Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cheaters!? On Neopets!? My Word.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:44 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Now, I don't mean to fire my pistol at innocent bystanders, by all means, but the majority of people on the high score lists have got high scores in other flash games as well. Take bouncy supreme, for example. There are some ridiculously high scores on there - by all means, that is fair enough, they just so happen to be good at the game... But then you view their lookup, and they have trophies in 10/15 other Flash games too!

Maybe I'm just one of the minority who really suck at all Flash games, and fail to make more than 10k daily on them, but does anyone else suspect foul play? What should Neopets do to prevent cheaters from getting the trophies/rewards?

Post subject: Re: Cheaters!? On Neopets!? My Word.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:30 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Location: Faster than a speeding IM! Stronger than an ox on steroids! Pinker than a bottle of Pepto-Bismol!
There have been instances where I look at some scores and think to myself, "Wow. Is that score even possible?"

You never know. Given that they score so well in other games, they could just be a very good game player.

I'm sure that with all these games, there are ways to cheat. The challenge is for Neopets to determine who and how people are cheating.

Hold onto your seats people... the SL is back.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:39 pm 

Quite often, people are just very good at these games. Sometimes, you can spot a fake score on the HST. Certain games (like Dubloon Disaster) only give scores that end in a certain number (DD gives scores that are multiples of 5) or sometimes users have impossibly high scores (anyone with 4200 on Tug 'O' War)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Location: Faster than a speeding IM! Stronger than an ox on steroids! Pinker than a bottle of Pepto-Bismol!
I want to be that good at games... but I don't want to put in the time to become that good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:13 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

The suspicious part of me says that a lot of them are cheaters, especially this far into the month. The problem is that it's too hard to tell for sure with most scores. Some games there are obvious cheaters though. Just take the Advert Attack hst for example. 990 is absolutely impossible and currently the top 5 places have that score. You see it month after month, and nothing is ever done about it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Maybe Neopets is erring on the side of caution and not wanting to freeze people wrongly. (For some reason... this statement seems very ironic to me.)

*shrugs*

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:40 pm 

Some of the flash games are tied to the computers speed- for example I usually get 300-500 on Meerca Chase II, but playing on an old slow computer (original iMac) I can hit 2000. If the game is running at 1/2 speed or 1/4 speed you would be amazed at how easy some of the games get.

"A kingdom's greatest resource is an educated populace."
neopets username is also notlarryormoe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:17 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

notlarryormoe wrote:
Some of the flash games are tied to the computers speed- for example I usually get 300-500 on Meerca Chase II, but playing on an old slow computer (original iMac) I can hit 2000. If the game is running at 1/2 speed or 1/4 speed you would be amazed at how easy some of the games get.

Aw man, I just wish I could get a score of 300 on Meerca Chase. I am actually terrible at that game.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:00 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Neopets has some way that they review the games, maybe the record your movements or something. Once I got a fish negg, a power negg and a fish negg in a row and then died in Meerca Chase. They reviewed the game before they gave me the prize to see if my score was legitimate.

Like in waiting rooms and long lines that made you late or mall parking lots on holidays
Blog | Flickr | Twitter | Zune

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:24 am 

Usually, reviews are based on scores. Each game has a set "review score;" if a user scores higher than that, their score is withheld from the HST until a staff member approves it. What shocks me is that TNT does not put in a score filter on impossible scores (as mentioned earlier, 4200 on Tug 'O' War or 990 on Advert Attack) that red-flags any account scoring higher than that.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]