Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: DDR Tips?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:25 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

I wasn't sure where this went, so move wherever necessary. :)

Anyway, at a local truck stop, they have a DDR machine. I wanted to try it out, and I did. To put it bluntly, I suck. XD Does anyone have any tips? I've got $7 atleast to waste in the thing. XD

The reason I wanna know is there was this 15 year old (or something like that) kid that was pwnsome. It made me feel really bad...XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:47 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: New Zealand Weapon: HaaH Sword Species: Human Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Download Stepmania for your computer and when you press the keys practice the moves with your feet. Apparently that's how my friend learned to play DDR on the actual machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:48 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Do they make a Linux version? :P

I've been trying FFR (FlashFlashRevolution), and I remember a lot. Something else also caught my eye. It's a DDR for your computer called Dance Praise. I think the Andy Hunter was what caught my eye. XD I'm just not sure how much it is. :(

Maybe I can do that with FFR. Thanks Chris. :D

EDIT - WAUGH! o_o;; It's $50. I think it's gonna take a while for me to get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:52 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Just play a lot. Try to get a cheap pad and game for home, and just work your way up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:54 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

DM was on fire! wrote:

I've been trying FFR (FlashFlashRevolution), and I remember a lot. Something else also caught my eye. It's a DDR for your computer called Dance Praise. I think the Andy Hunter was what caught my eye. XD I'm just not sure how much it is. :(

Practice FFR so you learn the rhythm of the arrows, as in knowing how to follow the beat and press when the arrows match up with the outline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:14 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: New Zealand Weapon: HaaH Sword Species: Human Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
DM was on fire! wrote:

I wouldn't use FFR considering that it is it's own project not using DDR songs, and it lags being flash based.

There is a linux version.

http://www.stepmania.com/wiki/Downloads
And the DDR mixes

Please tell me you know how to use torrents?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:44 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

One thing that most, if not all, DDR newbies tend to do is to move their feet back in the center of the pad after each step. Don't do that, it wastes time and you'll probably won't hit the next arrow in time. Just leave your foot on the arrow you hit, and if it's the same arrow again, simply pick up your foot, and hit it again. It'll feel more natural that way, trust me.

Zero set 13 of 26

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:43 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I managed to buy a dance pad for $15 (aus dollars, sot hats like ten US bucks) and I practised secretly at home, then went in and STUNNED all the kids who play at the shopping centre afterschool. I felt so cool.

They cheered me. I am their god (i think i have the highscore on the machine still, but i think the machine was removed)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:27 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Christopher wrote:
Please tell me you know how to use torrents?

I...don't use them. There isn't one for my Linux. I already tried when I was going to download a couple subs of Ojamajo Doremi. <<
Plus, I'm not having a lag problem. oO I only do when I try multiplayer.

Sunnie wrote:
One thing that most, if not all, DDR newbies tend to do is to move their feet back in the center of the pad after each step. Don't do that, it wastes time and you'll probably won't hit the next arrow in time. Just leave your foot on the arrow you hit, and if it's the same arrow again, simply pick up your foot, and hit it again. It'll feel more natural that way, trust me.

Yup, that's what I was doing. Thanks. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:10 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

You may not notice the lag, but with all flash things I assure you it is there. Near the end of the song you'll get frustrated as your beats seem a little off. At least that's how it was for me when flash FFR.

And since you won't do torrents *LOUD SIGH* :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:35 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Location: New Jersey. The state we love to hate and hate to love.
Sunnie wrote:

Exactly.

Also, if you miss an arrow, forget about it. I've watched a lot of DDR newbies miss, say an up arrow, and then hit it again after it's gone as if it will help.
I really suggest buying a home version and practicing before going out and playing it. Those quarters can really add up and burn a hole in your pocket! ;)
Also, once you get to Standard and beyond, don't be afraid to create your own center of balance. Meaning, you don't have to primarily stay in the center of the mat. It sounds odd, and I can't word it correctly but once you get better, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Good luck fellow DDR fan!
And, may you not fall and get blood all over your mat like I've had the experience of doing! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:59 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

No amount of FFR, no matter how good I could get, could improve me at all in DDR. So I went and bought the home versions of DDR. There was a huuuuge difference the next time I went to the arcade...

While playing, something you should remember is that the arrow interface, from left to right, is ←↓↑→ (unless a modification option has been turned on, but that's unlikely). That way, when the arrows scroll faster, all you have to do is look at the columns and not confuse yourself.

Also, a common combo-breaker is not stepping far enough, especially backwards towards the down arrow.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:50 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yoshi wrote:
Also, a common combo-breaker is not stepping far enough, especially backwards towards the down arrow.

Amen. Also, this sounds like common sense but start on beginner mode. I've seen newbies put it on heavy then wonder why the poo they suck so badly. I have been doing it on beginner about a year and I'm only JUST getting where I can do light. Also, the songs are different difficulties. Green are easiest, red are hardest. A green song on light is about the same as a red on beginner.

I am, and forever will be, The Queer Alpaca
they/them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:27 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

The best way of getting better is by playing, ofcourse! Also, playing in the arcade is better, if you have the money, because the soft home mats vary in size. Just keep at it and you'll get better. Playing other Bemani/Music Simulation games might also help with yout timing (Guitar Freaks, Drummania, BeatmaniaIIDX, Guitar Hero, Keyboardmania, etc).

Goin' on almost six years of playing here, but I still can't pass Max 300 on Heavy Double, Sakura is cake though. It doesn't really matter what skill level you're at or how long you've played, everyone has things that they can get better at. So ya just gotta keep practicing. Try playing a few games doing songs you know you can pass and do well, then on the last song (or two) do some slightly harder ones that you haven't done before, and slowly get used to them.

I'm not very good at advice, sorry. xD

"How are you?"
The letter from her stopped suddenly..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:42 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

The only advice I can give you is to actually go out and practice playing on an arcade machine. That's the number one way of improving.

Stepmania is a good tool to use to get rhythm down, especially while enabling assist tick.
The thing about stepmania and DDR home versions is that the timing window is pretty big compared to the DDR Arcade cabs.

I've played on an arcade cab for about two years. You really see the improvement the more you play. Though I don't have any AAA's, I have 117 AA's so far.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next