Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: My PC just black out
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:40 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

OK, my PC in my bedroom just died on me. it happened an hour ago when i heard a pop sound and my PC just black out. i am now typing this from the spare PC in my living room. anyone knows what happens? i have tried changing my monitor and cables, as well as the battery. however, the PC just black out after the initial ram test showing..what is most likely to be damaged? the power supply or the RAM?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:07 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: New Zealand Weapon: HaaH Sword Species: Human Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
From my own experiences a 'pop' sound means 'goodbye power supply'. My experience was in my big chunky computer and wasnt so much a pop as a boom with green copper-y effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:25 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Check your power supply -- check cables, try plugging something into the same outlet your computer is plugged in to. If your PC is still dead (and any other device works from that outlet), you most likely have a dead power supply.

The amount of damage inflicted depends on what happened (a sudden surge of energy can fry your whole PC, if your power supply is not of the best quality). Your best bet is to consult a professional.

Will you stop with the honour stuff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:31 pm 

Indeed. Find your trusty neighborhood computer store.

You can change your power supply yourself, but that may not have been the root cause of the problem. If there's a short somewhere in the computer, that'll cause the power supply to overload, and putting in a new one will just be a 50-dollar waste, as it'll blow too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:56 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Just be grateful it was only a pop and not a BOOM! with fireworks eminating from your PC. I think it was your power supply. I have had an electrical surge hit my PC and my whole Hard Drive was erased. When we turned it on after that, it just showed a blank screen. We jad to get my dads friend, a computer expert to fix ours so I would suggest getting an expert to look at yours as well.

ImageImage
Set - Sunnie
Blinkie - Chass
Left.
ALL HAIL XENU!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:38 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

aww..this sounds like big trouble...or that maybe i should scrap my PC and get a new one..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:43 am 

Cost installing a new power supply (with labor someplace): less than $100 bucks.

Cost of new PC - depends.

I think it's best to start small - if they put in a new power supply, and your computer works fine, then no worries, right? And if they can't do anything, and you spend $100, that's still no more than about 15% of the cost of a new machine, added onto it. It's worth it to start with the repairs, methinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:23 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Was anything blocking the fan? I had a comp that went like that, and almost lit on fire (?? i dunno xD (sparks)), but it overheated, because paper was blocking the fan.

Ummm.. its been a while since i've been to ppt.. and no I don't play neopets anymore.. since 2004

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]