SHHH!!! Can you read? Want to prove it? Meet fellow book worms and discuss the literary brilliance of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
Topic locked

To Kill A Mockingbird

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:49 pm

This is by far one of my favourite books. :) Have you read it? What did you think of it? At first I thought it was very boring, until my old English teacher helped explain it all to me. :P I love it now. :)

Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:55 pm

This is one of those books that you just want to chuck in the fire and watch it burn, slowly.

Maybe because I have sub-par English teacher explaining it to me, I dunno, but I hated it -_-

Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:18 pm

Yeah, I've read it recently, for school.

I really enjoyed it. At times it kept me wanting to read it, at others, it was slow enoughed pace that I could just read and calm down and relax.

I think, however, that it is one of those books that you either like, or don't like.

Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:40 pm

Yah I read this book, and it was absolutely amazing! The first page took me a little while to get through for some reason, but once I got past that part I was smooth sailing. I was however reading it by choice so it's not like I felt forced to get through it, it was jsut for leisure. This doesn't change how great this book was though, I definately would say that everyone should read this book at least once in their life.

Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:01 am

That is probably my favorite book from last year. I adore the book. There were parts that were a bit slow, but over all I loved it. I liked the symbolism and the plot. It was nice how everything seemed to tie together.

I agree with you, Twiz. I think this is one of those things you either love or hate. I know some of my friends loved the book just as much as I did, while others couldn't stand it. :P

Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:25 am

I read it last year. I enjoyed it, but I don't think I actually GOT the book, like, I understood it, but Mom had to answer the questions on the second half for me, because I couldn't... Personally I enjoyed Flowers for Algernon and the Great Gatsby better...

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:52 am

Amethyst wrote:This is one of those books that you just want to chuck in the fire and watch it burn, slowly.

Maybe because I have sub-par English teacher explaining it to me, I dunno, but I hated it -_-

I didn't like it either. Probably because I saw the movie as well.

Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:34 am

Christopher wrote:
Amethyst wrote:This is one of those books that you just want to chuck in the fire and watch it burn, slowly.

I didn't like it either. Probably because I saw the movie as well.

I actually quite hated the movie, save the title sequence. :P

Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:50 am

I really like it, and I read it out of choice, not for school.

Though I think I stole the book from my English teacher's cupboard.

Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:22 pm

I haven't read the book, but I saw the play in the theatre. It was really good, thought I can't quite remember all of what happened now! :oops:
But I remember I liked it! Apart from the main character had a really annoying fake american accent! :P

Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:05 pm

To tell the truth I can't remember if I read it or not, or even watched the movie...I just think I have no intrest in reading or watching it...just not my kettle of fish so to speak...

Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:11 pm

We're going to start reading it after march break in English.

Don't know whether to look forward to it, or to scream about it.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:40 pm

It was an ok book.
The sad thing was that the book I borrowed from the library was falling apart... Only the day I finished it I saw that they had a hardcover version...

Anyway, like I said, it was an ok book... Not as great as it was made out to be.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:45 pm

I haven't seen the movie yet, which let me enjoy the book to its fullest extent. ^.^

What was good about it, was because I don't usually like that Genre... so it was a surprise to me that I felt that way about it. Hehe.

Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:13 pm

My class saw the movie, but only after we read the book. The teacher wanted to show us how things can be altered when making a book into a movie and how everyone has a different vision of the characters, etc. I didn't mind the movie, but I like the book better. :) Although that isn't really surprising because I always seem to like the books a lot better.
Topic locked