Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Harry Potter (split, finally!)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:27 am 
PPT God
PPT God

WAR OF THE HOGWARTS - SQUEE!!

I have been waiting since Book 1 for a Hogwarts battle - not just the D.A. versus Death Eaters kind in Book 6, but an all-out war between the whole of Hogwarts and the Death Eaters. Loved Trelawney and her crystal balls, as well as Sprout's magical plants.

Also, I was appalled Harry didn't bother to check Ron's identity after he left Harry and Hermione. I keep expecting Ron to turn out to be a Death Eater, and the real Ron was captured/killed/Imperius'd.

Lastly, I noticed that each of Voldie's Horcruxes were destroyed by different people: Harry stabbed the Diary (had to look up Book 2 to make sure Ginny didn't do it), Ron destroyed the locket, Dumbledore did the ring, Hermione fang'd the cup, Neville killed Nagini, Crabbe casted the Fiendfyre that ruined the diadem, and Voldie himself killed Harry. I was rather disappointed to see that Harry off'd the Diary when I went back and check - it would've been, um, interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:32 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I finished it last night, and I really enjoyed it. I'm glad that I didn't read any real spoilers (I refused to look at the scanned pages of the book, especially after the leak was confirmed) and I resisted the temptation to skip to the end to check the last word. I'm not sure if it was my favourite Harry Potter book, but it's certainly in my top 3. Here are my thoughts this morning (finished reading it last night)
Did anyone notice that mugglenet.com's harry potter guide got it totally wrong when it came to dobby's death- he was listed as the most unlikely character to die at 1/100, with Voldy a certainty at 100/1. In their defense, not many people would have guessed it :(
Also as mentioned above, Tonks and Remus' death (especially after their baby!) was so sad :( . I must admit I thought Hagrid was a goner, and I was convinced that one of the trio would die. I loved Ron's 'betrayal' and Hermione was a champion. It was really interesting to learn all about Dumbledore's backstory, and I was astounded to hear about the Grey Lady and Bloody barron. Regarding the epilogue, I was admittedly a little disappointed...
The battle of hogwarts scene was very well written.
I just wish a little tidbit about the dursleys (especially petuinia and dudley) had been included in the end or epilogue, and that ginny had more of an active role.
Regarding the Snape/Lily relationship that most of us were speculating about prior to the release of the book, I think it was very touching and well-done (especially with the doe patronus!) though I am really glad that his true loyalty was only revealed after his bittersweet death.

I just have one question:
Did JKR ever reveal why Dudley was so affected by the dementors in HBP?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:41 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Bangel wrote:
*sigh*
Fred.

I just have nothing else to say.
I feel hollow and empty.
*sigh*

I quote. I've just finished reading it and... well... good book, but it brought me close to tears too many times.

I wish a lot of people hadn't died. Apart from Fred, who had taken Sirius's place as my favourite character. I think I've got a knack for picking those fated to die.

Too many loose ends, though. What happened to Lavender? Did she die, or become a werewolf, or what? And the others? They mentioned 50 bodies, Harry (and us) would have known many of them, why not to mention them even in passing? Too rushed. Way too much.

Set by Pixa <3 || WWW for previous sets || T-Shirts gallery
Support Roo Island!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:22 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I spent an extra long time reading it so I could savor every moment...and now I'm finally done.
Of course, the death list I happened upon was true, yet I somehow managed to miss Fred's name on it. Despite liking the book tremendously, especially how JKR integrated the Grindelwald stuff, I wish there was a bit more. Namely:
-Whatever happened to the Hogwarts teachers having spouses? I was rather disappointed not to see any.
-JKR said a squibb would produce magic late in life, yet that didn't happen.
-WHY WASN"T LUNA IN THE EPILOGUE?!?! I would have loved for her to discover a real crumple-horned snorcack, I feel it would really tie everything in her story together.
-And finally...why didn't she give Umbridge her just desserts? As soon as they mentioned her, I began hoping wildly that she would be nixed in the most suitable way possible...perhaps a giant quill stabbing her in the back? (please excuse my sudden burst of violence there)

Anyways, I was still pleasantly surprised with many things...the Grindelwald and Dumbledore story, Kreacher turning out good, Xenophilius (my heart skipped a beat when I saw his name in the table of contents), and of course, Snape's memories. Although it was far from perfect, it'll have to do, and I suppose that's all I can ask for.

