SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

Book-to-movie help?

Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:32 am

For English, we're doing a project involving books that were turned into movies. Book has to be over 200 pages and something we haven't read before...The ones I'm considering are Clan of the Cavebear, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Horse Whisperer, and possibly Black Beauty if I can find a copy over 200 pages.

Which of those should I do, or do you have any other suggestions?

Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:28 am

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas?
It's kind of long though...has a nice plot and is a good story though ^^

Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:33 am

*eye twitch*

The Clan of the Cave Bear turned into a movie was an abomination!
ARGH!
I just re-read the first two books (re-reading the third at the moment... out of the five thus far in the series), and the movie just... ugh. Did you know they filmed it in like three different versions? One with talking, one with the hand motions and subtitles... and I do believe the other in just the motions?
AGH! Painful.
Grr.
Bad movie.
Though Darryl Hannah is kinda hot... she's in Kill Bill. If you do that one, can you be sure to bash the movie something good for me?
Black Beauty could be a neat one (I don't even own a copy over 200 pages, and I own 6 different copies).
The Horse Whisperer Movie made me mad. The opening scene, far too graphic for my petty brain (I can't even read the begining of the book!).

Hmm... what else...
Watership Down could be really neat. The animated cartoon of the book... is positivly frightning! If you ever want to see a cartoon that would give you nightmares... there it is! I'm a fan of both movie and book.
Same with the Plague Dogs, but good luck finding a copy of the movie.

*shrug*

Then theres always the LOTR, Harry Potter route; but no doubt that will be quite popular.... hrm.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:54 am

fight club, high fidelity, white oleander, and lolita are others.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:32 am

Syrill already mentioned The Count of Monte Cristo, which would have been my suggestion.

In a similar vein (classic action-adventure & intrigue) -- and a fairly fast read, when I had to do it for high school myself -- is The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Pay it Forward is an excellent book, even though the movie bombed.

Oh, if you haven't already read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, you've been deprived. Rectify that ASAP.

A Wrinkle in Time has been made into a TV movie -- does that count?

H.G. Wells's Time Machine has been made into a movie or three.

Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:56 pm

Where the Red Fern Grows and there's alway the good ol' fall back of Harry Potter.
Last edited by Dark on Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:03 am

Practically anything by Michael Crichton have been made into movies.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:28 am

Pinnochio was a book made into a movie. The book is better than the Disney movie.
Little Women is also very good, book and movie.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:32 am

The only problem with Pinocchio is there isn't a copy that has 200 pgs +

Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:02 am

If it's long enough, I, Robot is a terrific book and a . . . recent . . . movie.

As I understand it, the assignment after all was for a book from which a movie was made, not necessarily a novel. (It's a collection of related short stories by Isaac Asimov.)

OTOH, if you try to finagle the rules, the teacher could always say the movie had to be made from the book, not just inspired by the title of the book. . . .

Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:46 am

Syrill wrote:The only problem with Pinocchio is there isn't a copy that has 200 pgs +

Yes there is...I have the book its 264 pages long.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:30 am

The Princess Bride? Haven't got a clue how many pages it is, though.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:41 am

John Grisham, just read one, they're all the same anyways.

Plus his books read like screenplays. As if he has 0 appreciation for books and wanted to prompt studios into converting his books to film by making it that much easier.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:04 am

I'd probably go with "Lord of the Rings" but that could just be me, what I found interesting was the removal of certain events, characters, etc and the movement of quotes from one character to another...

Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:13 pm

:) Thanks for your suggestions, guys. The problem with falling back on Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Where the Red Fern Grows, etc, is that I've already read them. And someone already asked about the Princess Bride, he said it's too easy :roll:

Hmm. Watership Down might be interesting, I've actually never read it...though right now I'm leaning toward the Horse Whisperer. I've seen the movie before but it's only the book that you're not allowed to have read. *muses* And yes, the opening scene is rather graphic, but if I recall the rest isn't too bad. Except at the end when he hauls Pilgrim down on the ground, I don't think I liked that.

Does anyone have any opinions on The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? And can anyone tell me if there would be a way to easily get ahold of the TV movie for A Wrinkle in Time? I've read the book before...but...I don't even remember anything about it, so I don't think it counts. shhh. :evil:
Topic locked