Discuss music in any form from rock bands to Britney Spears' latest VMA performance. It's all good!
Topic locked

Mercury Music Prize Nominations

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:53 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5188692.stm

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Ballad Of The Broken Seas
Editors - The Back Room
Guillemots - Through The Windowpane
Richard Hawley - Coles Corner
Hot Chip - The Warning
Muse - Black Holes And Revelations
Zoe Rahman - Melting Pot
Lou Rhodes - Beloved One
Scritti Politti - White Bread, Black Beer
Sway - This Is My Demo
Thom Yorke - The Eraser

Thoughts? Who will win? Who would you like to see win?

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:11 pm

Seeing as I've only heard of Muse and the Artic Monkeys from the list - I would love to see Muse win. I think they are just amazing and deserve to.

Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:11 pm

Muse ftw.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:27 am

I'm totally cheering for Guillemots on this one. I'm just waiting for a release date on their CD for Canada.

As to who will win...on this list, I've only heard of the Arctic Monkeys, Editors, Guillemots, Hot Chip, Muse, and Thom Yorke. From those, I'm doubting the Arctic Monkeys will win, and thinking probably Muse or Thom Yorke will take it (both are okay, their latest music isn't to my taste though) if not Guillemots.

Oh, speaking of Muse, everyone should go listen to that mashup of Muse's "Supermassive Black Hole" and Britney Spears' "Do Something". You can probably Google it. They sound remarkably similar. XD

Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:27 am

Yoshi wrote:I'm totally cheering for Guillemots on this one. I'm just waiting for a release date on their CD for Canada.

As to who will win...on this list, I've only heard of the Arctic Monkeys, Editors, Guillemots, Hot Chip, Muse, and Thom Yorke. From those, I'm doubting the Arctic Monkeys will win, and thinking probably Muse or Thom Yorke will take it (both are okay, their latest music isn't to my taste though) if not Guillemots.

Oh, speaking of Muse, everyone should go listen to that mashup of Muse's "Supermassive Black Hole" and Britney Spears' "Do Something". You can probably Google it. They sound remarkably similar. XD

I haven't even heard any of their new stuff- I only have Absolution, but that was a fantastic album. Hopefully, the new one is just as good.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:03 am

Their new CD's called Black Holes and Revelations- it's gone in some dance-rock (can't describe it) kinda direction. In my opinion, it's like trying to emulate Franz Ferdinand, only not as good.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:40 am

I'd like to see Muse or Editors win.
Last edited by Paul on Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:54 am

None of you get gold stars- the correct answer for who deserves to win would be 'Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan' ;)

Arctic Monkeys are the favourites, so it'll be either them or Hot Chip.

Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:14 pm

Ew Thom Yorke. Editors pwn.
Topic locked