Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 29  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:05 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Trick wrote:
Voldemort is after all a very clever nasty dude

XD That amused me =D

Trick wrote:
I'll be very interested to see some things explained more in the next book, the Veil in particular as I expected that to be explained in this book - Harry has asked no one yet? Kinda odd I think.

What are you hoping will be explained about it?
It was in the department of mysteries for a reason, you know.

Love is blindness. -- Set by my Secret Santa =D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:19 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Sapphire Faerie wrote:
Trick wrote:
I'll be very interested to see some things explained more in the next book, the Veil in particular as I expected that to be explained in this book - Harry has asked no one yet? Kinda odd I think.

What are you hoping will be explained about it?
It was in the department of mysteries for a reason, you know.

Then perhaps the reason it was put there ;) Hehe, I don't know, I was just expecting Harry to enquire about it a little. It just seemed to have been put there for the sole purpose of Sirius falling through it, but no one has so much as asked what the Veil was called, or had anyone else fallen through it. Or going into more about the voices Harry and Luna could hear. Perhaps it will be talked about again later or perhaps there is just nothing else to know.

Either way I hate knowing that it's going to be ages until the next book, I just don't have the patience! :)

Petpet Central

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:10 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Trick wrote:
Tharkun wrote:
All right then, let's see what you make of the "cling to some desperate hope" part that refers to "conspiracy theorists."

The hope that Snape is not evil, or the hope that he is evil? She doesn't specify. She could even be referring to what some conspiracy theorists do in general as there are plenty of various theories that have been about since the beginning. Or she may not count those who believe Snape isn't evil as conspiracy theorists from where she is standing.
ink.

Or, hope that Dumbledore isn't really dead (or that Sirius isn't really dead) -- theories I've seen tossed around that, while possible, seem very unlikely given the usual conventions of story structure, which pretty much require the hero's mentors to die.

Or, it was merely friendly banter with the interviewer.

In the end of the interview she clearly states that telling whether Snape were evil would be a spoiler. This suggests to me that yes, she genuinely meant it to be ambiguous.

Rowling hasn't *always* shyed away from setting fan theories (like "Dumbledore is Harry's grandfather," or "Voldemort is the Half-Blood Prince") to rest in the past, after all.

I mean, I presume you've read the arguments that Snape might not be evil. I don't claim these are ironclad arguments -- like I said, it seems to me that the issue was meant to be ambigious. But, I think they're good arguments... I don't think it's farfetched that they're right.

If I'm in denial, you must think they're bad arguments.... I mean, really bad arguments, completely unreasonable, easy to rebut.

So, can you come up with a rebuttal? "You're in denial" is not a rebuttal. "I think that Snape couldn't have performed Killing Curse unless he was evil" isn't a rebuttal unless you can come up with support from the text. (The Killing Curse, mind you -- besides being somewhat ambiguous, the quote from Bellatrix was also about different curse).

:shrug: Like I said before, while I think that your opinion that Snape is really evil is a reasonable one (though not one I share), other reasonable people may disagree. The fact that people disagree with your opinion does not automatically make them in denial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:31 am 
PPT God
PPT God

bgryph wrote:
Or, hope that Dumbledore isn't really dead (or that Sirius isn't really dead) -- theories I've seen tossed around that, while possible, seem very unlikely given the usual conventions of story structure, which pretty much require the hero's mentors to die.

Like someone has already said (err.. maybe not here, but somewhere): Gandalf was the mentor, Dumbledore-like character and he died but came back. Aslan-- similar role: died and came back.

There is hope for the white bumblebee yet!

In fact, I just read an article in some magazine that mentioned how closely Dumbledore is associated with phoenixes (he has one, his patronus is one) which might be foreshadowing his rebirth. Also note that in the book, it said something along the lines of "Harry was sure that [fawkes] would never be returning to the school again" but then again, Book 7 isn't even going to be set in the school by the way things are looking, so I'm sure we'll see Fawkes (and possibly Dumbledore) again.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:50 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I doubt Dumbledore will be coming back. Much like I doubt Regulus Black truely is the R.A.B from the letter.

