Anything and everything goes in here... within reason.
Topic locked

So frustrating!

Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:41 am

Okay, so I've been playing trumpet since I was about 9 years old, and this is going to be my 4th year playing. I started out with braces, but they were removed only about a month after I started playing, so I adjusted quickly since I barely even knew how to play. During 5th and 6th grade, I was one of the best players in the band at my schools - I played first part, got a few solos, and I even played first part in jazz band, with the only other first trumpet being an 8th grader and the best player in the whole school. I really loved playing trumpet, and I don't mean to brag, but I was good at it. But, I don't really know if I can say that anymore.

This past summer I got braces (again), and I practically had to learn how to play trumpet all over again. I only had a little more than a month to adjust, which was really not enough. So, I started out this past school year barely being able to play half of the notes that most of the other people my age could. I got stuck with second part, and went to being one of the really good members of the band to being a pretty bad one. I was extremely frustrated, though, because my band instructor still expected me to play very difficult songs during my evaluations. They weren't so bad for everyone else in my grade, but I cried over it the night before I had to play it for my teacher because I could barely play it and he refused to let me play another piece. I guess I didn't do so bad, but it I had never been so frustrated with any piece of music I had gotten before. Right now I'm on summer break, but my band instructor gave us our marching band music for this coming school year, and I'm also very frustrated with it. He gave me first part and is expecting me to be able to play it, but a lot of the notes are out of my range and I usually end up crying once I'm done practicing because I basically sound like crap and I just want to sound like I used to, but I can't because I just HAD to get braces AGAIN. I probably won't even have a chance of getting back in the range I used to have until I get my braces off, which I think will be sometime within this school year. I really don't know what I can do to be able to play higher notes comfortably and at least half-decent as long as I have these braces on. I've heard of pieces of plastic or rubber you can put in your mouth that is supposed to cover your braces, but I haven't seen them around anywhere. I don't know how many of you on this forum have ever had to try to play an instrument with braces, but it's REALLY difficult and I hate how none of my teachers understand and are acting like I'm not trying hard enough, because I AM trying.

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:16 am

I vaguely recall some people in my high school band using teflon (plumber's) tape to wrap around their teeth (top front down and then back up on the back side), but I don't know if that's effective at all.

Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:46 am

Yay go trumpet players! *coughs* Uhm anyway lol

Do you practice flexability skills? Such as sluring, octives and things like that to bring your range back. It takes forever it seems, and second part isn't that bad because even though first part is seen as "the best part", in reality without the second and thrid parts the band would be completly top heavy and would sound bad. Harmony can be just as important as melody. :) I would talk to your dentist or orthodontist for the wax that you can put between your teeth and lips.

I'm assuming you've talked to your director about this problem? If he or she is a good director they should be able to understand your problem and work with you to fix it. Hope this helps :) Good luck with your playing.

Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:07 am

The wax that you can get from orthodontists is absolutely awful in my opinion. From my own personal experiences and as a music teacher, I suggest flower tape for students. It's somewhat clothlike, and there won't be any sticky residue when you take it off your braces. Play around with your embouchure too and where you're placing your mouthpiece. Try something new every day and see what works best for you.

Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:05 pm

Lost wrote: Yay go trumpet players! *coughs* Uhm anyway lol

Do you practice flexability skills? Such as sluring, octives and things like that to bring your range back. It takes forever it seems, and second part isn't that bad because even though first part is seen as "the best part", in reality without the second and thrid parts the band would be completly top heavy and would sound bad. Harmony can be just as important as melody. I would talk to your dentist or orthodontist for the wax that you can put between your teeth and lips.

I'm assuming you've talked to your director about this problem? If he or she is a good director they should be able to understand your problem and work with you to fix it. Hope this helps Good luck with your playing.

Well, when I warm up I do try to do scales and I usually use different articulation patterns (sluring, staccato, etc.) I should probably do more of those when I practice, though. I usually only do a few and then I start playing some songs out of a book or my marching band music. I really would like to play first part this year, and I don't want to go up to my band instructor and ask him to switch me to second part unless I really have to. I still have about a little over a month to learn my band music, so I think I'm going to start practicing more with it.

mayanspypilot wrote:The wax that you can get from orthodontists is absolutely awful in my opinion. From my own personal experiences and as a music teacher, I suggest flower tape for students. It's somewhat clothlike, and there won't be any sticky residue when you take it off your braces. Play around with your embouchure too and where you're placing your mouthpiece. Try something new every day and see what works best for you.

I agree with you about the wax - my orthodontist only gives me enough if I would ever have a wire poking me, and the wax doesn't even stick at all when you put it in your mouth. :roll: The flower tape does sound like a good idea - I've seen flower tape before and that sounds like a good way to protect my braces. My private instructor has been saying lately that I place my mouthpiece too low and I'm putting too much pressure on my top lip, so I'm trying to keep my mouthpiece higher and getting more of my bottom lip in the mouthpiece so I don't smush my top one so much. It's a bit awkward right now, but I think I'll get used to it after a while.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! :)
Topic locked