Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Computer not working
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:33 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

As you can guess from the topic, a computer is not working, but not mine. Anoohilator's computer has gone poof and he therefore wants me to ask the following question, typed by him.

Ok I came back today to find out that my computer turned on but the screen didn't. The serial number is CV82900478 and it is an IMedia 5068 - I'm working on Windows XP home edition. I also noticed that instead of beeping once, like it usually does, there was no beep. I researched this and found out that I have a system board problem but I don't really know how to resolve this.

I recently added an ethernet port and also installed a small network in the house, which has been working fine for the last few days. When I checked, the router was all working fine apart from the little light indicating that the USB is working ok, which wasn't on. This is usually connected to my computer.

I tried logging into the computer, without actually using the screen (using just the keyboard), which I have done before, but that didn't work, so I assumed that there is something wrong inside the computer. As I said the monitor wouldn't turn on, but instead all I got was the small amber LED lighting up, which I usually see when the computer is switched off.

Just to check if there was a problem with the monitor itself, I unplugged the monitor cable from the computer - the screen then turned on, with a green light replacing the amber one, and I received the no signal message. As soon as I plugged the cable back in, the computer resumed it's previous state.

I have no idea how to solve this problem and I was hoping that someone here could shed some light onto the situation. Thanks :)

|| Set // WIS < 33 ||

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

That would depend on how comfortable you feel opening the case and playing inside. If you feel comfortable, unplug the machine, remove all PCI cards and see what happens. Then next try no ram in the system. if you get a bunch of beeps thats good. If no beeps, thats bad. Could be CPU and/or Motherboard.

Check out my Gallery
Neo User

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:36 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Yup the problem has been resolved now (was my comp). I just took out the ethernet port and put it back in :)

ImageImage

Boom-shaka-laka! Rawr come and join us in the Randomness
Sig Halloween'd by Tom!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:39 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Anoohilator wrote:
Yup the problem has been resolved now (was my comp). I just took out the ethernet port and put it back in :)

That is awfully strange. oO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:25 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Paul wrote:
Anoohilator wrote:

That is awfully strange. oO

Yeah I thought so too - I took the RAM out seperately first - that had no effect. Then I had a thought and wondered if the newly installed ethernet port was the problem and I was right ;) I took it out to see if it worked and then checked to see if it worked with it back in, and I was right o_O

ImageImage

Boom-shaka-laka! Rawr come and join us in the Randomness
Sig Halloween'd by Tom!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:18 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Anoohilator wrote:

thats normal - I see it all the time for a loose card to cause that. They actually have a technical term for it. Its called chip creep.

Check out my Gallery
Neo User

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:34 am 

freddyflinstone wrote:
Anoohilator wrote:

thats normal - I see it all the time for a loose card to cause that. They actually have a technical term for it. Its called chip creep.

I remember that used to happen a lot when various memory assignments didn't work out. I'm not sure if that's still an issue today with soft-switch motherboards, rather than the ones with jumpers and the lot.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]