Dumbledore won't be coming back as it means Harry has to face Voldemort effectively by himself. Ron, Hermione and the Order will most likely face the death eaters, whereas if Dumbledore had been alive, both he and Harry would have had a fighting chance at beating Voldemort

Regulus Black was hinted at too many times during the book. Seems like J.K. Rowling put it there specifically for the fanboys and girls to come up with as many conspiricy theories as possible. If I were a writer I'd do the same, make people go off on massive rants about all the clues to sit back and laugh my head off at some of the theories. My guess is R.A.B. is a self-entitled name. Much like Snape's "Half-blood Prince"hood. I'll be surprised if R.A.B. is as simply as Regulus A. Black

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:09 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

To be honest, I haven't read this thread through. I'm just going to post what I think will happen.

I think that Harry is the horcrux. Voldemort was going to kill Harry to create another horcrux, but instead he made it with Harry's parent's bodies, which is why blood protects Harry. This means that Harry must destroy all the horcruxes and then kill himself after killing Voldemort, which means both Harry and Voldemort will die.

CD raised these points to me:

1) Why would Voldemort try to kill his own Horcrux time after time again
2) Why would he make somebody who's such a danger to him a Horcrux?

I replied:

1) I have two explanations. The first is that Voldemort doesn't know that he made Harry a horcrux, and the second is, if he did know, he has so much of his soul spread about anyway it wouldn't matter because he could create another with HARRY'S body.
2) Number two, Voldemort made Harry a horcrux unintentionally. It clearly states in the book that Voldemort was going to kill Harry, then get something from Gryffindor to encase his soul in, with Harry's death. Instead, he encased his soul in HARRY with Harry's parent's deaths, which, again, would explain the blood thing.

It also had a big implication when Dumbledore said 'or who' on the horcrux issue. It would also explain where Harry got his Parsletongue capabilities and looked like Voldemort, etc.

(Oh, and I think Snape is good. I think it was arranged, because Snape was supposed to keep in favour with the Death Eaters, for Snape to kill Dumbledore if he had to. Also, I think that he also killed Dumbledore because he had taken the Unbreakable Vow, and Draco couldn't complete his mission, which was to kill Dumbledore, so Snape had to do it for him. -nods-)

|| Set // WIS < 33 ||

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:23 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Well Voldemort heard the first part of the phrophecy right? He knows that Harry is the only one who can kill him. So by putting part of his soul into Harry, he knows that even if Harry kills Voldemort's body, he will survive. It's also been said in this topic this Voldemort cannot comprehend love so he thinks that Harry would never kill himself to protect the ones he loves so he will have a foolproof way to gain immortality. Hey ho, that's my theory anyway.

It's coming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:26 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Those are very good points, Liv. Didn't Dumbledore say something about Voldemort unintentionaly giving some of his soul to Harry? (I think it was in book 2 or 3, maybe even 1 O.o)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:53 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Location: A land full of joy and happiness, and happiness and joy.
Amethyst wrote:
Those are very good points, Liv. Didn't Dumbledore say something about Voldemort unintentionaly giving some of his soul to Harry? (I think it was in book 2 or 3, maybe even 1 O.o)

It was book 2:

J.K. Rowling wrote:
'You can Speak Parseltongue, Harry,' said Dumbledore calmly, 'beacuse Lord Vodemort - who is the last remaining ancestor of Salazar Slytherin - can speak Parseltongue. Unless I'm much mistaken, he transfered some of his own powers to you the night he gave you that scar.

It was some of his powers not some of his soul.

[URL=http://randomness.talonz.com/smf]ImageImage
Set by WIS/Button by TS.
Join a werewolf game! Click here![/URL]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:02 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Anubis wrote:
To be honest, I haven't read this thread through. I'm just going to post what I think will happen.

I think that Harry is the horcrux. Voldemort was going to kill Harry to create another horcrux, but instead he made it with Harry's parent's bodies, which is why blood protects Harry. This means that Harry must destroy all the horcruxes and then kill himself after killing Voldemort, which means both Harry and Voldemort will die.

I replied:

1) I have two explanations. The first is that Voldemort doesn't know that he made Harry a horcrux, and the second is, if he did know, he has so much of his soul spread about anyway it wouldn't matter because he could create another with HARRY'S body.
2) Number two, Voldemort made Harry a horcrux unintentionally. It clearly states in the book that Voldemort was going to kill Harry, then get something from Gryffindor to encase his soul in, with Harry's death. Instead, he encased his soul in HARRY with Harry's parent's deaths, which, again, would explain the blood thing.

