are slow to update. Say you have a question. Some questions may not be answered until an extensive period of time. Therefore, in an emergency, I probably would not get an answer until at least an hour. In regards to that, I use Live Chat. I get an answer almost immediately. Not to mention, if you want to talk to a specific person, you may have to wait for a page to load (dial-up users). In Live Chat, you only have to wait a few seconds (varies due to type speed) for your reply. This conserves time.

My theory may or may not apply to other Live Chat users. But, im certain we all have our reasons for the chat platform we use.

Hope this helps.

-ArwenEarendil
Operator

Last edited by ArwenEarendil on Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:30 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I've already found it.
I've had my experience with IRC chats. I was on the elfwood/wyverns library/loth chat... for quite awhile. With other artists.
I've also had my fair share of experiences with other chats, i've been online long enough to get a grasp on a lot of free java chat outlets.

Somehow I remember having chats for quite a few years, huge role plays of up to 40 people, all teens or young adults, and not a single swear was uttered in them. And this is brutal, people killing each other warring RPs.
No swears.
It was an unspoken rule.
But it was a different time I suppose, and a different group of people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:47 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

We don't get cursing much. There is of course, the occassional awry user.

I do agree it's an unspoken rule not to curse during RP. #PPT doesn't RP much. It's more of conversations.

Thus, there is probably a bit more of cursing. We do try to censor and prevent cursing. Even if only to bring it down to a minimum.

Right now, since rules aren't settled, there may be some cursing. But, only time will tell the future.

-ArwenEarendil
Operator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:57 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I've been here for more than a year, but I probably never found it because I don't visit the PPT page anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:40 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Quote:
Right now, since rules aren't settled, there may be some cursing. But, only time will tell the future.

Know what the answer to that is?
Settle them.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next