Last edited by Byakuya San on Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:45 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

ahoteinrun wrote:
I wish we could have had more indepth things about the duels that had been taking place. I'm still quite chuffed about Tonks/Lupin being offed. I too wish I know what could have happened more in the future. Like a proper epilogue or something. Or a letter from someone to someone else. I'm also a bit peeved she offed Hedwig. Do we have a proper body count here?

Hedwig.
Madeye
The Creevey Kid
Fred
Tonks
Lupin
Snape
Voldey

Hmm. I did however enjoy Mrs. Weasley smacking up Bellatrix.

Six hours later to bring me coherancy? Who knows.

As found on a LJ community before the book was released (that I bookmarked, closed out of, and didn't read until I'd finished the book):
1. WHO DIES (CHRONOLOGICALLY, THANKS TO A LOVELY PERSON BELOW)?

The Muggle Studies teacher Charity Burbage
Hedwig
Mad Eye
Scrimgeour
Ted Tonks
Pettigrew
Dobby
Grindelwald
Colin Creevy
Crabbe (killed in the Room of Requirement by his own spell, which causes a fire)
Fred Weasley (killed when a wall is destroyed by a DE in final battle)
Lupin
Nymphadora Tonks
Fenrir Greyback
Snape
Nagini
Bellatrix (pwned by Molly)
VOLDIE

And yeah, what the heck on the final names.

Gone, forever.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:09 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Byakuya San wrote:
I spent an extra long time reading it so I could savor every moment...and now I'm finally done.
Of course, the death list I happened upon was true, yet I somehow managed to miss Fred's name on it. Despite liking the book tremendously, especially how JKR integrated the Grindelwald stuff, I wish there was a bit more. Namely:
-Whatever happened to the Hogwarts teachers having spouses? I was rather disappointed not to see any.
-JKR said a squibb would produce magic late in life, yet that didn't happen.
-WHY WASN"T LUNA IN THE EPILOUGE?!?! I would have loved for her to discover a real crumple-horned snorcack, I feel it would really tie everything in her story together.
-And finally...why didn't she give Umbridge her just desserts? As soon as they mentioned her, I began hoping wildly that she would be nixed in the most suitable way possible...perhaps I giant quill stabbing her in the back? (please excuse my sudden burst of violence there)

Anyways, I was still pleasantly surprised with many things...the Grindelwald and Dumbledore story, Kreacher turning out good, Xenophilius (my heart skipped a beat when I saw his name in the table of contents), and of course, Snape's memories. Although it was far from perfect, it'll have to do, and I suppose that's all I can ask for.

Good points :) I remember waiting for Filch to cast a spell during the battle when it became clear that Mrs. Figg wouldn't take much part in the story and after we learned that Ariana wasn't a squib. I was also disappointed that no spouses of current staff members showed up , not even another filch/madame pince clue ;)
I also wish we knew what dumbledore meant when he asked petunia to "remember my last" and why dudley reacted so strongly to the dementors in ootp.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:14 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Alex wrote:
As found on a LJ community before the book was released (that I bookmarked, closed out of, and didn't read until I'd finished the book):
1. WHO DIES (CHRONOLOGICALLY, THANKS TO A LOVELY PERSON BELOW)?

The Muggle Studies teacher Charity Burbage
Hedwig
Mad Eye
Scrimgeour
Ted Tonks
Pettigrew
Dobby
Grindelwald
Colin Creevy
Crabbe (killed in the Room of Requirement by his own spell, which causes a fire)
Fred Weasley (killed when a wall is destroyed by a DE in final battle)
Lupin
Nymphadora Tonks
Fenrir Greyback
Snape
Nagini
Bellatrix (pwned by Molly)
VOLDIE

Bathilda? Dirk? The other goblin?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:50 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: New Zealand Weapon: HaaH Sword Species: Human Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My only question. WHAT THE HELL was with the 'thing' randomly gurgling in pain in the background in Harry's Head?

