SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

Really Wierd Kid's Book

Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:26 am

I found this at the library, under Reccomended books... It's called Mr. Wendell's Mouse or something like that.
It's... surprisingly dark for a kid's book.

Okay, it's set at this restaurant, and the place is populated by cat anthros, and this guy gets promoted so he orders the live mouse.

And the mouse is bred to be like... all courteous when he's about to be eaten, and the cat kinda becomes aqquainted, and so when it finally comes time to kill him..

You've got to read it, but it's utterly creepy and delightful. First time I've seen so much blood in a kid's book!

(No, nobody dies.)

Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:58 pm

Some kids books can be very dark and strange. Just look at The Stinky Cheese Man. (Best book EVER!) A lot of Rhald Dhal (sp?) books are pretty dark, I'm surprised I read those at such a young age.

Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:31 pm

I didn't like Gingerbread Man in the first place, and Stinky Cheese Man really, really put me off. Now, Roald Dahl was cool. The Witches made me a little paranoid about women and mice, but AWESOME. The BFG's dream bit was just the most nifty thing ever. Now, his autobiography read like one of those recommended-for-teens hundred-page chunks of pure, pointless angst with as much societal unpleasantness as is possible. I wonder why his writing is so good - and BOUNCY - after a life that sucked that badly.

Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:10 am

ooh, I was wondering why Roald Dahl sounded familiar. I read BFG last year-ish and I was surprised - his way of talking was extremely similar to the way that my friend and I talked when we were feeling hyper. I hadn't read the book, don't know if she did...I found it odd. I read the book and was like "HEY. MINE." :roflol:

Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:48 am

Trust Eo to post somethin like this.

I need to find that book...sounds...interesting. O_o

Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:28 am

Odd indeed. Are you sure that's the title. I must look this up and read it.

Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:58 am

Hm.... Sounds interesting - I was really scared of witches when I saw the movie and stopped it, but the book was fine. After that I did watch the movie. This WAS when I was younger.

Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:17 am

Those are pretty strange, I'll give you that.

The books that seriously make me wonder WHY they're in the children's section? The "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" series. Has anyone else read them? The text isn't all that bad, by itself...but paired with the illustrations? I mean, Kudos to Mr. Gammell for being a very detailed artist, but that's certainly not a book I would want MY kids reading--not until they'd at least got closer to their teen years, anyway. I was practically traumatized by some of the images in there...but that likely says more about my complete inability to handle the horror genre than anything else. Excellent artwork, but not for the kiddies, methinks.

On the flip side, Mr. Gammell has done some other work that's really pretty cool--"The Vaudevillian" comes to mind--but this thread is about books that probably shouldn't be kids' books, and I've already said my peace.

Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:29 pm

The strangest kids book I've seen is
"The Story Of The Little Mole Who Knew It Was None Of His Business"
Look it up it hilarious!

Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:40 pm

Harry Potter 3-5 were surprisingly dark, the emphasis on the swearing in #5 and the blood of #4

Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:58 am

floella_de_ville wrote:The strangest kids book I've seen is
Look it up it hilarious!

O___O;; Is that what I think it is on top of that mole's head? *giggles*

Oh and Cytherene, I remember that book! We had in our library in elementary school and I remember the pictures freaking the pants off of me! Everyone in school loved that book.

Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:46 am

Okay, I saw it again. The real title is, Mr. Maxwell's Mouse.

And I saw an even MORE inappropriate kid's book a few weeks back... Called Billy the Sperm or something... o.O;;

Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:01 am

Sex Education is inappropriate?

Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:09 pm

resturaunt at the end of the universe has a cow in it like that.
suggests to arthur dent that his rump is very good this end of the universe (mentions what was best last time i think)

Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:26 pm

AFI_Sorrow wrote:
floella_de_ville wrote:The strangest kids book I've seen is
Look it up it hilarious!

O___O;; Is that what I think it is on top of that mole's head? *giggles*

Yes it is the story is about the Mole trying to find which animal did it, and it shows how each animal does it lol
Topic locked