Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Recommened Computers
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:16 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Well, in about a month, I am going to buy a new computer, does anyone have any recommendations for me? I mean, I havent bought a computer in 7 years, so its time for me to look for new ones 8) I need a computer that can holda lot of memory for games xD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:14 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Well, I was going to suggest a Mac, but since you need memory for games... xD

If you suggest a price range, I'd be able to give you a more accurate recommendation, but the Dell XPS systems are supposed to be excellent for gaming enthusiasts, but of course they cost a lot.

Speculation Central - Thinking about the future... Today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:19 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: New Zealand Weapon: HaaH Sword Species: Human Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Well you don't want to go with one from a brand name store. How much money do you have to spend...?

For the latest games you need the following (at least, I mean you can run games, and then you can run games properly, this is for the properly)

AMD 3500+ or better processor
1-2gigs of RAM
nvidia 6800 or higher graphics card Graphics card rankings, fairly good
Hard Drive depends on whether you are just gaming, or are a downloading lunatic like me. 300 gigs of HDD is pretty cheap and good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:26 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Repeat after me ... Do not buy a gateway, do not buy a gateway ...

Really, the worst piece of garbage I ever owned, hd fried in under a year and they wouldn't honor their own warranty, plus it just wasn't a great computer.

I had my current one built, cost was around $900, but this was about 5 years ago when everything was brand new:

AMD athlon XP 1800+
1.54 GHz
1 GB Ram (needs replacing I think)
3D Prophet 4500 video card (I know, it's old)
CD burner
DVD player (will be upgrading to burner)
80 Gig HD - more than enough for me
floppy disc drive (yes some of us actually DO still use those)

It's in a nice large case with a thermaltake 420watt dual fan PSU and another case fan, lots of room for working/updating.

If there's anyplace near you that has a good certified tech who does build computers, gives you a warranty and has a good rep, I'd say have one built. You're not limited on what you can upgrade/change and you don't have to worry that the computer you're buying was built months ago and has been sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:43 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

everconfused wrote:
Repeat after me ... Do not buy a gateway, do not buy a gateway ...

Really, the worst piece of garbage I ever owned, hd fried in under a year and they wouldn't honor their own warranty, plus it just wasn't a great computer.

Believe her. After the monitor fiasco and with my first one with a dead modem, don't ever buy one.

If you have the skill and or tech friends, you can buy the parts you want and save a lot of money. You can easily create a awesome computer with the best stuff probably under $1500. (Just bring pizza and soda)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:50 am 

Build your own computer.
Honestly, there's thousands of well informed sites that you can use. You can get the system requirements that you need, or even more, as well as saving a few hundred dollars by not paying a company to assemble it for you. Honestly, you don't have to be a genius. I'm 14 and building them for my friends and family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:35 am 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

Alienware!!!!!

If you want a gaming computer the alienware aurora 7500 is the best other than like an alienware alx or a voodoo. But i reccomend an alienware all the way... the dont load a ton of crap on your OS when you buy it like dell and most other companies plus they are well made. Get a Nvidia grafics card.... if you must have something else radion would be second. I reccomend a gig of ram at least because with vista coming out in the near future and all the new memory intensive applications you will need it. Get whatever else suits you from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:08 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Breene wrote:
Alienware!!!!!

If you want a gaming computer the alienware aurora 7500 is the best other than like an alienware alx or a voodoo. But i reccomend an alienware all the way... the dont load a ton of crap on your OS when you buy it like dell and most other companies plus they are well made. Get a Nvidia grafics card.... if you must have something else radion would be second. I reccomend a gig of ram at least because with vista coming out in the near future and all the new memory intensive applications you will need it. Get whatever else suits you from there.

Alienware is so overpriced now though, you're practically paying for the name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:43 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

They are good computers... and ive done tons of research on about every brand of computers and if you configure the same stuff on just about anything else except maby a voodoo it would be the same. Like someone else said building one isnt a bad idea if you know how. Dont even attempt it if you dont know a good deal about computers.

But still even with the price of an alienware its way worth it. If you could tell us maby a price range that would be very helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:46 pm 

Computers........ I would go with an HP computer instead of a Dell. But if you were able to get someone to build your own computer then that would be better than buying a computer from Dell or buying an HP computer. Take this advice from someone that owns a Dell computer. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:54 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Since we're on the subject of making computers, can someone suggest a good guide to look for in the way of parts, or make any suggestions yourself?
I'm looking to make my own computer, but I have no idea where to turn to when it comes to tower cases, or how I would assemble a cooling fan for a processor.
I need a guide, in particular, of where I can find parts, and which ones are the best for their prices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:50 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Hi Cat

I like Newegg, it's where I got my new PSU at a good price and they ship quickly. They have just about anything you could be looking for computer-wise.

Other sites I've used are tomshardware.com and I have had a look at mysuperpc.com -- that's a computer building site.

Me? I don't think I'd ever try myself. There are things I could probably do, it the whole setting the chip thing that scares me to death.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:36 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Breene wrote:
They are good computers... and ive done tons of research on about every brand of computers and if you configure the same stuff on just about anything else except maby a voodoo it would be the same. Like someone else said building one isnt a bad idea if you know how. Dont even attempt it if you dont know a good deal about computers.

But still even with the price of an alienware its way worth it. If you could tell us maby a price range that would be very helpful.

Well, if you read the news, Dell bought Alien Ware. That means, "Don't buy me!" :D

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146435.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:48 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

mogster500 wrote:
Well, if you read the news, Dell bought Alien Ware. That means, "Don't buy me!" :D

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6146435.html

I don't understand why people think Dells are a piece of crap. My dad has had his Dell for 6 (going on 7) years, and the only major problems we had with it were the hard drive needing to be replaced (that was 1 or 2 years ago), and the OS (it came shipped with ME >_<).

The acquisition of Alienware by Dell I think is good, because now Dell will be selling computers with AMD chips. Intel is a piece of crap, and now the only major computer brand that sells Intel-only computers is Apple.

Plus, Alienware is going to stay a "wholly-owned subsidary", which means it will operate SEPARATELY from Dell.

Speculation Central - Thinking about the future... Today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:35 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Dragonfire wrote:
Intel is a piece of crap, and now the only major computer brand that sells Intel-only computers is Apple.

iBooks, Powerbooks & Power Macs still use PowerPC.

kudos sasha+gregory // PPT's Unofficial President

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next