Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:47 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

I...don't think the name is ever going to grow on me, honestly. I loved "Revolution" as a name, but Wii...ehhh...not so much. I'm excited about the controllers and such (Nintendo forcing gamers to get active while playing video games? Brilliant!), but I just can't get over the name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:36 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: Outside on your boulevarde scaring small children. Um... or in Illinois.
ria wrote:
Honestly, all the people who are making fun of the name are just proving that they are extremely childish and petty...

So... everyone that doesn't just fall to their knees and decide that the name is okay are fools? People know what they like, and they know what they don't like. People like the Wii console and games (from what they've seen), but they hate the name. They have every right to say what they want about it. Some think it's childish, but some think that griping about the jokes is more childish.

Quote:
And those who make fun of it, obviously had no real interest or support of the Revolution/Wii anyway!

If you haven't noticed, most of the people on this thread (actually all, I believe, with an exception of maybe one or two) have an interest in the Revolution but still dislike the name. Same goes mostly anywhere you look. Hell, I'm going to buy one when it comes out, yet I'm not going to deny that the name is terrible.

Many PS3 supporters hated the boomerang when it was released, and also the pricetag, but they're still going to buy it (though the boomerang may very well be scrapped from what has been hinted).

Many people hated Microsoft's seperation of the 360 into the two differently priced packs, one having everything, one having nearly nothing, and the fact that they were disappointed on release day, but still, people that plan on buying it are going to buy it.

In both of those cases, consumers were able to look past what was presented to them and decided to go along with their gaming routine, yet as it will be, these things will never be let down.

Quote:
I decided, even after first hearing the new name, that I was gonna buy this console no matter what the hell it was called!

So did pretty much everyone else that plans on buying it.

Quote:
Any true fan of Nintendo should be able to look beyond the NAME of the console, and see that its gonna be truly awesome and extremely fun!

So can pretty much everyone else that plans on buying it. But... the name still isn't great, and that won't change unless the name does, no matter how great the Wii turns out to be. People may become more accepting to it, but I doubt it will ever be thought of as "good", and because of that, it will always be a grounds for spoofs and jokes, and meaningly so. If you can't make fun of whatever you support (as in anything you support), then you're just taking things too seriously.

Quote:
And if any of you disagree than that's your problem, not mine. :lol:

Well, it obviously bugged you enough to make this post, didn't it?

*cough*

Anyway...

... as someone on another forum mentioned (well out of context, but it still holds true), if they wanted a more meaningful name and still wanted everyone to go "OMG THEY NAMED IT THAAAT!? HAHA POTTY JOKE!", they should have just called it Doo (or Duu, since misspelling is cool). At least that's more symbolic since you're doing something, which is what Nintendo has been going for ever since they started the Revolution. O_O Wii is just just stating that they're being inclusive, of every gamer and their environment, which is nothing new as far as Nintendo is concerned... unless...

[sarcasm]...Nintendo decides to drop everything and name it the Dewey (Duu + Wii) =O[/sarcasm]

CLICK IT!
Thanks to Laq. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:10 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I didn't like or hate the name when it first came out, but now I think it's kinda clever. The two 'i's in the name look like people and/or the controllers, which could mean the name is more of a ymbol than a word. One person called it English Kanji (Kanji=Chinese alphabet, which is based on picture-like symbols), and I like that metaphor.

Also, Wii could mean 'wee' in the small definition of the word; after all, the thing is the smallest of the three next-gen systems.

Yes, I'm still alive...still alive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:28 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

You know, if you really think about it, this entire name change is probably a big hoax by Nintendo to try and generate some publicity.

Before you press the New Post button to reply, hear me out on this one :P

First off, we have to think about the timing of the announcement. With E3 approaching steadily, you'd think that Nintendo would save this kind of announcement for that big event. But no, they decide to announce it just over a week beforehand.

Secondly, think about the impact of the announcement. Non-gamers who would otherwise have never have heard of the Revolution are now hearing about the Wii from normal channels (Newspapers, news, magazines, etc). Nintendo took control over the internet for a whole day, with forumites worldwide going crazy, net journalists scrambling for scoops, and bloggers writing entries about their feelings towards this name change. The world was reminded forcibly that Nintendo is still in the game and that they're not going anywhere soon.

Thirdly, and probably most interestingly, the name Wii has not been trademarked, patented, or anything. Not even by a dummy corporation. Nothing. Usually, if companies wish to keep a name of one of their products a secret, they will register it under a dummy corporation until the time is right to reveal it. Nintendo did not operate under this procedure with the name Wii. Meaning that any marketing they may have thought up for the name could just go bye-bye the moment another company decided to take the name legally.

Fourth, Nintendo themselves almost claimed that the name was... well, crap .("However, Nintendo is confident that, after the initial shock wears off, people will take to the Wii name" http://www.gamespot.com/news/6148462.html) Most companies would be trying to encourage their potential customers that the name is good. But not Nintendo. They acknowledge that the name is a total shock. Not to mention that the name is virtually unpronouncable in Japan, which happens to be their home country. It's like Microsoft deciding to name their new console the Hggrelniushnet or something. It just doesn't work. Whilst I'm talking about the name, you have to think about what would have gone through the marketing department when this name was first suggested. One of the key factors that Marketers look for is the ease with which the product is parodied. And a name like Wii is practically painting a target for itself, especially in the English Language.

