Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Laptops
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:38 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ok, i'm gonna be getting a laptop within the next month or so, and i was wondering if anyone had any they knew i should avoid, or any they could recommend? or what i should be looking out for? Just general advice really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:26 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Racheh, you want this for uni as well, right?

If you want, I can talk to my dad (who works with computers). He says he's good at spending other people's money XD But he's giving my cousin advice soon about buying a laptop for uni, and so should be able to help out.

I'd wait until the end of Jan to buy one, personally, as that's when the "back to school" specials come out. Officeworks and smurf Smith Powerhouse (don't know if you have those over in WA, just assuming you do) are good places to look around that time. You're probably looking at ~$1200 at least for a decent on, I believe.

Gone, forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:09 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Thanks hun, i'm off to work in a bit so cant type up what i've found so far, but if you could run by what i've found with your dad at some point that would be super!

Also, if i can get a better price by waiting until i get to Melbourne i'm happy to do that. i dont need it until i get to melbourne anyway as i'm getting one because i'm too lazy to move this computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:44 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

A Mac is always a good option, but if your one of those annoying folk who believes anything other than Windows to be inferior junk, then convincing you would be difficult. :D (And if you're on a wireless network, it's really nice.)

The best, of course, would be Linux, but I'm assuming you don't devote your life to complete knowledge of computers, so it's robably out of the question. If you know how to best use it, it's actually a good idea, but most people don't.

Therefore, for many, Windows is a good option; but don't get Vista. Until AT LEAST SP1, don't even think about Vista. There's too many kinks to work out. Whatever you get, whether 2000 (still a good option, if you're using SP4) or XP, don't use the basic version- use Professional. The advantages are too numerous to list.

Hardware! Make sure the lappy has at least 1 GB of RAM, and if you plan on eventually using Vista, consider 2 GB. Make sure the processor is relatively new: Intel and AMD both have high-quality 2 layer processors. (Unfortunately, as far as I know, Intel Quad Core isn't available for regular laptops; only servers use it.) Make sure it has a relatively large hard drive; obviously, portable hard drives partially remove this need, but it's more convenient to just start out well. Make sure it has a DVD-RW drive, capable of reading and writing to all media. Find out what spped the rest of the network you're on is running at: if it's a T1 link, make sure the laptop's NIC (Network interface card) isn't stuck at 10Base T. Make sure it has at least one PCMCIA slot, and plenty of USB and FireWire ports.

If it's in you price range, buy a laptop by Alienware. And one for me, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:51 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

I just got a Mac laptop (a MacBook) a month or two ago, and I really love it.

<boring mac rambling>

As Tested said, if you don't like using Macs, then it probably wouldn't be a good option for you... and it can also be a bit inconvenient if you've already bought expensive software for Windows (eg. Photoshop) or have lots of games you want to play. For me, though, I've found Mac OS X just as easy and friendly to use as Windows XP ... and in fact I think I enjoy it more, because there lots of nice little "apps" to do everything you want to do (eg. Adium for multi-protocol chatting) that are often better and a lot prettier than the Windows equivalents ;) Dashboard widgets are fun too!

From what I've seen, Mac laptops last really well too. My boyfriend had an old Powerbook that was 3-4+ years old, and it was still running rather good. They have their own issues, sure, but the overall quality tends to be a bit better I think (my old laptop, my sister's Asus and my mum's Dell all seem very "bitsy" in comparison to macs - the plastic casing seems to break off more easily, for instance).

</end boring mac rambling>

In general... I guess it's good to buy as much RAM as you can afford. I don't think it's as easy to upgrade RAM in laptops as it is in desktop PCs, and you'll almost certainly need as much as you can get in a couplea years.

I don't think lots of hard drive space is quite as critical (though of course more is better!). It's the kind of thing that's going up exponentially at the moment... and if you're planning on storing lots of videos or games or music, it might be better value to buy an external hard drive in a year or two.

Nyum nyum nyum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:16 am 
PPT God
PPT God

If you can, stay away from the pre-built notebooks you find in retail stores, for obvious reasons. As for brands, I've personally had bad experiences with HP and Compaq notebooks. I currently have a Dell Inspiron E1505, and so far I've had no problems, and I've had it for about 7 months. Dell notebooks are usually made great.

I also suggest a MacBook. I've used Apple notebooks before, and as the others said they're great. I would've gotten a MacBook myself if I didn't have a bunch of Windows software already.

