SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:40 am

I've heard rumors that the next book will be called the Tumbling Tower. Makes sense. Anyway, I have yet to read the Grim Grotto. (It's always checked out at my library and I'm too cheap to fork over $12 for it.) Either way, I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series, be it 12 or 13 books.

Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:25 am

The only thing I have to say on the entire matter is that Olaf was not meant to be played by Jim Carrey. Olaf is not humorous. He wants to kill the children and steal their money.

Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:35 am

I myself have never read or even seen the Lemony Snickett books. After seeing the movie (which I shouldn't have done before reading the books) I have decided that I probably would have been better off reading the books. It just didn't seem like I really knew what was going on, and like everyone else did. O.o

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:41 pm

Dawn2 wrote:The only thing I have to say on the entire matter is that Olaf was not meant to be played by Jim Carrey. Olaf is not humorous. He wants to kill the children and steal their money.

Meh, I find Olaf quite funny. He's 'evil', but immensely feckless with it.

Maybe you need to take things with a better sense of humour. :)

Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:18 pm

Igg wrote:
Dawn2 wrote:The only thing I have to say on the entire matter is that Olaf was not meant to be played by Jim Carrey. Olaf is not humorous. He wants to kill the children and steal their money.

Sorry, still hard to laugh over the scenes where he's sending the orphans rocketing to their dooms. The book itself is quite funny... but I think they shouldn't have made Olaf the one to be funny. I think it would be perfect if they put in a narrorator that would say the kind of sarcasm, hilarity, etc. that Snicket originally put into the books, without changing the characters.

Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:53 pm

Dawn2 wrote:Sorry, still hard to laugh over the scenes where he's sending the orphans rocketing to their dooms. The book itself is quite funny... but I think they shouldn't have made Olaf the one to be funny. I think it would be perfect if they put in a narrorator that would say the kind of sarcasm, hilarity, etc. that Snicket originally put into the books, without changing the characters.

Personally, I find those the funniest bits.

...Then again, I've never been accused of being normal. =)

Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:15 pm

Dawn2 wrote:
Igg wrote:

Sorry, still hard to laugh over the scenes where he's sending the orphans rocketing to their dooms. The book itself is quite funny... but I think they shouldn't have made Olaf the one to be funny. I think it would be perfect if they put in a narrorator that would say the kind of sarcasm, hilarity, etc. that Snicket originally put into the books, without changing the characters.

Oh, I dunno. I think that next to Lemony, Olaf is possible the the most humorous character in the book...It's not supposed to be obviously funny, it's supposed to be sort of ...witty humor.

Oh yes, and Jude Law needs to die for butchering my favorite character with his girly-man voice acting -_-

Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:53 am

I just started reading these books. I've only finished the 1st one so far and started on the second one. I did see the movie already however. The books look good, I like the style. Kinda different. ^-^

Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:02 am

I just finished the Grim Grotto today. I personally think that Klaus let his emotions get the better of him.

My expectations:
13 books (Have you ever noticed that the books have 13 chapters?)

Quigley will show up near the beginning of book 12

Klaus hasn't been seperated from both of his siblings since book 8, so he will get seperated.

Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:04 pm

i love those books and i want to see the film but i can't b/c i got no time yet

Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:10 am

I love those books. The Books are NOT a bore, and they just happen to be easy to read. (Easy and quick way to do book assignments at school)

Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:41 pm

I think the new book is coming out in about 5 or 6 months :). IF anyone gets pictures or release date or book date post it here. I want to know.

Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:43 pm

I'll tell you what, Mr. Poe's costume job is much more commendable than it was in his LAST movie. Even scummy traitors don't deserve that kind of costume.

Anyway, Mr. Poe and the other well-meaning but chicken-headed adults in Lemony Snicket are possibly the most annoying thing in the series. And there are a lot of annoying things in the series. After the idiotic adults, it would be that the stories are not about the Snickets and the Baudelaire parents. They're really much more intriguing than the orphans.
Topic locked