For Neopets ONLY discussion.
Topic locked

A scrow!?

Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:38 am

From the news:

New Improved Auctions!
As promised, a new auction system has gone live today. Now when you bid on an item, that money is taken from your account and held in a 'scrow'. If you lose the auction, the Neopoints will be returned to your account. You cannot withdraw an auction or a bid, so make sure you only bid if you really want to buy the item.

Uh... don't they mean in escrow?

Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:40 pm

Well a scrow is like a scroll, right? Maybe they mean it in the same way as a bond. Eh, whatever.

They probabaly did mean escrow, which is my new favouritest word ever.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:58 pm

I laughed soooo hard at that. I mean that can't even be a typo. 0_o

Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:37 pm

Awww... Isn't that cute. Donna is trying to impress us by using big people words.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:55 pm

I'd give her the benefit of the doubt-- maybe escrow isn't a word used in England (I have no idea, but I sure hope not). Either that or it's a tongue-in-cheek joke for those who get it, and a funny sounding word for those who don't. It made me smile, so intentional or not, I think it's great. :)

Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:35 pm

I'd like to believe it's a joke, but I think whoever wrote the news (is it usually Donna?) has only heard the word "escrow" and honestly thinks it's "a scrow" instead (when I was younger, I made a similar mistake with "hors d'ouveres" -- it looks nothing like how it sounds, so I had spelled it "orderves").

"A scrow" amused me too, though. :)

Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:45 pm

Hehe I was actually wondering about that myself hmm.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:10 pm

I dotn understand...whats new about the auction? :?:

Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:23 pm

You can't withdraw your bid, and it takes your np when you do. Kind of like the TP does. :)

Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:27 pm

coming2atvnearu wrote:Awww... Isn't that cute. Donna is trying to impress us by using big people words.

XD So mean...but so funny.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:55 pm

It is pretty funny. :D I do hope it's a joke.

In any case, all I have to say is, finally. Geez, maybe less auction rigging now? Who knows. I'll still lose to the snipers anyhow.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:31 pm

i'm pretty sure adam writes the news and donna does the editorial, but i still think it's a funny typo!

Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:27 pm

Hmmmm, it's much better now. It stops people from making really low bids on one account, and really high bids on another so no-one else bids, then they just mov their np so that the auction goes to the really low bidder, them. Annoying.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:46 pm

Mh... the auctions still don't work for me

Re: A scrow!?

Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:11 pm

Cranberry wrote:From the news:

New Improved Auctions!
As promised, a new auction system has gone live today. Now when you bid on an item, that money is taken from your account and held in a 'scrow'. If you lose the auction, the Neopoints will be returned to your account. You cannot withdraw an auction or a bid, so make sure you only bid if you really want to buy the item.

Uh... don't they mean in escrow?

I think they definitely didn't mean to put scrow -
scrow

2. A clipping from skins; a currier's cuttings.

Ewww...... I hope my NP isn't held there...
Topic locked