An artistic oracle. Meet fellow creators and swap advice. Every skill you can imagine is on show.
Topic locked

Study of Stripes for Class

Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:37 pm

In my art class, my teacher is saying we have to do a study of stripes. He showed us examples. People drew waving American flags, or striped shirts or crumpled up blankets and the like, all basic things.

Being the unoriginal person I am at the moment, I can't come up with anything original. Does anyone have any ideas? There was one amazing piece where the person drew the torso of a person, who was wearing a black and white striped shirt, and on the arm was a number tatoo and faded over the image in red was a swaztika. So, as a whole, the image represented a war prisoner during World War II, not just a stripes study.

Makes drawing a flag or blanket seem sort of lame in comparison, so any ideas would be appreciated. :)

Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:32 pm

I've always been partial to sign iconography. What if you did something with various street or other signs? They're very stripy, in ways.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:42 pm

If you're into that Americanism theme, you could do a flag draped over a casket (which has been quite the popular imagry lately). But thats rather controversial.
Were it me, i'd probably just settle on something that is important to me. Say... a striped saddle blanket laying over the back of a horse. But... yeah. *shrugs* Art that is personally important is often more interesting then other art. Do what feels right to you, think about your interests and then decide on how to work stripes into them.

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:01 am

I first thought "zebra!!" ... not necessarily very imaginative, but you could pick a non-striped animal and try putting stripes on it (eg. a zebra-striped dolphin?).

My other thought was "pirates!" (thanks to Neopets). Someone in a stripey pirate shirt :)

Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:54 pm

mazil wrote:My other thought was "pirates!" (thanks to Neopets). Someone in a stripey pirate shirt :)

Pirates.

...Mazil, I love you. Pirates! *hugs* That might just work. :)

Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:23 am

Hoo, yay! Good luck with it! :hug:

It'd be great to see what you come up with, if you can get a chance to post it :D

Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:54 pm

I'll try! Might be a while until I finish it and am able to post it though. :hug:
Topic locked