Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Neo-Neopets?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:23 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: I don't know, but there'd better be chocolate. [art by Fiddelysquat]
From the Twin Skies forum....
Adam wrote:
Lastly, I can confirm that we're working on a new Virtual Pet site. It's going to have some elements of Twin Skies but won't be set in the Twin Skies universe. I'm not going to say anything more though, Donna would shout at me if I gave the game away!

Adam wrote:
Don't be worried. It's going to be the most awesomely absurd thing on the Internet. We're not really aiming to compete with Neopets or anything else out there, we just need an outlet for all the ideas that are too silly for Twin Skies!

This is an interesting turn of events, and I didn't think I'd see this day...but since it's here, let's speculate!
How do you think this site will compare to Neopets, both the older site we knew and its current incarnation? What elements of Neopets (past or present) would you expect to see? What elements of Neopets would you want, or not want, on this new site? Do you plan to check it out if/when it is released?

I'm trying not to get too interested, since it's likely to be a long time before the site is released, but I'm still looking forward to seeing what an older and wiser Adam and Donna do with their second virtual pet site. One thing's for sure: we won't be able to adopt Macy Gray.

"Oh, better far to live and die/Under the brave black flag I fly/Than play a sanctimonious part/With a pirate head and a pirate heart."

Post subject: Re: Neo-Neopets?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:25 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

borovan on TS Forums wrote:
No ads at all, we're planning to support the game with microtransactions. Obviously don't quote me on that because business models and market forces are very vulnerable to change, but that's our plan.

Honestly, I hate ads. I argued for months against the banners on Neopets, the offers on the signup form that permanently ruined your email address, the immersive advertising, Neopets Premium etc.. I hated it all from the start and so did Donna. There's a good reason that we left the company shortly after that ugly big banner went up on top of each page.

So...not trying to "quote him on that" as he says, but I'm really hoping that they can pull this off. I used to be a premium member of Neopets and never had to deal with them until I let my premium drop. They take SO long to load and are SO flashy. I actually can't play as long as I used to because of them because they end up giving me a headache with all the action going on on the screen.

Aside from the no-ads, I'm really excited to see what kind of art/ideas they come up with for this new virtual pets site. I'm also hoping that it will be aimed at people a little higher in age than Neopets.

...that's my 2 cents worth, at least.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:19 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Pink wrote:
I used to be a premium member of Neopets and never had to deal with them until I let my premium drop. They take SO long to load and are SO flashy. I actually can't play as long as I used to because of them because they end up giving me a headache with all the action going on on the screen.

Firefox + Adblock. They are your friends!

Pink wrote:
Aside from the no-ads, I'm really excited to see what kind of art/ideas they come up with for this new virtual pets site. I'm also hoping that it will be aimed at people a little higher in age than Neopets.

Higher in age than original Neopets, or current Neopets?

"Oh, better far to live and die/Under the brave black flag I fly/Than play a sanctimonious part/With a pirate head and a pirate heart."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:04 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

CURRENT Neopets. lol...let's just say I don't tell a lot of people that I play a game popular for tweens. (no offense)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:15 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Mongrel wrote:
Pink wrote:
I used to be a premium member of Neopets and never had to deal with them until I let my premium drop. They take SO long to load and are SO flashy. I actually can't play as long as I used to because of them because they end up giving me a headache with all the action going on on the screen.

Firefox + Adblock. They are your friends!

Not to take this too far off-topic, but does anyone have a good guide for using Firefox and Adblock to optimum effect on the Neopets site? I used to have a virtually ad-free existence, but at some point recently some setting got messed up, and now I've got those Overture Sponsored Links at the bottom of every page and can't figure out how to get rid of them again. I've been just trying to ignore them, but today I've got the birthday sidebar (yay for me) and I'm remembering all over again how nice it was when those ads were blocked...

Feel free to PM replies if that would be less annoying to those trying to stay on topic. :)

Self-referential signatures make the angels cry.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:27 am 
PPT God
PPT God

I think if you add *sponsored_links* as a filter that should work. If not, you could try downloading/redownloading a subscription list.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:11 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I'm excited for a "Neopets" from scratch. Smaller economy, wiser staff, less traffic (at first). All positives as of now!

Like in waiting rooms and long lines that made you late or mall parking lots on holidays
Blog | Flickr | Twitter | Zune

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:18 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Mongrel wrote:
I think if you add *sponsored_links* as a filter that should work. If not, you could try downloading/redownloading a subscription list.

Yup. Something (my) subscription list doesn't cover, though, are those white letters on a black background. To block them, just add #div(class^=ad_wrapper) to your list.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]