Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:44 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

wolftracker wrote:
Robinson Crusoe, I really, really tried to give this book a chance. I stuck with it all the way through the agonizing junk till he got stuck on the island hoping desperately that it would pick up there, but it didn't, at all. I should just sell my copy because all it's doing is collecting dust in my room.

That reminds me.. Treasure Island. Love the basic story, but it was just a little boring?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:55 am 
PPT God
PPT God

I was NOT assigned Beowulf! You kidding me? If I was...wooo, illustration projects here I come!
I just found three copies at my school, all of which were VERY abridged and not in the right meter or anything. (Seriously, in one they took out Wiglaf/Wigluf, depending on the translation. That's like having Pelennor without Eowyn... doesn't work.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:05 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Igg wrote:
Squinchy wrote:
Igg wrote:
Wuthering Heights. Not that I finished it. I was too busy using it to bash myself repeatedly on the head so I could FORGET THE ENTIRE EXPERIENCE.

Oh my god. I got to around page 30, then gave up. I couldn't find the least strand of plot in it, and the gothic style wasn't click'n for me.

I'm not someone who gives up easily on books, but that is SO DULL.

*gasp* I adore Wuthering Heights. It's so beautiful but I guess you do have to get into it. Once you understand what's going on is when you fully appreciate it. I love it. <3

It's coming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:29 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I started Catcher in the Rye several days ago. I'm about 1/3 of the way into it, and I do like it. [The main reason is probably because Caulfield reminds me of a very eccentric friend I have.] There are a few spots that drag, but also many more places that drip with sensitivity.

Twinkle wrote:
Igg wrote:
Squinchy wrote:
Igg wrote:
Wuthering Heights. Not that I finished it. I was too busy using it to bash myself repeatedly on the head so I could FORGET THE ENTIRE EXPERIENCE.

Oh my god. I got to around page 30, then gave up. I couldn't find the least strand of plot in it, and the gothic style wasn't click'n for me.

*gasp* I adore Wuthering Heights. It's so beautiful but I guess you do have to get into it. Once you understand what's going on is when you fully appreciate it. I love it. <3

I suppose a lot of books are like that--A Tale of Two Cities comes immediately to mind. My english class had to read it, and most hated it until it was nearly over. [Then they became more interested.]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:25 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Catcher in the Rye and Wuthering Heights need to be burned or something. Wuthering Heights was possibly the WORST book I've ever (attempted) to read.

Mas mothaionn tu fein mar rud eigin caite ar an dtra...
Lig dom goideail an croi duit...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:33 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Well.... sometimes classics are considered classics because they were considered a breakthrough of some sort during the times they were written or the reflected the particular period of time very well..... or so says my "so very passionate about classics" teacher :P

Jane Austen for example, was noticed because she had heroines who were not perfectly perfect and beautiful..... which mostly wasn't done in the times she was living in....

But books that reflect a certain period or were considered a breakthrough in their times doesn't always make for interesting reading in the now..... like Jack London was a bestseller in his time but not that many people rave over him now....

P.S. I'm not a Wuthering Heights fan myself either..... :P[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:06 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Location: New Jersey. The state we love to hate and hate to love.
*shudder* Beowulf. That guy was so horrible! The whole book I kept thinking, "Man, what a twink. That poor dragon was just trying to get his treasure back."
Bleh. And I usually really enjoy books. But that was too much.

...I still can't believe he hurt the draggy... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:31 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I am an avid reader, but Portrait of a Lady killed me. I don't think I really understood the point... being more moderen than the characters to see those thigns that are wrong as wrong and those things that are proper as proper. Yuck! The only thing that gave me so much trouble was The Aneid!

Image Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:31 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Twinkle wrote:
Igg wrote:
Squinchy wrote:
Igg wrote:

OR I did understand what was going on and I still thought it was crap? :roll:

Credit me with some intellect, please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:09 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Don't know if anyone has heard/read this, but it is supposedly a 'classic'.

A Separate Peace by John Knowles LITERALLY put me to sleep, and I had to read it for English. My teacher wandered why there was 'water' on my book. I told her I took it home when it was raining, when it was really a wee bit of slobber. That sounds bad, but . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:09 am 
PPT God
PPT God

A Separate Peace, eh? Didn't like it. I would have liked it, if it weren't for the ending. Yes, I'm still in the phase where I can't take to a book unless it has a good ending. ASP certainly did not. At all.
Like Catch-22, it was just overloaded with themes and symbols. In class, we analyzed every bit of symbolism. Sickening, really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:32 am 
PPT God
PPT God

vkceankraz wrote:
A Separate Peace, eh? Didn't like it. I would have liked it, if it weren't for the ending. Yes, I'm still in the phase where I can't take to a book unless it has a good ending. ASP certainly did not. At all.

That was my major problem with it. It had a decent rising climax, and then the plot was just shattered (pardon the pun) with the ending. The book focuses on all these details and then it gets to the end and it happens in a sentence. Pshaw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:49 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Practically everything read in my AP classes: The Grapes of Wrath (Steinbeck), The Jungle (Sinclair), Babbit (Lewis), The Age of Innocence (Warton), etc. Ugh. Especially The Age of Innocence. I'm scarred for life.

Don't be afraid to see the truth, even if no one wants you to. Be yourself and not a fool. Don't ever be afraid to speak your mind and listen to criticism. Dissent is keeps our country progressive and willingness to challenge yourself is what keeps yourself ever evolving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:09 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

All the english book's I've read have been pretty good, I tend to have good choice in English books, however one Welsh "Classic" book was a little bit of a disapointment "Barti Ddu", not that that means anything to you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:52 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Eo wrote:
Heh, I just realized that Cantebury Tales and Beowulf probably ARE required reading... but I'll only say they are when I or somebody I know is assigned them.

I had to read both this semester.

I love Canterbury Tales, but Beowulf... ugh, I was so glad to be done with that. Let's see, what else? I'm also going to apparently be the one person who's apathetic about Catcher in the Rye... it was alright, but nothing I'd pick up again. Same with A Separate Peace, although to be honest I can't even remember if I ever actually finished that.

Oh, and anyone ever heard of Siddhartha? Eurgh. Sorry.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next