Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Airbrushed transparency problem
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:06 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Ok I'm having problems with saving an image. I've done cutouts and then airburshed a border around the cutouts it looks great in GIMP, but when I save it it doesn't work out so well.

Here's what I get with saving it as a gif:

And here's what I get when I save it as a jpg:

You can see the issues I'm having with this. If anyone knows of another way I can save it that will work on this forum, advice is much appreciated.

I'm finally back for the summer, although hopefully I'll spend a little more time away from this screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:41 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

GIF makes the edges pixelly and JPG doesn't support transparency. I would save it as PNG if you want the background with the airbrush, but it won't look transparent in some browsers (pretty sure it doesn't in IE).

You may just have to ditch the idea of the airbrush around the cutouts.

Zero set 13 of 26

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:40 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

PNG files do support transparency in IE in certain formats -- I believe it's 8-bit PNGs that work (at least, the one I saved that way this morning shows up in IE correctly). (= It's just older browsers that don't support it at all... but that's a steadily dwindling number of people using them.

I haven't used GIMP in a while... does it have an option to dither the transparency when saving as GIF or PNG? Changing that setting can often help when problems like that come up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:37 am 
PPT God
PPT God

I rarely save as GIF in GIMP because I really dislike how transparancy and picture quality comes out. Best best would be to save as PNG if there is transparancy (no animation sadly, and usually a huge file size), or JPG if there's no animation or transparancy. :)

Click here, click here! Don't be a c-c-c-combo breaker! :D
THANK YOU ZILARY. <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:28 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

laq wrote:
Best best would be to save as PNG if there is transparancy (no animation sadly, and usually a huge file size)

I have to disagree. I've never had a PNG that's come up over a bit more than .gif would.

the greatest love story never told.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:34 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Hmm... Tried the png... it seems like the transparency works in some places but not in others. For instance, it worked when I viewed it with windows viewer and when I viewed the image individually in photobucket. But on the main page of photobucket, it had a black background, and you can see the results here.

It gave me a lot of options when I went to save it, maybe I didn't select the right ones.

Oh and I did look for a dithering option to save it as a gif, but there wasn't any... but I'll check out the dithering options for when it gets converted from RGB to indexed.

Edit: This is what I came out with after playing with the dithering options:

I'll probably just abandon the airbrushing thing if you guys don't have much more in the way of suggestions.

Thanks for helping me with this. :)

I'm finally back for the summer, although hopefully I'll spend a little more time away from this screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:37 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

hyperflutterby wrote:

Hmm... Tried the png... it seems like the transparency works in some places but not in others. For instance, it worked when I viewed it with windows viewer and when I viewed the image individually in photobucket. But on the main page of photobucket, it had a black background, and you can see the results here.

It gave me a lot of options when I went to save it, maybe I didn't select the right ones.

Oh and I did look for a dithering option to save it as a gif, but there wasn't any... but I'll check out the dithering options for when it gets converted from RGB to indexed.

Edit: This is what I came out with after playing with the dithering options:

I'll probably just abandon the airbrushing thing if you guys don't have much more in the way of suggestions.

Thanks for helping me with this. :)

It's transparent for me. o_O What browser are you using?

Dawn, when I save GIF v. PNG, the filesizes are nearly double. Look at this -

Image (GIF - 22KB)
Image(PNG - 47KB)

I've never played with any of the saving options on GIMP, so those are both saved with the default settings. *shrug*

Click here, click here! Don't be a c-c-c-combo breaker! :D
THANK YOU ZILARY. <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:46 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I'm using internet explorer. :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]