For Neopets ONLY discussion.
Topic locked

Perfspot Ads

Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:50 pm

I may be making a bigger deal of this than it is, but I feel the need to at least vent about it.

Is anyone else being stalked by the annoying Perfspot ads on Neopets? If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. (I probably shouldn't post screenshots here.) I mean the banner ad with the topless woman "seeking a man aged 18-35", and the ultra-annoying "strip_14.mpg" featuring a female fanny wearing nothing but a ruffled belt and a thong. I can't go anywhere on Neopets (or anywhere else on the internet, for that matter) without this butt taking up a big chunk of my screen. I've reported it as inappropriate several times, but I think I'm just banging my head against a brick wall. I'm hoping there is power in numbers, if other people report it too.

I'll step down off my soapbox now. :)

If, however, these ads can't/won't be removed, is there any way to block them short of taping a square of paper to my monitor? I'm seriously tired of having to look at this butt.

Re: Perfspot Ads

Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:07 pm

Ryuutenshi wrote:If, however, these ads can't/won't be removed, is there any way to block them short of taping a square of paper to my monitor? I'm seriously tired of having to look at this butt.
Yes. Firefox. Then get the add-on "Ad-Block Plus" (under tools). You'll never want to go back again.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:03 pm

I downloaded it, and am giving it a test drive. So far so good! Thanks for the tip! :hug:

Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:20 am

Opera has a built-in adblocker function as well. You just right-click in a non-picture area of the page and select "block content..." From there, you can block images (or entire website subdirectories) as desired. It works very well.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:25 pm

If it's coming up constantly on other sites it's probably some sort of adware and not necessarily from neopets at all. Download Ad-Aware, Spybot, or something similar and it should be able to knock it out of your computer. I wouldn't know if it was coming from neo in the first place though because I've never seen it, Adblock takes care of all my annoying and even not-annoying ads. :)

Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:16 am

I thought it might be adware or something, but Ad-Aware wasn't getting rid of it. I tried switching to Firefox, and it's doing the trick quite nicely! Just a blank square now instead of the fugly butt. I'm loving the adlessness! :lol:
Topic locked