Discuss music in any form from rock bands to Britney Spears' latest VMA performance. It's all good!
Topic locked

Favorite Christmas Songs

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:37 am

What is your favorite Christmas song, and which artist do you think does the best rendition of it?

My personal favorites are Grown Up Christmas List and Breath of Heaven, both by Amy Grant. Winter Wonderland is fun, too.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:51 am

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way!
There's this other one which I forgot its name...trying to remember...will edit if I do remember...o_0

Edit: Thanks Kitten Medli! Just remembered one song, O Holy Night, by Mariah Carey. <3
Last edited by sily_sicily on Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:02 am

Dur...I like O Holy Night by Barlowgirl. :)

And Mary Did You Know and All Is Well both by Clay Aiken.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:03 am

I really like "Stop the Cavalry" by Jona Lewie. It's a bit dorky but very cheerful :) I first heard it a few years ago, and didn't know what it was called... so asked here last year, and someone (Twinkle, I think) identified it for me! I was so happy!

I also like "All I Want for Christmas" and "Do You Hear What I Hear?". And "O Come, All Ye Faithful" is great to bawl out at the Carols Night :D

Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:45 pm

White Christmas, Let It Snow and All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth are my favorite Christmas songs.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:35 pm

I love the song "River". It's an amazing song, my favourite version is done by Christine Evans. Very pretty.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:56 pm

Green Sleeves is pretty much the all-time best.

Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:09 am

For a Christmas song, one of my guilty pleasures would be White Christmas by the Jingle Cats. Even my increasingly stone-cold heart can't resist.

Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:49 am

halfbakedbliss wrote:Green Sleeves is pretty much the all-time best.

Dude, that's not a Christmas song, that's a ballad by Henry VIII, like a country song with a better tune. (They think he was referring to some Boleyn other than Anne.)

I get the feeling there's something even better I'm forgetting at the moment, but "God Rest Ye Merrye Hippogriffs" is good enough, kthx.

Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:38 am

I love White Christmas! :D

I also like "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas!" sang by Audrey Hepburn. :P

Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:15 pm

"What Child is This" is the Christmas version of "Greensleeves". :)

Oi, it's so hard to choose! I love Christmas music a great deal. One of the most important aspects of good Christmas music, to me, is its singalongability, and since I love harmonizing I'm a huge fan of traditional choral arrangements of carols.

A few that come to mind:

O Holy Night
The original version (Handel's) of Joy to the World
The Holly and the Ivy

Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:00 pm

The Night Santa Went Crazy, and Christmas at Ground Zero by Weird Al.

Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:47 pm

Along with the two Christopher listed I like The Twelve Pains of Christmas by Bob Rivers.

I also like Wierd Al's version of this song.

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:49 pm

There was a version of Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer that Daren Streblow did I love.

"I've killed Dasher and Dancer
Prancer and Vixen
Comet and Cupid
And Donner and Blitzen...

But do you recall...
The easiest target of all?"

It's cruel, but true. XD

Jeff Foxworthy's Christmas songs are great ('Twas the Night Before Christmas and The Twelve Days of Christmas).
Obadiah from TVU's Ten Most Wanted wrote a practical parody of O Holy Night. "O holy night, they're having a midnight sale..."
Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer makes me laugh, but I don't really like the original. FF5'S FTW! And speaking of FF5, they did a medley of Christmas songs that made me laugh. You can listen to it here. It's called "Christmas Carol Blog". :)

As for traditional songs...I like What Child is This? and O Little Town of Bethlehem. Contemporary Christmas music...uh, Hawk Nelson has a new one I really like. Something about bells? XP I can't remember.

OK, I think I'm done! XD

Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:47 pm

I don't have a favorite Christmas song, as I refuse to listen to holiday music :P
Topic locked