Who here honestly swallowed all their garbage about Wii representing togetherness or the uniting of gamers. It's cliche', it's embarassing and it sure doesn't seem like the Nintendo we all know. They're not marketing world peace, they're not advertising a miracle drug. It's just a console. A cool one at that, but just a console. Wii? No way.

No, I believe the announcement is nothing more that a way for Ninendo to get the world's eyes on them for E3. They've booked the Kodak Theatre for a supposedly HUGE announcement(s) regarding the Revolution (Wii is not it's name, I'm certain of it). But what use is an announcement if nobody is around to hear it? By generating all this buzz, the world is now curious to see just what this 'Wii' is, and why it deserves to have such an eccentric name. This is just what they want. You watch. At E3, Nintendo will firstly reveal the true final name of their console, and will then reveal their final secret.

Hopefully I'm not wrong. 'Coz a name like Wii, it just doesn't sit right with me.

Randomness- Werewolf and Other Stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:02 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

First post from me in donkey's years...

People saying that they don't like the controller, are you aware of the controller 'shell' that will be released? It will fit over the remote control style controller, and likely be designed similarly to the Gamecube controller. IGN did a mock up version here: http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/art ... 12-000.jpg

As for the Wii name, I personally like it, but think it will have a negative effect on the casual Nintendo buyer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:16 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I don't think the name will stay as Wii.

After doing some digging about, I found out there is no Wii.com or .org or .net or .co.uk
Don't you think they'd have the website ready yet, even if it was just an advert saying its coming soon?

I think what Nintendo is doing is classed as "Viral Marketing". They intentionally choose a terrible name, so that people will talk to others about it, so instead of 1/5th of a school talking about it, they now have 3/5th, which is good as it makes people more aware of its existence. They spend less money on marketing, whilst reaching more people than a traditional ad campaign would.
On several game sites, like Gamespot, there was over 11,000 messages about the name change in a few days. You don't get better advertising than that.

So, next week at E3, they'll say something like "Due to popular demand (or something similar), we have decided to change it back to Revolution".

In the UK, think back to Coco Pops, when they changed the name to Choco Crispies and got everyone talking about it.
In the US, think back to New Coke when they changed the flavor for a few weeks then changed it back due to popular demand.

They intended to change it back all along, but it got people talking about it for ages.

Get your egg at http://www.pickle-green.com/egraphics/main.php?id=eggs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:39 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

arogance1 wrote:
I don't think the name will stay as Wii.

After doing some digging about, I found out there is no Wii.com or .org or .net or .co.uk
Don't you think they'd have the website ready yet, even if it was just an advert saying its coming soon?

I think what Nintendo is doing is classed as "Viral Marketing". They intentionally choose a terrible name, so that people will talk to others about it, so instead of 1/5th of a school talking about it, they now have 3/5th, which is good as it makes people more aware of its existence. They spend less money on marketing, whilst reaching more people than a traditional ad campaign would.
On several game sites, like Gamespot, there was over 11,000 messages about the name change in a few days. You don't get better advertising than that.

So, next week at E3, they'll say something like "Due to popular demand (or something similar), we have decided to change it back to Revolution".

In the UK, think back to Coco Pops, when they changed the name to Choco Crispies and got everyone talking about it.
In the US, think back to New Coke when they changed the flavor for a few weeks then changed it back due to popular demand.

They intended to change it back all along, but it got people talking about it for ages.

Actually, the name 'Wii' has now been Copyrighted by Nintendo, and it's been on hold since November.

Also, the website http://wii.nintendo.com is now in existance.

Face it. The name 'Wii' is here to stay, and you'll just have to accept it. If Nintendo suddenly turned around and said 'Haha! We were just kidding!', so many people would abandon them and not take anything they do seriously.

ImageImage
Set - Sunnie
Blinkie - Chass
Left.
ALL HAIL XENU!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:02 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Ixistant wrote:
If Nintendo suddenly turned around and said 'Haha! We were just kidding!', so many people would abandon them and not take anything they do seriously.

Wasn't that the initial reaction by most people when they heard the new name for it? I know it was very close to mine :P

ImageImage

Boom-shaka-laka! Rawr come and join us in the Randomness
Sig Halloween'd by Tom!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:27 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Anoohilator wrote:
Ixistant wrote:
If Nintendo suddenly turned around and said 'Haha! We were just kidding!', so many people would abandon them and not take anything they do seriously.

Wasn't that the initial reaction by most people when they heard the new name for it? I know it was very close to mine :P

I mean everyone. Games companies would just turn their backs on them and magazones would just say 'Ah well. Nintendo really are failing if they had to pull a stunt like that to get attention. Let's ignore them as punishment.'

ImageImage
Set - Sunnie
Blinkie - Chass
Left.
ALL HAIL XENU!!!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3