Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dice of Destiny
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:48 pm 

A new game released on 9 July.

http://www.neopets.com/games/play.phtml?game_id=1126

The goal is to roll dice and try to use numbers to form their sum. Simple in concept, but my highest score so far is only 435.

Anyone have any strategy tips? It seems like it's easiest to pick off the highest and lowest numbers first, and then concentrate on the numbers in the middle, but I think other interpretations are gonna be welcome, too.

Post subject: Re: Dice of Destiny
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:08 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

My highest so far is 415 but then again I only played twice

set by Byakuya San.....Thanks your awesome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:32 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

I've just managed a 595 after beating all 5 levels. I don't understand how people are scoring in the 800's. The trick is that you can use as many dice as you'd like to make combos, so you're better off using the high numbers first and leaving the lower numbers (because those can more easily be used in different sums). So I try to use up the 7-9 as soon as I can, and then use combinations of the lower numbers while still rolling 2 dice (trying to leave the 1 if I have a choice between different combos). Once I'm down to 1 or 2 dice, I choose to either continue rolling 2 or switch to rolling 1, depending on the probabilities.

For example, the probability of rolling a 7 with 2 dice is 1/6. Say you have a 1 and a 6 left. Should you roll 2 dice or 1? It depends on how many rolls you have left. With 10 rolls left, the probability of rolling a 7 is 83.8% (calculated as 1 minus the probability of NOT rolling a 7, or 1 minus (5/6)^10). On the other hand, the probability of rolling both a 1 and a 6 using a single die is actually 86.8%, slightly higher (it was kind of complicated to calculate this one, and I'm tired, so I'm not 100% sure I did it right). With 5 rolls left, the probability of rolling a 7 is 59.8%, but the probability of rolling both a 1 and a 6 falls to 34.3% -- much lower. (These calculations ignore the possibility of rolling a 6 with 2 dice and then switching to a single die to try for the 1, and also the possibility of switching to 2 dice for your final roll if you have not attained either a 1 or a 6 yet).

This means that your best strategy could actually change depending on the number of rolls you have left and your success (or not) in previous rolls. I think it would be relatively simple to program a calculator for this game that would tell you whether to roll 1 or 2 dice (as well as when to switch strategies) depending on what dice you have left (once you get down to, say, 2 dice) and how many rolls are left. Someone really skilled in statistics could probably figure it out for the entire game.

Blue graffitied on my signature... But it made me laugh, so it's all good!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:15 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

YAY! I beat AAA with a score of 510
I want to take the neocash challenge but I dont have any neocash

set by Byakuya San.....Thanks your awesome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:12 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

I just took another look at the high score table, and I don't understand how the top scores are even possible. You need to get a total of 45 to clear a round, so the fewest rolls you could manage that in is 4. There are 5 rounds, and you get 100 points for clearing each round. You get 20, 17, 15, 12, and 10(?) rolls per round, which means the absolute most bonus rolls you could get is 54. The maximum bonus is 10 points. So assuming you managed to clear all the dice in just 4 rolls for all 5 rounds (which is highly unlikely, by even roughest approximation way less than 1/100,000) and roll the 10-point bonus for every single bonus roll (which is even less likely -- I actually calculated this one out to be 1/3.4x10^51!), the highest score possible is 1040.

There have been over 70,000 plays today, so assuming there are 100,000 plays per day every day of the month, that's only 3 million plays per month. Which means a perfect score of 1040 should only occur once every 9x10^40 millenia (and that's only factoring into account the probability based off the bonus rounds, and not the probability of completing every round in 4 rolls)! But the high score table is littered with scores even higher than 1040. So how else can you get points in this game? Is there some secret bonus round you can unlock? I have completed one round in 4 rolls before, and that did not unlock a bonus. I have not tried to clear the dice in any particular order... Is there a cheat code?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:50 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Siniri wrote:
I just took another look at the high score table, and I don't understand how the top scores are even possible. You need to get a total of 45 to clear a round, so the fewest rolls you could manage that in is 4. There are 5 rounds, and you get 100 points for clearing each round. You get 20, 17, 15, 12, and 10(?) rolls per round, which means the absolute most bonus rolls you could get is 54. The maximum bonus is 10 points. So assuming you managed to clear all the dice in just 4 rolls for all 5 rounds (which is highly unlikely, by even roughest approximation way less than 1/100,000) and roll the 10-point bonus for every single bonus roll (which is even less likely -- I actually calculated this one out to be 1/3.4x10^51!), the highest score possible is 1040.

There have been over 70,000 plays today, so assuming there are 100,000 plays per day every day of the month, that's only 3 million plays per month. Which means a perfect score of 1040 should only occur once every 9x10^40 millenia (and that's only factoring into account the probability based off the bonus rounds, and not the probability of completing every round in 4 rolls)! But the high score table is littered with scores even higher than 1040. So how else can you get points in this game? Is there some secret bonus round you can unlock? I have completed one round in 4 rolls before, and that did not unlock a bonus. I have not tried to clear the dice in any particular order... Is there a cheat code?

Bare in mind, for the most part, the high school tables are littered with people who cheat. Most of them are 2 month old accounts with trophies in most Flash games. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:38 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

littleboy6326 wrote:
Bare in mind, for the most part, the high school tables are littered with people who cheat. Most of them are 2 month old accounts with trophies in most Flash games. :P

While I realize that, you'd think TNT would set an automatic flag on anyone who managed to get over the maximum possible score. Which makes me wonder whether I'm totally missing some major component of the game.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]