For specs, 1 GB of RAM is probably the minimum amount you should get. And for a hard drive, less than 100 GB is good for now. Mine is 80 GB, and I'm almost ready to upgrade to a bigger size. Of course, it depends on what you're going to use the space for.

Oh, and even with a notebook, a flash drive with copies of your coursework on it is EXTREMELY beneficial in case you need to go to the library but for whateve rreason can't/forgot to take your notebook with you.

Speculation Central - Thinking about the future... Today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:45 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Thanks for the comments guys.

I did consider getting a Mac, because i wrote my dissertation on the Mac's at uni and got to know how it all works then and its actually not that bad, and i'd heard good things about macbooks. But then i realised i'd have to buy software again. I have PSP, Office, and The Sims 2 (with lots of add-ons) which i'd really want to install, so would have to buy again. If it wasnt for that, if it were possible to install pc games/software onto a mac i would be seriously looking at getting a mac, but i cant afford the laptop AND replacing all my software.

I'd already been warned about Vista, and was happy to stick with XP.

I'm not too bothered about HDD space, as i got a 300GB external hard drive for christmas! so all my videos and stuff can live on there, i just need enough space for my documents and programs.

I have a list of stuff i need to make sure the lap top has (at least)
~ 1.6 GHz Processor
~ 1GB Ram
~ onboard sound/video card with at least 128MB video memory
~ Decent battery lifespan (3hrs)
~ 80GB Hard Drive
~ Wireless Card & Ethernet Port
~ DVD RW

I also am looking out for:
~ Positioning of USB Points (and how many - at least 4)
~ speaker jack

Can anyone improve on that list?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:53 am 
PPT God
PPT God

mazil wrote:
eg. Adium for multi-protocol chatting

Kind of off topic... but there is something like that for windows. Well, really for linux, but you can get it for windows too. http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

<3 Laq

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:45 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Rachel wrote:
I'm not too bothered about HDD space, as i got a 300GB external hard drive for christmas! so all my videos and stuff can live on there, i just need enough space for my documents and programs.

I'm now incredibly jealous. (Actually, I really want a 1 TB external. That would be awesome.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:54 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Rachel wrote:
If it wasnt for that, if it were possible to install pc games/software onto a mac i would be seriously looking at getting a mac, but i cant afford the laptop AND replacing all my software.

Actually, I forgot to mention it... but another good point of the new Macbooks - and specifically, the new Intel processors that come in them - is that you can actually run both Windows and Mac OS X on them at the same time! It's not quite as convenient as having an actual Windows computer (and takes up some extra hard drive space), but... it's just another option :) My flatmate does it, and it seems pretty good.

pipsqueeek wrote:
mazil wrote:
eg. Adium for multi-protocol chatting

Kind of off topic... but there is something like that for windows. Well, really for linux, but you can get it for windows too. http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

Yeah, I've heard of that! And I've also used Trillian for a while too. Adium's really pretty though <3 Or... the prettiest I've seen so far, anyway! (screenie)

Nyum nyum nyum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:42 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

mazil wrote:
Rachel wrote:
If it wasnt for that, if it were possible to install pc games/software onto a mac i would be seriously looking at getting a mac, but i cant afford the laptop AND replacing all my software.

Actually, I forgot to mention it... but another good point of the new Macbooks - and specifically, the new Intel processors that come in them - is that you can actually run both Windows and Mac OS X on them at the same time! It's not quite as convenient as having an actual Windows computer (and takes up some extra hard drive space), but... it's just another option :) My flatmate does it, and it seems pretty good.

Oooh, wow that looks pretty good! But Macs are still pretty expensive, and i'm not sure it's worth it.

What i've found so far are these two (prices are Australian Dollars)

This one by Asus, which they're selling for $1550 in JB HIFI if i get the memory upgraded to 1GB.

Or, this one by Sony, which is $1899 with 512 Memory, $2028 with 1GB memory, or $2128 with 1.5GB memory. The main reason i like it is because its pink... (or green), and i really like the idea of having a laptop thats not boring and grey... BUT it doesnt have separate video memory (which i dont entirely understand, but i've been told is better) and only has 2 USB points, not 4. It's also smaller, and i'm not sure if thats a good or bad thing, it makes it more portable and stuff, but obviously the screen is then smaller.

Does anyone know anything about either of those?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]