It also had a big implication when Dumbledore said 'or who' on the horcrux issue. It would also explain where Harry got his Parsletongue capabilities and looked like Voldemort, etc.

(Oh, and I think Snape is good. I think it was arranged, because Snape was supposed to keep in favour with the Death Eaters, for Snape to kill Dumbledore if he had to. Also, I think that he also killed Dumbledore because he had taken the Unbreakable Vow, and Draco couldn't complete his mission, which was to kill Dumbledore, so Snape had to do it for him. -nods-)

I'm still re-reading and haven't got to that part yet, could you clarify what page/chapter it's in?

that's me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:29 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Location: A land full of joy and happiness, and happiness and joy.
jellyoflight wrote:
Anubis wrote:

I replied:

I'm still re-reading and haven't got to that part yet, could you clarify what page/chapter it's in?

*cough*because it didn't*cough*

[URL=http://randomness.talonz.com/smf]ImageImage
Set by WIS/Button by TS.
Join a werewolf game! Click here![/URL]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:27 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

ok.
first things first; my theory doesnt work.
Voldemort didnt know the bit about harry being the only one who could kill him and vice-versa.

however, i will explain why it did work.

1: the prophercy, long story short: only harry can bump off Voldemort and vice-versa.

2:the Horcrux. solong as a Horcrux exists, Voldemrt cannot be killed.

now. only harry can kill Voldemort.
if harry where a Horcrux, harry MUST die for Voldemort to die, and so, if harry is dead Voldemort has a free reign.

not that it matters, as it doesnt pan out anyway.

on the other hand, i somhow doubt that the naming of Horace is incidental.
im thinking she drew ideas from the god Horus... the avenger
im taking bets that its Horace that bumps off ol Snape, or prehaps otherwise avenges somone.
possibly Sirius (killing Bellatrix)
at the moment anything he could do would be incidental, but then, its rather a habit of ... the writer (drawing a total blank right now :roll: ) to do stuff all sneaky like.
still, i think theres more than coincedance in his name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:10 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I hate it when people say Harry has to be the one that kills Voldemort (or vice versa). It says in the Prophecy that Voldemort will mark Harry as his equal and that neither can live while the other survives. This doesn't mean Harry is necessarily the "Chosen One". It never states "Harry must be the one that kills Voldemort"

As for the soul in Harry (Horcrux). Voldemort could barely stand a minute of possessing Harry, the love flowing through his body burnt him, even after coming back stronger than ever and being able to touch Harry. The idea that a part of his soul could last FIFTEEN years in Harry is absurd really. If J.K. Rowling uses that, I'll be exceedingly disappointed.

Quote:
You have flitted into Lord Voldemort's mind without doing damage to yourself, but he cannot possess you without enduring mortal agony, as he discovered in the Ministry.

Last edited by TDG on Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:34 am 
PPT God
PPT God

I doubt Voldemort could 'accidentally' make something a Horcrux. Seeing as how it's more than likely a complicated process I think it would be rather difficult to make a Horcrux on accident.

And Harry is going to be the one that destroys Voldemort because like Dumbledore said, Voldemort's just going to keep trying to kill Harry and I don't exactly remember what he said but it would come down to the fact that Harry would want to be the one to kill him and that he couldn't rest until he did or something along those lines. I'll find the proper quote tomorrow.

Plus, Harry, Ron, and Hermione are the only living souls that know about the Horcruxes (besides Voldemort), so they're the only ones that have a fighting chance at defeating Voldemort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:45 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Setekh wrote:
on the other hand, i somhow doubt that the naming of Horace is incidental.
im thinking she drew ideas from the god Horus... the avenger
im taking bets that its Horace that bumps off ol Snape, or prehaps otherwise avenges somone.
possibly Sirius (killing Bellatrix)
at the moment anything he could do would be incidental, but then, its rather a habit of ... the writer (drawing a total blank right now :roll: ) to do stuff all sneaky like.
still, i think theres more than coincedance in his name.

Who's Horace?

It's a smart duck....watch it do math..........o.0

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 29  Next