Got a little techonology problem that you need fixed pronto? Post it here and we'll see what we can do.
Topic locked

Weird folders in my C: drive!

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:33 pm

They haven't really bothered me much, but there just seems to be more and more every time I look, so I'm wondering why are they there?

They're called things like: 5ef84dc9d95ee6041dca5ec3f4ce6c and d0de46ba7f0dec8f01. Inside they have other folders called other weird things and in each of those folders there's a file called fltmc, fltip.dll and fltmg. I've looked that up and apparently it's a windows file, but why have I got so many of them in my C: drive, and why are they in weird folder names...

Any help guys?

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:40 pm

I think it has to do with the Microsoft Update program, because I have several folders in my C: drive that are similarly named (not exact, but a weird combo of letters and numbers), and in some of those are programs that came from the update program (SP2 setup program, malicious software removal tool program, etc.).

Honestly, I wouldn't really worry about them, but I wouldn't delete them either because they could cause problems.

Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:43 pm

I'm pretty certain they are, indeed, related to Windows Update. :)

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:02 pm

..I don't like them :P They're so odd and look spywarish, so I thought I'd check em out. Thanks you two ;)

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:38 pm

When you update some drivers, they make strange file folders like that also. Good to know about Windows Update too.
Topic locked