Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do price limits in shops/trades make sense?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:13 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

A few years ago...well, more like 5-6 years now*, you could buy pretty much everything you needed in the shops. Paintbrushes, morphing potions, and other things included. It seems like there are a lot more items that are just barely unbuyable than there were before, too. This limits the number of things I can do on a whim in-game, which just irks me.

I think TNT should re-evaluate how the shops/trades work with regard to price limits. I remember when the price limit for buyable items in shops was raised to 99,999 np, so changes are not unprecedented.

To my mind, the main problem with just removing price restrictions in shops altogether is that Illusen's/Jhudora's quests would become fairly easy. If you had the money, your luck wouldn't matter except with regard to the prices of the items you were asked for--you wouldn't have to hope that a seller would be online. The supply of the higher-level prizes could skyrocket, and prices for them could plummet. If TNT just raised the limit to 250k instead of removing it entirely, that wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Removing the pure np limits for the Trading Post would very nearly kill off the Auction House. However, I don't think that's any great loss compared to the joy of never having to see a page of "Neomail for auction" wishlists again.

Does anyone else hate (or love) the price limits? See anything I'm missing that means we must preserve the limits as they are? Think 250k is far too high/low for a price limit in the shops?

*(Augh! I can refer to events in the middle of my time on Neopets as having occurred more than a few years ago! Have I really wasted this much of my time on Neopets? Man, I'm going to go package meals for housebound AIDS patients or climb a mountain or something now.)

ImageImageImage
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. - Samuel Clemens

Post subject: Re: Do price limits in shops/trades make sense?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:08 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Honestly? I think the price limits are superfluous. I always felt that things should be:
    User shops: buy whatever, at any price -> okay, given the judhora/illusen situation, maybe the 250k limit is okay
    TP: item-for-item trades -> I belive the "pue np" trades are just a way to get around the shop's price limits
    Auctions: where you can get a bargain if you're lucky

Then again, I wasn't around 5-6 years ago. Aside from the quests, anything that may have happened for the to institue the limits?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:15 pm 

With nearly everything costing more than 100k, the shop limit makes little sense. Here is what I'd like to see:

Shop - 500k
Trades - 20 million
Auctions - Unlimited

Although I don't like the idea of newbies stretching the auction pages by putting Green Apples up for 1 billion NPs. There would be a certain limit to the "unlimited" (likely somewhere around 1 billion)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:45 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I think one of the reason they put up limits is the "mispricing" of the more valuable items.

Imagine putting up a rare item worth 1,000,000 NP and you just missed one zero and you sell it for 100,000 NP, sad isn't it. It would teach you a lesson to always double-check prices but the damage is already done.

If the limit is only 99,999 you wouldn't be losing a lot compared to the first example and it still taught you the lesson of double checking prices.

But yeah, if the limits were gone, jhudora and illusens quests would be so much easier (^_^)

I really should train myself to not get my hopes up with Neopets because I'll just end up falling harder on the ground... face first!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:07 pm 

I don't think we need a limit in the trading posts.

But the real reason for these limits was because of scammers - people would lose their accounts, and someone could easily empty out a 100 million bank account in one single trade if the limits didn't exist.

Now that scamming has been reduced (heck, we don't even have a PPT Mafia anymore!), and the introduction of PINs on bank accounts, it seems that the limits have lost their purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:00 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

i find the price limits really annoying, it makes expensive items really hard to buy and sell. i dont see why we still need them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:07 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: Watching little birds fly kamikaze missions into the walls.
I do think that the price limits on things need to change. The sole reason that there are "pure NP" trades is because the shop limit is ridiculous in comparison to the Neopian economy. The only things that I can actually buy in user stores that my pets need are codestones, bottled faeries, and books. I can't buy a single battledome weapon in a user shop.