Harry: Is this all happening in my head?
Dumbledore: Of course it is, though it doesn't make it any less real.
Harry: Does this mean I'm crazy?
Dumbledore: Only if I tell you to burn things.
Harry: ...
Dumbledore: Well, you better get going.

*harry wakes up. everything is on fire*

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:14 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I want to know if it's just me...but I seriously cried the hardest when Dobby died. I can't help it, I loved him as a character a lot more than Fred (that's not to say that I'm not terribly, terribly shaken by the other deaths, because I am) but seriously, WHY???

I have so many thoughts and I'm not going to post them all because I think that sort of thing is better sorted out in a journal entry than ranted on a forum.

However, I did want to comment that while I admire Jo's authorship and general "tie it all together" skills, I was a little surprised in this book how often she stretched things to fit into the general scheme - the die and come back thing was so cliché! Oh, I'll survive, I still loved it, but...hell.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:30 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

he could only die and come back because he was the master of death as he had all three of the deathly hallows though (although he didnt actually have the wand he was the rightful owner)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:37 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Am I the only one thats sad that Snape died?! He was like my favorite character. And on top of that, I TOLD everyone that he was good. :) The only think wrong about was Neville kicking in. I felt that the epilogue was a poorly written fanfic? I mean...it sounds just like all the fan fictions out there lol. I was kind of shocked at how fast everything got put into motion, I was hooked instantly and I LOVED the chapter at the beginning with Snape. HBP took forever to get started and I just didn't feel the first chapter was good enough...

Overall I have to say this is my favorite book. Followed by OotP.

I once was Lost but now am Shadow, was blind but now I see.
Me: JAS SAVE PPT!
Jas: ugh. okay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:48 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I won the death pool at work, but it's a bit of a hollow victory. *sniffles* Remus! Tonks! Hedwig!

Overall, this turned out to be my second favorite Harry Potter book. I was surprised. It felt like a fitting end to an era.

Can't stand the epilogue, though--why doesn't anyone other than Neville have a job mentioned? I'd much rather hear about what Hermione's doing with S.P.E.W. than read about all those annoying kids who don't want to be in Slytherin.

Christopher wrote:
My only question. WHAT THE HELL was with the 'thing' randomly gurgling in pain in the background in Harry's Head?

Harry: Is this all happening in my head?
Dumbledore: Of course it is, though it doesn't make it any less real.
Harry: Does this mean I'm crazy?
Dumbledore: Only if I tell you to burn things.
Harry: ...
Dumbledore: Well, you better get going.

*harry wakes up. everything is on fire*

Hee!

I thought that the thing was the bit of Voldemort's soul that was in Harry, maybe. It reminded me of Voldie at the beginning of GoF, anyway.

ImageImageImage
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. - Samuel Clemens

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:56 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

What I wanted to know is:
-Who is Malfoy married to? O_o
-Where they got the Sword back from? As far as I knew, the goblin took it. But it says it's on the table next to Neville after the fight..... maybe I read it wrong or something XD

|Nifty set by Silja|

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:05 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: New Zealand Weapon: HaaH Sword Species: Human Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Shoelace wrote:
What I wanted to know is:
-Who is Malfoy married to? O_o
-Where they got the Sword back from? As far as I knew, the goblin took it. But it says it's on the table next to Neville after the fight..... maybe I read it wrong or something XD

It came out of the sorting hat again, but again, WHY?

PuddingofEvil wrote:
I thought that the thing was the bit of Voldemort's soul that was in Harry, maybe. It reminded me of Voldie at the beginning of GoF, anyway.

That makes sense
So he's been livign with a zombie foetus in his head for how many years now?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:21 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sounds like a case for Doctor House!

I just thought it was well lame. OH NOES HARRY YOU MUST DIE O WAIT ACTUALLY NO LOLS

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next