Know your Gundams from your Evas? Your Chobits from your .hack? Think Boba is the best thing since Pocky? You're not alone. Enter!
Topic locked

First Anime/Manga?

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:47 pm

I'm a little suprised this hasn't been asked yet.
What's the first anime/manga that got you into the fandom?
My first manga was Oh My Goddess (Aa! Megami-sama!), and first anime was Cowboy Bebop (I think...Might actually also have been Oh My Goddess... *scratches head*).

Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:54 pm

The first manga I ever bought was Kare Kano. I have no idea why, I just thought it looked cute and decided to buy it. (Plus, everyone needs a bit of romantic comedy in their life.)
The first anime I ever got into wat probably either .hack//sign or Rurouni Kenshin.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:31 pm

Hrrm...my first manga was Ranma 1/2 volume 2...I saw a girl in my English class reading it and asked if I could borrow it.

My first anime was Spirited Away^^ If that technically doesn't count because it's a movie, then my first anime was Shaman King.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:44 pm

Well, the first anime I really watched (and became obsessed with :P) was Yu Yu Hakusho. I saw some anime before that but...I was little and didn't even know what anime was, so that doesn't count. The first manga I read was Pokemon, which I bought when when I was about 6 years old.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:58 pm

Hm...my first anime was Totoro, followed closely by Sailor Moon. First manga...hm...probably Card Captor Sakura. I don't remember very well when I got into comics, but I've got a few of those chapter-only small comic stacks somewhere on my bookcase.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:50 pm

I didn't know they were anime at the time, but a few of those Nick Jr. cartoons were probably my first (eg: The Adventures of Little Koala, The Brothers Grimm Fairytale Classics, etc). The first anime I watched and knew it was anime was Sailor Moon. The first manga I read was Dragon Ball.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:10 pm

First thing was likely Voltron (somewhere I think I still have an old die-cast figure) and then later offically was Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball. First Manga was Galaxy Express 999 (serialized in Animerica)

SpiraLethe wrote:I didn't know they were anime at the time, but a few of those Nick Jr. cartoons were probably my first (eg: The Adventures of Little Koala, The Brothers Grimm Fairytale Classics, etc).

I remember those ... makes me feel all nostalgic :D

Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:12 pm

Has to be Akira. I saw it on late-night TV in the early 90s. I watched all the usual quasi-anime stuff when I was a kid ( Transformers, thundercats, pole position etc ), but I'll go with Akira anyway. Its still one of my favourite movies of all time.

Incidently, Akira was voted 16th greatest "cartoon" ever in a recent British poll :) Other winners were Spirited Away which came 8th, Princess Mononoke which came 21st, and ( suprisingly in my eyes :roll: ) -removed- at number 72.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:34 pm

Transformers is quasi-anime? Whoa..

Probably Sailor Moon somewhere around JK or SK.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:44 pm

First Manga -- haven't read one yet...

As for first anime, I think it would be Pokémon or Dragon Balls.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:07 pm

My first anime was Bush Babies (it has another name, but I only remember it as Bush Babies). About this girl and these little lemur things, I loved that show. I can't find it anywhere though ;_; It was followed closely by Totoro, then Sailor Moon.

I don't remember my first manga.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:55 pm

Runevalkyrie wrote:First thing was likely Voltron (somewhere I think I still have an old die-cast figure) and then later offically was Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball. First Manga was Galaxy Express 999 (serialized in Animerica)

I totally forgot about Voltron and Speed Racer. I wonder if I saw those before Sailor Moon. Regardless, I didn't know they were Japanese back then. But if Transformers count, then that'd definitely count as my first anime ever. I used to know the theme in Chinese. :oops:

Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:58 am

First anime was probably Speed Racer or Voltron (if those count). If not, the probably Sailor Moon? It's been such a long time, I don't really remember.

As for manga, I didn't start reading any until a year or so ago, maybe two (I have a horrible perception of time...), when the first Naruto manga was released. That was my first manga, I believe.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:21 am

As a child of the 80s, I used to wake up at 5:30am to watch Voltron every morning (and some other show that was set in space...oddly enough, I think it was an anime as well). But, I didn't know what anime was when I was 5. I first heard of anime when I discovered Speed Racer reruns on Cartoon Network back in '97. But while I found it to be amusing, it wasn't my true beginning. In July of '97, I happened across Sailor Moon showing on the USA Network. Our foreign exchange student flipped out (she used to watch the show in France) and thus my obsession with anime began. By winter of '98 I had already graduated from dubbed SM to fansubbed, and by the following summer I had greatly expanded my anime interests.

It's nearly 8 years later, and I'm still going strong. ^_^v My anime obsession has definitely surpassed my Star Wars fanaticism in recent years.

Edit: Oops, forgot about manga! ^_^ I'm not as into it as many others, mainly due to not knowing where to get it (in Japanese that is...and the English is so pricy). Although I do have most of the Sailor Moon manga in French, picked them up when I was in Paris in '98.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:56 am

Hm. The first anime I actually liked would probably be Yu Yu Hakusho, but now Naruto has gotten me more obsessed.
Topic locked