Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Mass Singles?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:23 am 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

Has anybody noticed that there have been a little TOO many singles released by artists these days? Kelly Clarkson has reached 5 (Breakaway, Since U Been Gone, Behind These Hazel Eyes, Because of You, Walk Away, 6 if you count 'Gone', which was radio only) and her album was released in 2004... better than Gwen Stefani, who's had 6 official singles (What You Waitin For, Rich Girl, Hollaback Girl, Cool, Luxurious, Crash) and also had an album in 2004. And, of course, there's nothing worse than the Black Eyed Peas. 'Monkey Business' has been around for less than a year, and already they've trashed the airwaves with SEVEN lovely singles! (Don't Phunk With my Heart, Don't Lie, My Humps, Pump It, Like That, Dum Diddly-dim, Gone Going). There are tons of artists releasing basically half their albums as singles! I remember a while ago there were people complaining that Evanescence were milking their album 'Fallen' when it only released four singles, two of which weren't all that radio-friendly (Bring Me to Life, Going Under, My Immortal, Everybody's Fool (though in other countries they did have songs such as Imaginary and Missing as radio singles)).

So the question is: releasing a million singles off an album: GOOD/BAD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:15 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Christina Aguleria had 7 singles off her Stripped (I think that was it) CD, as far as I knew. The last one being The Voice Within.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:21 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

What's the problem with it?

If the album is good enough to release six or seven singles, than by all means, release them.

All of Kelly's singles have made it into the Top 10 (Except for "Walk Away" which is still climbing) and it proves to everyone her album is worth buying. Plus, "Gone" wasn't released as a radio single, it was on the airwaves because they assumed that would be the next single after "Because Of You" and once they switched over to "Walk Away", "Gone" was pulled.

Let artists release as many singles as they like, I mean, it won't harm anyone and if they all have the enourmous amount of success that Kelly has, all the power to them.

Set by Medli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:21 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: Watching little birds fly kamikaze missions into the walls.
I think the reason why artists are releasing so many singles these days is because the music industry has really changed over the past few years. Now, you can go on iTunes and buy only the songs you want. People aren't going out to the store and buying actual albums as much as they used to. Artists and record companies know that a lot of people now are downloading just the songs they want, so they release as many singles as possible in the hopes that people will download all of the singles they hear. Also, the more singles they release, the more likely someone will buy the album as they will know more than half the songs usually (not much room for a surprise). Way back, I would buy CDs which only had one single...I would just have to hope that the rest of the CD was as good as that one single. Sometimes the entire CD was great; sometimes, I would sell it back to a used CD store because it was terrible.

Wow, I wrote a lot. I hope it all made sense. :P

It was an honor serving you PPT. I will miss you.
Click here to join my new werewolf forum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:11 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

-shrug- I don't know what the price situation is for American artists, but I hate single CDs because they're HELLACIOUSLY expensive to buy as imports. I think it's like mayanspypilot said; people can just get individual songs off of iTunes instead of paying for a bunch of other songs on an album, and since so many people have mp3 players now, CDs aren't as practical.

Of course, I a.) don't listen to American music and b.) DL everything because import CDs are so expensive, so I'm not entirely sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:50 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I don't really see what's wrong with it, but I don't buy singles at all.

kudos sasha+gregory // PPT's Unofficial President

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:26 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Thinking like an economist, you'll recognize that when a single artist or a few artists can dominate an industry such as music, then the competition skyrockets. This makes it much harder for newer, less known artists to break into the mainstream and become successful themselves.

I remember back in the 90s where most artists would release one or two singles, at most. Personally, I prefer that, because it offered more variety on the radio and gave everyone an opportunity to have the taste of fresh new voices and music.

So I'm on the side thinking that they should limit the number of singles from each CD. Honestly, Gwen & TBEP's really don't have that great of albums anyway... in my opinion. Very lack-lustre, not to mention shallow and vapid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:26 am 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

soymimi wrote:
Thinking like an economist, you'll recognize that when a single artist or a few artists can dominate an industry such as music, then the competition skyrockets. This makes it much harder for newer, less known artists to break into the mainstream and become successful themselves.

I remember back in the 90s where most artists would release one or two singles, at most. Personally, I prefer that, because it offered more variety on the radio and gave everyone an opportunity to have the taste of fresh new voices and music.

So I'm on the side thinking that they should limit the number of singles from each CD. Honestly, Gwen & TBEP's really don't have that great of albums anyway... in my opinion. Very lack-lustre, not to mention shallow and vapid.

THANK YOU. :D

Anyway, yes there are those people like Kelly Clarkson who DESERVE to release 5 singles from one album (by the way, anybody notice all her singles from Breakaway have been about leaving something or someone behind?) and then there are those people who need to go back to their old band and actually start producting radio-worthy music again (Gwen Stefani... her voice in more poppish songs is a bit hollow any annoying...) AND there are those really annoying people who need to drop dead and stop making music altogether. :P

I just hope this doesn't evolve into entire albums being released to radio...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:03 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

soymimi wrote:

Exactly how would this "limit" work? You can't limit an artist/band.

I, honestly, don't care how many singles they release as long as they release it moderately. Not one single, and then a new single two weeks later and then another one three weeks after that. Then it'd be ridiculous.

Set by Medli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:53 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

If it makes money, they will do it. More singles = more exposure.

Don't be afraid to see the truth, even if no one wants you to. Be yourself and not a fool. Don't ever be afraid to speak your mind and listen to criticism. Dissent is keeps our country progressive and willingness to challenge yourself is what keeps yourself ever evolving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:08 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Simple Plan's second CD has been out for like ever, and they've released a pile of single, but they were well spaced out. And Kelly Clarkson definately deserves to have as many singles as she wants, she's just that good. idiotic things like BEP and Gewn shouldn't have any singles out. especially gewn, who can't sing at all. so in short, if you're good enough, put as much of the good stuff out as possible, if not, go away.

Losers are those who do not try

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:12 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I think its GOOD. I mean, if your career is that stable to be able to release all those singles and people don't throw your CD away, then the more power to you. It makes the fans happy and the band/singer gets money. It works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 5:37 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Ammer wrote:
soymimi wrote:

Exactly how would this "limit" work? You can't limit an artist/band.

I wasn't suggesting "limiting" work, it is true that you cannot put limits or boundaries on an artist who wishes to constantly evolve. Stereotypical thinking limits them enough.

I was suggesting that there should be at general consensus for how many is too many.

I will give props to Kelly Clarkson because her music varies and tests different waters. I refuse to give praise to Gwen Stefani or the Black Eyed Peas, however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:18 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Amethyst wrote:
-shrug- I don't know what the price situation is for American artists, but I hate single CDs because they're HELLACIOUSLY expensive to buy as imports.

They're hellaciously expensive period. You wouldn't believe how much I spent on my Hawk Nelson CD. << ($16.98, thank you for asking -- I can't remember how many tracks, but I know there weren't many)

That's why things like iTunes and Walmart downloads are thriving so well. That, and the fact that if you download a whole album from them, you do get a break in price. That, and the fact that people don't want things downloaded onto their computers (*cough*DRMtechnology*cough*).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 11:14 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

It depends on whether or not the songs they're choosing to release as singles are good.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next