Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Black Metal.
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:57 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Does anyone listen to Black Metal, or am I the only one here?

(Black Metal Bands: Venom, Burzum, Mayhem, Gorgoroth, Satyricon, Bathory, et cetera.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 3:50 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

What is the difference between Heavy Metal, Goth Metal, Fantasy Metal, Black Metal, etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:14 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Heavy Metal @ Wikipedia wrote:
Heavy metal is typically characterized by a distorted guitar-led sound, morbid themes and lyrics, straightfoward rhythms and classical or symphonic styles. However, heavy metal subgenres have their own stylistic variations on the original form that often omit many of these characteristics.

According to Allmusic.com, "Of all rock & roll's myriad forms, heavy metal is the most extreme in terms of volume, machismo, and theatricality. There are numerous stylistic variations on heavy metal's core sound, but they're all tied together by a reliance on loud, distorted guitars (usually playing repeated riffs) and simple, pounding rhythms."

Goth Metal @ Wikipedia wrote:
Lyrically, gothic metal is centered around romances and fantasy tales that end in tragedy for one or more parties involved. The setting for the lyrics are most often in the New Age or the Dark Ages, but can also be in Victorian, Edwardian, Roman, or modern eras. The romantic- and fantasy-themed lyrics often used in gothic metal cover many broad subjects and are intended as being themes and guides to the lyricist, rather than a complete prerequisite of the genre. Gothic Metal bands typically do not write their albums in the form of separate songs; they rather write concept albums in the form of books. This is so that each song acts as a part, or, chapter, inspiring people to listen to the whole album in order to hear the story, instead of just certain songs. Penumbra's Seclusion and Silentium's Sufferion - Hamartia of Prudence are two gothic metal albums that feature this style of lyrics.

I've never heard of Fantasy Metal. It's probably similiar to Gothic Metal.

Black Metal @ Wikipedia wrote:
Black metal may, but is not obliged to, have the following characteristics:

* Fast guitars with tremolo picking
* Lyrics that take the form of pessimistic, Satanic, Pagan, or occult themes which blaspheme Christianity. Bands such as Slayer, Deicide, and Immolation overlap lyrically with black metal somewhat but are musically defined as death metal (Immolation, Deicide) or thrash metal (Slayer)
* Relatively thin guitar sound or relatively thick guitar sound, usually not in the middle.
* Limited production used intentionally as a statement against mainstream music and/or to reflect the mood of the music, to create atmosphere. This 'underproduced' effect is often achieved by cutting out low and high frequencies, leaving just the mid frequency range. Very few of the black metal pioneers still do this, since their original limited production only was due to a minimal budget. This production style is often considered an essential element of "true" Black Metal.
* Fast, repetitive, aggressive drums, often with blast beats. At other times, the drums can take a slower role usually accompanied by a very dry and empty tone —especially for the effect of the atmosphere of the music.
* Occasional electronic keyboard use. The harpsichord, violin, organ, and choir settings are most common, which gives the music an orchestral feel or a cathedral-like setting. Some bands tend to use keyboards very frequently, whether it be as an instrument or even as the basis of their entire sound. They are generally placed under the symphonic black metal label.
* High-pitched/distorted screeching vocals. Contrary to popular belief, these are not essential as there have been many black metal bands old and new employing different vocal styles.
* Swift percussion.
* Cold, dark, sad, melancholy, or gloomy atmosphere.
* Less focus on dynamic rhythm than death metal. Very few black metal bands exhibit the rhythmic complexity inherent in death metal, and even if they do, they usually exhibit at least a few of the above-listed criteria if they are still generally classified as black metal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:11 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Well, I see. As you probably figured; I don't like metal. Any kinds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:35 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Paul wrote:
Well, I see. As you probably figured; I don't like metal. Any kinds.

What kind of music are you into?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:55 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Indie, Punk, Grunge, Rock, stuff like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:40 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Give me anything, dont care, Britney spears, Travis, Trivium, Slipknot, Atreyu whatever, I'll give it a go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:05 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I think you might enjoy the Invocation of Nehek if you're looking for a new band to listen to, Children of Bodom aren't all that bad either. Satyricon's pretty cool, I like their idea of the whole medieval metal genre thing. If you're more into the clearcut (and usually foreign) black metal, check out Behemoth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:41 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Setekh wrote:
Trivium, Slipknot, Atreyu

MMM I like you're taste.

I'm into metal but not black metal. Not my kind of stuff.

IDB Supermod and Rater

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:37 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

halfbakedbliss wrote:
I think you might enjoy the Invocation of Nehek if you're looking for a new band to listen to, Children of Bodom aren't all that bad either. Satyricon's pretty cool, I like their idea of the whole medieval metal genre thing. If you're more into the clearcut (and usually foreign) black metal, check out Behemoth.

Man, you have no idea how weird that looks, talking about BM and with your signature. ;)

Never heard of Behemoth. =/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:26 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I occasionally listen to Doom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:12 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

halfbakedbliss wrote:
I think you might enjoy the Invocation of Nehek if you're looking for a new band to listen to.

I like raises Skelly-bobs ^_^
D6 per spell level, not too shabby...

Wonder if GW tried to sue em yet, tried everyone else.
But I ramble into obscurity, becuase I just dont like Children of Bodom.

Might try checking out Inflames, Theyre quite good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:11 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Inflames are OK at what they do, but I don't really like them....not heavy enough. Thing is, i don't like doing things by halves...if I want metal, I want it to be dark, doomy and heavy. Hahaha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:29 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Igg wrote:
Inflames are OK at what they do, but I don't really like them....not heavy enough. Thing is, i don't like doing things by halves...if I want metal, I want it to be dark, doomy and heavy. Hahaha.

Amen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:17 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Igg wrote:

True, True, they are an acquired taste.

Still, should try Rammstein.
theres something about German that makes even a love song sound like a threat to your life. :lol:

Ohh, another one you may like is Roadrunner united.
The album is albeit an amalgam of all of Roadrunners styles.
So we have "the end" which is rather light, whatever track 2 is called which is very heavy, track 9 which is shockingly bad in its Political overtones and Army of the sun which gives me a distant, happy feeling inside.
I shall try and find one of their heavier songs online (Probably their myspace admitedly)

edit:
Apparently not o_O
But on another note I have just found the first track from 36 Crazyfists third album.
Anyone who wants the link can PM me, as being myspace it aint entirely PG13 :P

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next