Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: ICE- In case of Emergency
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:14 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I came across this on another site and thought it would be of interest to us here on PPT too:

Someone on the BurdaStyle Website wrote:
Apparently this is a standard procedure all paramedics follow at the scene of an accident when they come across your mobile phone.

ICE - 'In Case of Emergency'

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our closest family or friends.

If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence this 'ICE' (In Case of Emergency) Campaign. The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As mobile phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' ( In Case Of Emergency). The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with patients, but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose. In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and Hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the number you have stored as 'ICE.' For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc. A great idea that will make a difference! Let's spread the concept of ICE by storing an ICE number in our Mobile Phones today!

Please forward this. It won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest. ICE will speak for you when you are not able to.

I am certainly going to program some ICE numbers into my phone.

Post subject: Re: ICE- In case of Emergency
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:49 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Failing that I think in emergencies they often go for 'Home', 'Mum', 'Dad'...that kind of thing!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:28 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I have a few ICE numbers on my phone.

Set by Byakuya'<3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:03 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Mmm, after my last first aid course I updated my phone to have a few of these. I also told myself if I ever needed a medic alert bracelet I'd get one made of solid gold as its more likely to be noticed by the paramedics :P (our tutor mentioned that quite often they're not seen in the chaos of emergencies and aren't noticed until in the ambulance)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:38 am 
PPT God
PPT God

TDG wrote:
Mmm, after my last first aid course I updated my phone to have a few of these. I also told myself if I ever needed a medic alert bracelet I'd get one made of solid gold as its more likely to be noticed by the paramedics :P (our tutor mentioned that quite often they're not seen in the chaos of emergencies and aren't noticed until in the ambulance)

I'd personally get mine in lime green, so you can really see it.

I don't have a cell, but I know I will program some of these in when I get one.

Set by the amazing Kitten Medli.
Wanna see some of my writing? Click here!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:08 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I've heard of ideas like this, having a call in case of Emergency person listed... I always tell myself I will add something like that to my contact list, but never do. Guess now is the time to do it...I'd say better late than never...but in this situation it can never be too early to do this.

Submit your picture for the Official 2009 PPT Collage today!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:31 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

TDG wrote:

LOL, not because paramedics might actually notice it while they're going through your pockets for money? ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:22 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

My parents have done this, particularly when they went to Europe for a month. Now I just get confused when I'm answering mum's phone for her, and it says "Ice [Dad] Lynch" - I kinda go o.O

I really need to get around to putting someone in my phone..

Gone, forever.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:28 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

My mother made me put an ICE number on my phone (Her mobile, coincidently) because I'm a bit of a spacey prannock at the best of times or something.
Doesn't help that there is a card in my wallet that says essentially, that I am a spacey prannock, and that it's made by a medical group ¬_¬
(The National Autistic Society, as it happens)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:32 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Do they do cards for your wallet? I must get one for my brother.

Then when the millionth person has nicked it, they will realise why it was so easy... :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:10 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I refuse to put an ICE number in because I trust my country's medical staff to be smart enough to sniff out "Mom" or "Dad" or look at my driver's license and get info from that. I'm not going to succumb to the modern culture of fear and panic.

"A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:51 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Igg wrote:
Do they do cards for your wallet? I must get one for my brother.

Then when the millionth person has nicked it, they will realise why it was so easy... :roll:

I was given one upon my diagnosis, amongst other assorted nonsense.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:54 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don't understand the purpose of ICE.

Common sense would indicate to look for the victims' parents (or any other relative if stated) number. I can only see this being useful for those who are not in close contact with relatives.

Set by Medli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:49 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: Watching little birds fly kamikaze missions into the walls.
I think it's extremely important if you want someone to know who isn't related to you. For example, I live in Florida... My parents live in New York. As much as I love my parents, they shouldn't be the first contact if something happens to me because they really can't do anything with the distance. Paramedics or whoever wouldn't know to look for my boyfriend because I don't have him labeled as "BOYFRIEND"... For him, I would put ICE - <name>. That way, the paramedics know to look for ICE because of their training and they know how to address him when he answers the phone.

It was an honor serving you PPT. I will miss you.
Click here to join my new werewolf forum!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:19 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

May wrote:
I think it's extremely important if you want someone to know who isn't related to you. For example, I live in Florida... My parents live in New York. As much as I love my parents, they shouldn't be the first contact if something happens to me because they really can't do anything with the distance. Paramedics or whoever wouldn't know to look for my boyfriend because I don't have him labeled as "BOYFRIEND"... For him, I would put ICE - <name>. That way, the paramedics know to look for ICE because of their training and they know how to address him when he answers the phone.

Well, assuming they rule out long distance, than I can see why it would be useful.

Personally, I won't do it as my parents are clearly labeled on my phone.

Set by Medli

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next