It was an honor serving you PPT. I will miss you.
Click here to join my new werewolf forum!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:59 am 
PPT God
PPT God

I hate hate HATE the limits (just let me buy what I'm shopping for right now!) but they do play a nice role in the fight against inflation. It takes a while for item prices to finally roll over that 100k or 800k bump in prices, just because people don't want to bother with selling it on the "next hardest" place to sell it. (from shops to trades; trades to neomail to auctions) I remember when Draik Trans potions were stuck at 800k for quite a long while because they were so easy to sell, the sellers just wanted an offer and to accept and be on their merry way. Of course those have inflated to hell and back, but at least the limit held it in one spot for a while!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:19 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

metalmario wrote:
I hate hate HATE the limits (just let me buy what I'm shopping for right now!) but they do play a nice role in the fight against inflation. It takes a while for item prices to finally roll over that 100k or 800k bump in prices, just because people don't want to bother with selling it on the "next hardest" place to sell it. (from shops to trades; trades to neomail to auctions) I remember when Draik Trans potions were stuck at 800k for quite a long while because they were so easy to sell, the sellers just wanted an offer and to accept and be on their merry way. Of course those have inflated to hell and back, but at least the limit held it in one spot for a while!

You raise a very good point, actually. I despise the limit on the trading post - the one on the shops, honestly, doesn't bother me all that much - and think it needs to be increased to 1 million at the very least. I think the 20 million suggested earlier is a bit excessive, but I'd love to see it raised.

That being said, I honestly hadn't considered how they're preventing prices from rolling over that bump. At the same time, I've been noticing more trades that say something similar to "800k pure + [insert amount here] of ETS", which is where it starts going into the dubious territory.

Gone, forever.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:46 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Whoa, I seriously thought I responded to some things in this thread instead of posting and running. Well...it's not necromancy yet!

metalmario wrote:

I'll admit, I hadn't considered it as an anti-inflationary measure. Then again, enough people neomail me with (alas, lowball) offers of 250k that I'm not entirely sure of how much the hassle factor affects pricing. It definitely affects it more than I considered, though.

shapu wrote:
But the real reason for these limits was because of scammers - people would lose their accounts, and someone could easily empty out a 100 million bank account in one single trade if the limits didn't exist.

Now that scamming has been reduced (heck, we don't even have a PPT Mafia anymore!), and the introduction of PINs on bank accounts, it seems that the limits have lost their purpose.

The initial shop limit was 75k--it was raised to the current limit in late December 1999 (before the TP), if I remember correctly. I don't think it was instituted as an anti-scamming thing, but it definitely served that purpose.

I can't find a limit raise since November 2001 on the TP (though there definitely was one of about 200k sometime after that), though I did find this interesting note:

TNT in April 2001 wrote:
The Trading Post now accepts trades of 250,000 NP (up from 100,000). We will be taking this limit away entirely in the future.
(Bolding mine.)

The Neopian economy has really changed since 2001. I think it might be worthwhile to start sending in editorial questions about it; they've acknowledged it as a possibility in the past.

ImageImageImage
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. - Samuel Clemens

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:10 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Hey, that's cool, Pudding. It shows that at least once, they were open to the idea.

An editorial campaign would definitely be worth thinking about though. Maybe PPT can spearhead it :P It definitely needs to be raised from the 800k though, particularly with the inflation that's been going around.

Gone, forever.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:27 am 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

I think price limits in shops make sense, although I do think that they should be raised, though not much over 250k. I know that when subeta raised its price limit in shops (and then did away with it entirely) I made a couple of 'oh duh' mistakes and priced one thing at 400k instead of 4 mil. But at least on Subeta making points is easy and 3.6 could be made up in an hour or two, whereas if I made that mistake on neopets it would take me more than a month to make up my loss.

However, I mega-loathe the limits in trades and auctions. I get why they were put in place but they are incredibly annoying. I think at this point they actually encourage scamming rather than prevent it. I think that at the very least, both should allow the selling of hidden tower items. If the most expensive item in there is 16 mil, you should be able to make at least that much of a starting bid in the auction house. Ugh.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:57 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

The limits in shops are alright, I think. Rarely do I need to buy something over 100k. And when I do... it's a good thing there are limits, because I'd go broke with random spending. XD

However, the trading post price limit is just ridiculous. I thought it was way too low a few years ago, so now it's even worse. It needs to be lifted up to at least two million.

And the auctions... I can't remember what the limit on those are, but I do remember it bugged me once. XD

Image Image
la la la la BITEZ UR FACE

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]