Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Neopets! So wats up with the virus?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:37 pm 

so i heard about the paint brush scam and it can give your computer a virus and crash your hardrive. Do u have any usefull info to tell me? Like i also want to know how long is it going to take to get this all setteled out? :o

Post subject: Re: Neopets! So wats up with the virus?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:06 pm 

First, I'd like to welcome you to PPT :)

We have a discussion about the security issues in this thread. There was recently a story on Fox News; maybe that's where you heard about this? If you have any specific questions, you can post them in that thread and we'll do our best to answer them :)

An answer to your current questions:

1. There is a scam going around where people will post a message (or Neomail you) saying something like "Click this link to get a free paintbrush" or other valuable item. The link will lead you to a page where your login information is stolen and the "hackers" will break into your account. The website may or may not contain a virus.

There is another scam going around where there are scripts, called 'cookie grabbers' or 'CGs', put into pages like galleries, shops, and user lookups (user-editable areas of the site). These will steal your login information and you will likely lose your account.

The best way to avoid these scams is to have a good antivirus software installed, make sure your firewall is working properly, and to avoid clicking on suspicious links or going to galleries and lookups.

2. TNT said they were working on this problem, but in reality, it will never be fixed completely. There are times where the cookie grabbers go away for a few months, but they always come back. You should always be cautious of clicking on unknown links and remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]