The big screen and the small screen... together at last! Hurrah!
Topic locked

which types of books do you like reading?

Horror
17%
Myths and Legends
No votes
Fantasy
67%
Modern
10%
Medieval types...
No votes
Love
3%
Plays...if that counts
3%

Total votes : 30

Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:18 pm

I prefer realistic fiction [like To Kill a Mockingbird] or non-fiction novels [Sophie's World] or historical fiction. I'm not much of a fantasy person, and I can't stand British classics like Jane Eyre.

Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:18 pm

I love mystery, ie. Agatha Christie. I'll read pretty much anything though. Like Star said I read things for the writing, not the genre.

Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:35 pm

I read many different genres. If i want to buy a book in Ottokar's/Waterstone's, i just head for 'Young Adult' or 'Classics' and pick something, pretty randomly.

The things I don't like to read are long 19th century novels like Wuthering Heights. Boredom.

Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:19 pm

Hey Hey, I am the first person to vote for "Horror"! :) That is my ultimate favorite type of books. I also enjoy Fantasy and True Crime.

Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:40 pm

I love reading about people in real life situations. You learn about many different types of people and how they deal with different situations. It's interesting to see how characters in books relate to you and those around you in real life. If the characters seem real, you really empthasise with them.

So modern books about realistic situations are my favourite.

Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:12 am

Oooh I almost forgot, I like romance and diary books too. I spend most of my computer time on PPT, but otherwise I reading fanfiction. Does that count?

Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:48 pm

:) thankyou for your votes guys! They're really helpfl ^_^ sorry I haven't got the ones you wanted on the poll also...as I said before, I'm bad at doing polls :(

Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:20 pm

Is it too late to post on this topic? :roll: My favourite book genres are fantasy, and modern, realistic fiction. :)

Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:21 pm

Fantasy and medieval stuff... Problem is, a lot of people have been selling things just because it's fantasy, they can make any crap they want so sometimes it's hard to find the good stuff, like LOTR and Harry Potter.

The only time I'll read history books is if they're interesting (I have never yet found a good history book besides Horrible Histories, The Very Bloody History of Britain, and this one thing called What Life was Like Among Druids and High Kings). Most history books are horribly boring and only make up for it in pictures.

But I love those little teensy books for kids about new pets, specifically cats, dogs, gerbils, hampsters and horses, the first four of which I have experience with. They say things like "don't pull Kitty's tail", but I just want to write in the consequences, like "Or Kitty will take her claws to the hand pulling her tail and you will have a bleeding stump of a clawed wrist where your hand once was". :lol:
Dogs: "You can take your dog on nice, long walks as you both enjoy a slow stroll through the park." My addition: "Unless your dog is a Siberian Husky or other sled-pulling dog, in which case you'll take him on long, painful walks which involve dragging across the asphalt until you bleed enough to attract a mountain lion..."
Gerbils: "When you get your gerbil trained up, he'll be sociable, friendly and nice." My addition: "Before he's trained, he'll be an absolute nightmare and bite all your fingers off."
Hampsters: "When you first take him home, make sure he has a clean cage." My addition: "Because you want him to be happy, as he'll die in three weeks very suddenly."
Horses: "Approach a horse slowly, as horses are easily spooked." My addition: "Especially by Nazgul."

Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:04 pm

I love reading horror stories eg. Dracula and I also love reading autobiographies books.

Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:16 am

I read modern, history, and old classic books.

Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:12 am

I read everything, though it has to be taken in context by saying that there are books that i'll read and like from each genre but there are others I dont.

I read alot of History (Ancient to the Cold War...anything!), alot of Sci Fi and Fantasy, and the occasional Horror, Love, Politics, Murder, whatever.

Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:55 am

I guess I'm for modern type books. o_O

Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:04 am

I mostly read sci-fi and fantasy, though I'll really read about anything that's well written or handed to me when I have nothing else to read. I'm easy to please. =P

Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:25 am

Another type of book I just realised I read (yes, I have a shocking memory), is modern day books. For instance, The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants - I just pulled that off the top of my head. I'm a sucker for those kinds of books, as they draw me in easily because I can relate.
Topic locked