Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Vladimir Nabokov
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:04 am 

I was wondering if there were many people here fond of his work. Just about everyone has heard of his book Lolita. (Though not everyone has read it.) I think people are quick to judge him because of Lolita, though I did enjoy it. His other books are very fun! This is a man who loved the English language, and who knew how to play games with it.

I adore his book Pale Fire, which is sort of a mystery. It's a long poem (999 lines) by a fictional poet John Shade, with commetary by the equally fictional Dr. Kinbote. Lines of reality get sort of blurred, and it shows you a lot about how people perceive and choose to remember things.

Transparent things is neat too, and I recently bought a book of his short stories. This man is so much more than the primary work that defined him. His work has warm humor and beautiful prose. Most of his stories and books involve examinations of everyday life and the lives of average people, but in some of his stories you can find elves and creatures and kingdoms that disappear and all sorts of fantastic things. (Often, very subtly, you pick up on little hints he drops about his love of butterflies. He actually discovered several species of them, and would make up fantastic butterflies and draw them in the covers of his first editions.)

So, does anyone else enjoy his books and stories?

"Living by my wits I was not getting far, I thought I'd do better living off my charms." -World/Inferno F.S.

Post subject: Memories...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:08 pm 

*raises hand*

Yep, I was forced into reading Lolita for my first year english class ~ it was so contraversial that the Dean of English Arts had to make sure that we each understood what we were getting into. I think the 'hype' around it was considerably worse than the book itself.

Actually, I enjoyed the novel once I allowed myself to overcome the social stigma presented by my friends as they glared at the novel I was trying to read. In the novel presentation, Lolita seemed quite young, and throughout, I thought she was about six. There are points where Nab points to this as being untrue, but from her behaviour, I typically judged her as being immature.

Watching the film version of Lolita, however, did lead me to feel negatively towards the girl as she was considerably older 12, 13(?) and behaved in a manner unbecoming of the novel character. In a way, it seemed that the movie was the more contraversial side of the work, while the novel itself was quite tame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:04 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Hmm..Google won't let me even search for "Lolita" because my SafeSearch was on. What exactly is so controversial about it? [Well, not exactly-a vague hint would be wonderful]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:46 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: the petpet puddle, searching for pet matches. my gorgeous set is by _jaye_.
Squinchy wrote:
Hmm..Google won't let me even search for "Lolita" because my SafeSearch was on. What exactly is so controversial about it? [Well, not exactly-a vague hint would be wonderful]

older man hearts younger girl.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]