An artistic oracle. Meet fellow creators and swap advice. Every skill you can imagine is on show.
Topic locked

GIMP Animation

Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:12 am

I'm working with Gimp right now because I'm a very poor college student who can't afford a real image program and I would like to try my hand at animation. I downloaded the animation program, but I can't get it to work for me. Does anyone know how to use animation in Gimp? Or perhaps you can direct me to a site that explains it? (I tried the help read-me file that came with it, but it didn't help me much.) Thanks to anyone who is of assistance! :)

Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:18 pm

Well, I haven't actually done any animation in Gimp myself beyond some very basic things, because my copy keeps crashing; it seems to have an issue with the Wacom Intuos2 tablets under Windows, and I'm still looking for a stable fix. How basic of instructions are you looking for? Is there anything in particular you're looking to animate?

http://jimmac.musichall.cz/tutor.php3 might help; there's a basic and advanced tutorial for it there. If that doesn't help you, let me know what you're looking to do, and I'll either find a tutorial for it or figure out how to do it and write the tutorial myself. (=

Also, Gimp is a real image program, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I'm quite positive it's got more features than the average hobbyist/home user would ever need, just a slightly sharper learning curve.

Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:49 pm

Thanks, I'll have to try that tutorial when I have some time later this afternoon.

All I'm really interested in (for now) is learning how to make blinkies and av/sig animation. I figure once I have the basics down, I'll be able to figure out anything else I need from there.

Edit: I tried it out and I think I have the basics. I'm going to have to play with it a great deal more to get it down though. Thanks so much for your help. I could have never figured it out with out that tutorial. :)
Topic locked