Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:42 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Dragonfire wrote:
mogster500 wrote:
Well, if you read the news, Dell bought Alien Ware. That means, "Don't buy me!" :D

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146435.html

I don't understand why people think Dells are a piece of crap. My dad has had his Dell for 6 (going on 7) years, and the only major problems we had with it were the hard drive needing to be replaced (that was 1 or 2 years ago), and the OS (it came shipped with ME >_<).

I don't know about the older Dells, but the new ones are packed with programs that spy on the user and report information back to Dell. You can't even uninstall it, and it's incredibly hard to remove it. Not to mention that the actual computer is very cheaply made and parts break often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:54 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

mogster500 wrote:
Dragonfire wrote:
mogster500 wrote:
Well, if you read the news, Dell bought Alien Ware. That means, "Don't buy me!" :D

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146435.html

I don't understand why people think Dells are a piece of crap. My dad has had his Dell for 6 (going on 7) years, and the only major problems we had with it were the hard drive needing to be replaced (that was 1 or 2 years ago), and the OS (it came shipped with ME >_<).

I don't know about the older Dells, but the new ones are packed with programs that spy on the user and report information back to Dell. You can't even uninstall it, and it's incredibly hard to remove it. Not to mention that the actual computer is very cheaply made and parts break often.

The thing about most "name brand" computers is they all use the same parts made in the same places. They just have the parts "branded". Whether it's to make you stay with their replacement parts or make it harder to try to use a different hardware replacement, the end result is the same. Most do use cheap, crappy parts, and alot of them don't even ship with adequate PSUs or ram.

I didn't know about the Dell tracking programs! That's sneaky. Oh, and Dell does sell computers with intel chips. I prefer athlons myself (exept I can't get a webcam to work with the VIA chipset -- they don't play well together). The days of althons running alot hotter than intel are over with the intel 4. That's what my computer tech told me anyway.

Alienware I did look into awhile ago, very expensive and I do think you're paying for the name.

To be honest, if you're looking for a relatively inexpensive desktop, just go look at eMachines. A friend of mine has one, it's about 6 years old and at this point will need replacing soon, but it's never given her a minute of problems. My beef with them is a really inadequate PSU and a small case, so you can't just get a "normal" sized one to replace it.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:18 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Why does everyone hate Dell? My Megumi's a Dell, and she's going on seven years old. I've had absolutely no problems with her at all since we got her, other than ME being crap.

My other girl, Neya, was custom built, but that was back in 1995.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:22 am 
PPT God
PPT God

mogster500 wrote:

Really? Hm, I didn't know that. It's not like other computer makers/software developers do that (sure, they might tell you, but it's all the same). I've also never experienced any part of a Dell break that was made by Dell.

A little off-topic, but I'm not biased to Dell because their headquarters is like 10 minutes away from where I live. xD

Speculation Central - Thinking about the future... Today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:49 am 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

The guts on most computers are the same... The programing and the build of the computer is not.

Dell does load thier machines with tons of crap that will make it incredably slow. This is why if you know how build your own. Or buy a cheep computer to get the majority of the stuff like the mobo and then upgrade the rest yourself and install a clean store bought version of the OS.

My recomendations for parts is something like this...

graphics card... Nvidia
Ram... Corsair
CPU... AMD

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2