PC, X-Box, Playstation 2, Gamecube and so on. Hints, tips and discussion here.
Topic locked

PSP, worth it, or not?

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:16 am

Shall I save up for a PSP and buy it, or not? Explain. :D

I feel like I am making one of those icky tests that the English teachers force us to take...

Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:24 am

I'm probably biased here, but I don't really care for hand-helds. I'd say get a system if there's one you want or don't have, otherwise, I guess you could go for it. There are a ton of games coming out on it that I want, but I'll end up never buying it. =P

Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:35 am

Im on the go alot, so I like something to do in the car. I have all the consoles out right now, except for Xbox

Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:47 am

I held the notion that PSP was superior in all aspects that matter, but my position was shaken upon reading the argument presented by X, a member at my forum, in the thread, Nintendo DS or Sony PSP? He attacks both handhelds for their flaws and points out both their strengths. One may also find Reneid Klein's arguments persuasive.

If I had to choose between PSP and its rival, I'd choose PSP. And so would Lincoln. Former President Abraham Lincoln. I just know.

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:30 pm

Hyperion wrote:I held the notion that PSP was superior in all aspects that matter, but my position was shaken upon reading the argument presented by X, a member at my forum, in the thread, Nintendo DS or Sony PSP? He attacks both handhelds for their flaws and points out both their strengths. One may also find Reneid Klein's arguments persuasive.

If I had to choose between PSP and its rival, I'd choose PSP. And so would Lincoln. Former President Abraham Lincoln. I just know.

Lincoln would choose both Mr. H., because it would unify the handheld market.

However, it's really on the kind of games you want. And what you want in hand held.

If you want more of a multi-media system with a less-than-stellar battery life but has decent 3-D graphics and has the ability to play movies (UMD, but movies) go with the PSP.

If you want a general hand-held gaming system with more of an RPG-based area, (less in the way of heavy action) go with DS.

DS also features backwards compatability with the older Gameboy games (I believe) so if you already have those kinds of games, you could buy that.

Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:35 pm

Ioudas Omnis wrote:Lincoln would choose both Mr. H., because it would unify the handheld market.

Only as a publicity stunt. In private, it'd be all about the PSP.

Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:28 pm

Ioudas Omnis wrote:DS also features backwards compatability with the older Gameboy games (I believe) so if you already have those kinds of games, you could buy that.

I believe it only supports the Game Boy Advance games now, instead of the full library. :\

Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:38 pm

Kugetsu wrote:
Ioudas Omnis wrote:DS also features backwards compatability with the older Gameboy games (I believe) so if you already have those kinds of games, you could buy that.

I believe it only supports the Game Boy Advance games now, instead of the full library. :\

Yeah, I just checked Nintendo.com
Nintendo.com wrote:Nintendo DS features a separate media port for Game Boy Advance cartridges. Nintendo DS allows you to play all your favorite Game Boy Advance games in a single-player mode.

That's not really fair, though. Although it still does give more gameplay to the DS over the PSP. Giving it the older games from the older hand-held. It seems to me that Nintendo could win over more fans if they also allowed a backwards compatability with GB and GBC games.

Although the GBM also only plays GBA games, according to Nintendo, that's well over 700 games. So it seems like that with all the DS games, and the GBA games, you'd have more variety, albiet it not as great graphics as the PSP, but graphics aren't everything.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:05 am

Awesome. Thanks for all your opinions. :)

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:02 am

Ioudas Omnis wrote: and has the ability to play movies (UMD, but movies) go with the PSP.

Why would you want to watch films on a tiny screen when you can buy it on DVD for less money and play it on your big tv screen in you house, sat in comfort with family and friends being able to enjoy it with you

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:07 am

Ioudas Omnis wrote:
Kugetsu wrote:

Yeah, I just checked Nintendo.com
Nintendo.com wrote:Nintendo DS features a separate media port for Game Boy Advance cartridges. Nintendo DS allows you to play all your favorite Game Boy Advance games in a single-player mode.

That's not really fair, though. Although it still does give more gameplay to the DS over the PSP. Giving it the older games from the older hand-held. It seems to me that Nintendo could win over more fans if they also allowed a backwards compatability with GB and GBC games.

Although the GBM also only plays GBA games, according to Nintendo, that's well over 700 games. So it seems like that with all the DS games, and the GBA games, you'd have more variety, albiet it not as great graphics as the PSP, but graphics aren't everything.

Yep. Only GBA games. But because of the backlit screens that are VASTLY superior to that of the SP, the games look a HELLUVA lot better! I'm playing Fire Emblem (the GBA game) right now and it's got fantastic quality!

Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:55 pm

arogance1 wrote:
Ioudas Omnis wrote: and has the ability to play movies (UMD, but movies) go with the PSP.

Why would you want to watch films on a tiny screen when you can buy it on DVD for less money and play it on your big tv screen in you house, sat in comfort with family and friends being able to enjoy it with you

Some people like to watch movies on the go, and it beats carrying around a hulking portable DVD player.

Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:07 am

I am in the same dilemma of whether to buy a PSP. It would cost me over $500 to buy it here and it just seems not worth it. I only want to for the graphics/game value not to really watch movies or MP3s

Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:50 pm

A lot of people seem to forget that you can also surf on the internet with a PSP, download free movies (legally ofcourse) and play a lot of games which aren't for 80 % mario-involved

Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:56 pm

You're correct, I actually did forget about that. :P I've only seen one person use it (I haven't seen many people with a PSP in a hotspot), but it seemsed cool. :)
Topic locked