If you're feeling down and blue and need a little pick-me-up, then this is the place to be people!
Topic locked

THIS IS IMPORTANT...

Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:52 pm

TO ME :D

I am becoming a comedian (or trying). I have a notebook to write down funny things and hoping to get a tape recorder to do the same. I need help deciding things and figuring out the attitude i need to adopt to get this. P.S I am serious :D

Please post any reply's that you want to. I won't get mad if you tell me i'm a beginner b/c i am :oops:

EDIT: PLEASE POST I BEG OF YOU$ DONT LET IT PRUNE :cry:

Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:33 am

Always make things personal- for instance, instead of saying Joe Schmoe did "X", say you met Joe Schmoe who did "X".

Once, a missionary doctor was visiting the depths of Africa, giving medicine and other basics while living among them and preaching. One day, the chief's wife came in. "Big chief no fart!" she shouted. The doctor gave her a laxative, instructing her to put it in the chief's dinner. The next day, she came back. "Big chief no fart!" she shouted desperately. "Okay." replied the doctor. "Give him 10 laxatives." The next day, the same occured, and again, and again. Finally, one day, he said to her, "Well, just give him a million laxatives!" . The next day she came in and exclaimed, "Big fart no chief!"

or

Once, I was visiting a missionary doctor who worked in the depths of Africa, giving medicine and other basics while living among them and preaching. One day, the chief's wife came in. "Big chief no fart!" she shouted to us. My friend gave her a laxative, instructing her to put it in the chief's dinner. The next day, she came back. "Big chief no fart!" she shouted. "Okay." he replied. "Give him 10 laxatives." The next day, the same occured, and again, and again. Finally, one day, he said to her, "Well, just give him a million laxatives!" . The next day she came in and exclaimed to us, "Big fart no chief!" Needless to say, my friend does not hand out laxatives anymore.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:17 am

Thanks, i was afraid NO ONE was going to post. :D

My comedy book says to make fun of myself so i will probably be personal. ALOT. And yeah, that's more interesting. Thanks man 8)

Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:55 am

Andy, I was recently in a high school play, Pride and Prejudice, in which there are quite a few good roles in it, but I was able to steal ALL the laughs because I was able to read the audience. I would pander to the people out there, not my director. What happens too often with stand-up comics is they have their whole thing memorized and just deliver it without adapting to the crowd. People can see this. I'm not saying that you should go up there with nothing planned, but you really can't be a good comedian unless you can take the crickets and work the audience like clay.

Re: THIS IS IMPORTANT...

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:37 am

andyroonie wrote:EDIT: PLEASE POST I BEG OF YOU$ DONT LET IT PRUNE :cry:

I dont think the PPT forums prune..

Anywho, try not to laugh when you're saying something... unless you're supposed to laugh. If you laugh, you just killed off the whole joke/bit.

Metaphors (sp?) and Similies are your friends! :D Well, to me they are. :P I think something is really funny when compared to another thing.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:44 pm

Yeah, i think words with k are funny :D

pickle, cupcake, etc.
note: this is totally off subject ;-)

but yeah, watericeage, that;s the kind of help i'm looking for.

thanks. and my book says to y'know, DONT TELL JOKES during stand-up comedy. personally, it's okay but you gotta TWIST the jokes until it is more of a conversation between you and you. THANKS GUYS this has helped.

And it's funny that everyone thinks my first name is Andy lol.

How i really got that name was from my dad. My name is Andrew but i get called andyroonie by him.

Re: THIS IS IMPORTANT...

Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:37 am

watericesage wrote:
andyroonie wrote:EDIT: PLEASE POST I BEG OF YOU$ DONT LET IT PRUNE :cry:

I dont think the PPT forums prune..

We don't anymore. Why i forget. :P

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:06 am

BACK ON SUBJECT :D
Topic locked