Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri Oct 04, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: What should I do? (kitten woe)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:34 pm 

We've found a stray kitten on our porch :o We've been to the vets with her and everything like that, but she's extremely attached to us. We were going to put her in an rspca shelter, but when we tried to she wouldn't let go of me. We'd keep he but we can't afford for feeding and such. What should I do?

sig soonage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:52 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Give her to very close family. (Or friend.. but friendships break. )

Or, you go get a job (if you are old enough) or do some things around the neighborhood to help pay for her. (Mow lawns, take care of OTHER people's pets, etc) Or, you could maybe do both if you are doing one already...

In the mean time you could give her table scraps..I have a "kitten" that like Spaghetti because the people are the farm she used to live at gave all their cats left-overs..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:57 pm 

I'll keep these in mind, I could pay for her with pocket money if I saved up, I get £5 a week and an additional £5 if I do chores. I'm not really looking for a new pet currently, I've already got 2 gerbils, a rat and a rabbit. My close friends already have all their pets and all my close family are allergic.

sig soonage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:54 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yeah, do favors and year work for your neighbors to earn some money for food and litter.

As for toys, you can always find stuff around your house that will amuse the kitten, but be sure it's a safe toy (like nothing that can potentially choke your kitten). My cat happens to really like ping pong balls and rubber bands.

Yes, I'm still alive...still alive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:57 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

DiscordantNote wrote:
Yeah, do favors and year work for your neighbors to earn some money for food and litter.

As for toys, you can always find stuff around your house that will amuse the kitten, but be sure it's a safe toy (like nothing that can potentially choke your kitten). My cat happens to really like ping pong balls and rubber bands.

Adding to that, flashlights make GREAT cat toys, as does anything on a string that she can chase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:56 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Cheap Cat tip #1: Never buy toys. A dog may need a few, but cats play with anything. A pencil will keep them just as amused as one of those $7 feathery toys from petsmart, and they won't tear it to pieces in the first five seconds.

2. Never buy a cat bed. I have never yet met a cat who actually slept in their designated spot.

3. Dry food is good for cheapness, and it keeps teeth healthy. Try to get Special Kitty brand- it's usually the cheapest that won't do any harm. (Cat Fancy, as well as being really expensive, really hurts a cat's digestive system and makes them fat). I personally prefer a mix of wet and dry, but that's your choice.

4. Litterboxes can be obtained cheaply - the uber-thrifty use part of a cardboard box, but those get gross. However, A.R.Cs sell them cheap, and they can be found in yardsales.

5. This has nothing to do with cheapness, but the scented kitty litter smells *really bad*. Just get the normal, neutralizing kind.

That's about all I can think of... yeah, if you're old enough for a job, try to get one (BK or something part-time) or rake leaves or... whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:01 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Eo wrote:
2. Never buy a cat bed. I have never yet met a cat who actually slept in their designated spot.

I agree with that, too. If you really think the cat needs a bed, take an old blanket and put it somewhere in a big heap. Cats love sitting on those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:42 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Location: PinkPT. Except when I'm not on PinkPT. No, wait. I'm confused.
I'm going for keeping her.

And Eo's tips are great. Litterboxs are really cheap. We got ours for about $7.00.

Some shelters spay and neature for free, or for a very little amount.

Lovely set by the equally lovely Silja!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:01 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

I thought cats could choke on rubber bands?

Oh, and if you play with your cat using string.. never leave them alone with it, even to answer the phone or something, because once I left string out and I found my cat with half of it down her throat and I had to pull it out. :battar:

But, yeah, Eo has the basics. Good job, Eo. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:05 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

you can buy quite big bags of dry cat food for about £7 (I think). I do that for my cat and it's lasted her at least a month (well, she gets tinned food as well but my dog mostly eats that :P) and table scraps are good. My cat gets fish or some kind of cold meat all the time and it hasn't done her any harm (she's 9 now.) Good luck anyway, whatever you decide to do!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:43 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Location: Faster than a speeding IM! Stronger than an ox on steroids! Pinker than a bottle of Pepto-Bismol!
What about an animal shelter or the RSPCA?

Hold onto your seats people... the SL is back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:19 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Kitten Medli wrote:
I thought cats could choke on rubber bands?

Oh, and if you play with your cat using string.. never leave them alone with it, even to answer the phone or something, because once I left string out and I found my cat with half of it down her throat and I had to pull it out. :battar:

My cat plays with rubber bands, all of which are rather big. So, big rubber bands. I agree with the bit about the string as well, yarn and thread don't make great cat toys despite the stereotype.

Post subject: Re: What should I do? (kitten woe)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:33 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Spivey wrote:
We've found a stray kitten on our porch :o We've been to the vets with her and everything like that, but she's extremely attached to us. We were going to put her in an rspca shelter, but when we tried to she wouldn't let go of me. We'd keep he but we can't afford for feeding and such. What should I do?

First of all I don't think it's that expensive to keep a cat, I guess the most expensive parts are the vet visits and all that.

Also, I can't see why you couldn't leave her at the RSPCA shelter. You say that she wouldn't let go of you, but at some point she would have to do that anyway (can't be _that_ hard right? O_o). I know it's a bit sad to leave an animal that has gotten so attached to you, but if you can't keep her then its only fair to the cat.

Set by everconfused

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:35 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Well, my friend has a small cat toy that you put a few small treats in, and it keeps their cat (aka the Queen of Sheba) amused for a fair few hours trying to get them out. They're pretty cheap. :)

that's me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:40 pm 

If you're going to use a rubber band, find one that's at least one inch wide. She'll be less-inclined to swallow it. Other toys I can recommend are wadded-up balls of paper, your toes under a blanket, or unsharpened pencils. One of my cats goes buck-wild over tape as well, but she's also about as smart as a gas pump, so there you go.

Litter boxes are cheap. They're easy to find at any large box-style department store, yard sales, et cetera. You'll want at least one litter-box liner.

Buy clumping litter labeled something like "Odor control." Scoop it according to this formula: 2/(number of cats)=days it should be scooped. In your case, every two days. In my case, daily.

As for food, right now, she'll need some sort of kitten chow. I recommend Purina, though I won't swear by it. Kitten foods are divided by age groups. Once she's about 9-12 months old, you should be able to switch her to adult food, but if your vet recommends something different, obviously the doctor's more right than I am.

Has she been spayed? If she hasn't, that'll cost you a fair bit. Generally, a spaying costs about 150 USD where i'm from, which translates to a little more than 100 pounds. Expect to pay more if she has to stay overnight - at least another 15 pounds.

If you're going to give her away, she'll cope with meeting a new owner, no matter how pathetic she looks now. I have two cats, and I'm their third owner. Their first one gave them to a pet placement service when he moved overseas, and the second just didn't work out because they'd become adjusted to having an adult male in the house. Imprinting and all of that. Now they're fine, even though they may have some minor abandonment issues.

If you keep the cat - just love her. She'll like that. And learn to discipline her when she does something bad. Squirt guns work well are a last resort, but they're effective. Start with a gentle bop on the nose. She'll look a little distressed, but it's better she learns not to get on the dining room table now than you having to fight her off every night for the next 14 years or so.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next