SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:44 am

The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende was an unbelievably good read. I really enjoyed reading that one, despite the more disturbing themes. :)

Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:51 am

I finished Harry Potter 1 and 2, so now I am currently reading, the third harry potter, The Prisoner of Azkaban. :D

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:38 pm

No Easy Answers: The Truth Behind Death at Columbine - Brooks Brown and Rob Merritt

Well, certainly not a pleasure read, but it's interesting. Brooks was a friend of Eric and Dylan (the Columbine High School murderers), and he gives a new perspective to the whole tragedy. It makes the point that there are "no easy answers" to problems like teenage violence and school shootings, and that what caused the killers to do what they did is not as simple as it may seem.

Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:54 am

Mossflower by Brian Jacques.

I just finished Redwall earlier... I like to go in the order the books were written, and whenever I have tried to read the series, whatever library I was at at the time never had this book, so I always got stuck here. XD Finally, I just got frustrated and put it on hold. :P

Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:42 am

I've just finished reading Catcher in the Rye, and soon I will be starting Siddhartha, as it's assigned for AP English (not another Book Analysis, it's for something else).

Oh! I also got Movies in Fifteen Minutes this past Saturday and have been reading bits and pieces. I'm going to read the rest of it over Spring Break hopefully. It's hilarious.

Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:56 am

I finally have a little bit of time for recreational reading! Yay! I just picked up The Plague by Albert Camus and Demian by Herman Hesse at the library. I'll probably end up taking forever to finish them since I tend to be busy, but who cares - new books! Hurrah!

Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:28 pm

Manhattan Transfer by John E. Stith. It is about some mysterious powerful aliens that steal Manhattan and other cities from other planets.

Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:09 am

Homo Faber by Max Frisch. Life becomes very confusing for a middle-aged technologist man when he meets his own daughter (only he doesn't know that intially, see?) on a cruise ship to Europe.

Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:07 pm

I just finished The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut. I liked this one a lot more than Player Piano, which was unbelievably BORING. The ending was quite sad, though....

Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:56 am

A View From The Bridge - Arthur Miller.

Re-reading it, as I have an exam on it next week.

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:07 am

Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov... This is my fourth time reading it, it must be among the most beautiful (albeit disturbing) books of all time... has anyone else read it?

Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:14 pm

Zombie Butts From Uranus - by Andy Griffiths

A good book so far. Strange butt true!

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:35 am

scarletsiren wrote:Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov... This is my fourth time reading it, it must be among the most beautiful (albeit disturbing) books of all time... has anyone else read it?

Yes and I love it. Very beautifully written and it's pretty amazing since English isn't even Nabokov's first language. In fact, I'm not even sure if it was his second language.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:41 am

SpiraLethe wrote:
scarletsiren wrote:Lolita, by Vladimir Nabokov... This is my fourth time reading it, it must be among the most beautiful (albeit disturbing) books of all time... has anyone else read it?

Yes and I love it. Very beautifully written and it's pretty amazing since English isn't even Nabokov's first language. In fact, I'm not even sure if it was his second language.

Yeah, he's absolutely amazing. I'm pretty sure English was his second language--I think he grew up speaking both Russian and English--but I know he also speaks French... I feel so small and single-lingual. :(

Edit// Haha, I couldn't help myself.

The household was Anglophile - Nabokov spoke Russian and English, and at the age of five he learned French.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:09 am

scarletsiren wrote:
SpiraLethe wrote:

Yeah, he's absolutely amazing. I'm pretty sure English was his second language--I think he grew up speaking both Russian and English--but I know he also speaks French... I feel so small and single-lingual. :(

Edit// Haha, I couldn't help myself.

The household was Anglophile - Nabokov spoke Russian and English, and at the age of five he learned French.

I'm bilingual, but I've only mastered one language well enough to compose actual writing that doesn't sound infantile, but even then I can't write as beautifully as he did.
Topic locked