Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Return of Dr Sloth [Split 6]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:24 am 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

ELiPteK wrote:
HINT3:
I hope you like linear algebra!

We're not allowed to write up a program, and I don't see how one can solve a bunch of simultaneous modular equations by hand... There are too many possible right-hand-sides (something like 2^number of symbols for 2-modifier problems, and 3^number of symbols for 3-modifier problems). It's probably a lot more work for the 2-modifier problems (solve for 64 right-hand-sides, vs. just trying the 380 combinations by brute force), and the 3-modifier ones (6561 possible right-hand-sides vs 24360 combinations by brute force).

Maybe I'm missing an optimization somewhere?

[edit] Okay, I just saw ELiPteK's 'guide' - but this hint was very very misleading...
[edit] fixed the numbers above...

~Habitual over-analyzer

Last edited by AySz88 on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:33 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

This has probably been mentioned already, but should be noted in the first post: you only need to solve one of the 3 mod without the O shape in order to unlock the 3 mods with the O shape. After that, you only need to solve the 3 mod with the O shape that gives you a certain Commander Garoo message, sorry I don't remember the specific wording. Anyway, after that you can continue onto the third part. However, you won't be able to go back and finish the other ones later. Sorry if this doesn't make any sense. Hopefully someone can translate it into more sense.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:40 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I'm....just wondering if I should even try getting through the 3 modifier one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:54 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

weirdguy wrote:

If you don't get through it, you won't be able to move on to the next puzzle step.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:58 am 
PPT God
PPT God

weirdguy wrote:

Yes! You can do it! *cheers on enthusiastically*
Everyone here will do their best to help, as usual ;)

Please help my dragons grow and give a click!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:05 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Finally finished my C based chart if anyone wants to see it (it's for the 3 modifier with the O):
http://www.neopets.com/~Butterfly_44785

Now just to finish decoding...lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:14 am 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

angisfab wrote:
Yep, you can eliminate guards by moving onto their space...you have to make sure they are facing the opposite direction, though.

And hey, ELiPteK: If that's true, that's pretty significant and worth adding to the guide post for this thread. :) Could you explain?

Didn't matter what way they were facing, as long as they moved to the space next to you. If you were creeping up on them however, that's true. I preferred to let them come to me and take them out in the last puzzle until there was only one left, then snuck around the back way to the family.

Act my age? I am too young to be THAT old!
Member: NTWF (Neopian Times Writer's Forum)
http://ntwriters.proboards.com/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:20 am 
PPT God
PPT God

patjade wrote:
Didn't matter what way they were facing, as long as they moved to the space next to you.

Thats what I meant...they just can't be facing you for their last move, or they'd spot you.

Please help my dragons grow and give a click!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:49 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

The last one with the nine guards was easy. I only had to do it twice.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:50 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Only 3 messages left to decode, though it's going to have to wait until after school tomorrow... (*sigh* ;)) Though of course by then I'll have a good many pages to catch up on...lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:57 am 

Quote:
Okay, when you get the start up screen, click in it and type 4 using the numbers above the letters on keyboard, not the numbers on the keypad. You will get "invalid entry" and a set of numbers to choose from--type 2. This will bring up 20 encrypted message lines. Start at the top and check to see if the message is a one, two, or three modifier (lines you need to drag into box). Start with the one modifier messages and go through process of elimination as to which line of code is the correct one. After all the one modifiers are done, start on the two modifier messages. You can either go through entirely by elimination (1&2, 1&3, etc.) or you can use the code help sites that show the combinations that will bring a symbol in the key to the symbol in the results line and do elimination from there. After you have finished all the two modifiers, start in on the three modifiers that *DO NOT* say incomplete data. As you solve the three modifiers the ones with incomplete data will get the data needed to be solved.

Tell me, why I started with the three modifiers that DID say incomplete data and have been putting in codes from help sites for hours? How frustrating.. x.x;; This tip was really helpful when I actually looked at it. xD;; Thanks!~

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:23 am 

I'm so geeked out right now ... Tuesday night I spent 20 minutes blowing thru the 1 and 2 mods ... no problem I thought, then came those dreaded 3 mods ... 2 1/2 days on one stupid problem (even left work early today, just to work on my codes some more) ... was just about to give up and say the heck with this plot when PRESTO ... solved my first 3 mod ...

I was so pumped up at that point, that I had to try another ...
*thinking that at this rate it'll take me a few weeks to get my "shuttle" message*

BUT WAIT A MINUTE ... WHAT IS THIS !!! ... the first codes that I plug in solves my second 3 mod

WOOOOOOOOOOT !!!!!!!!!

and guess what my message is ????!!!

belly up to the bar peeps, this round is on me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:54 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

My head was melting facing the 3 mods with 0. I was scared I might need paper and I've resisted that ever since I didn't map my temple. Then I just put my head down, used a key, and went back to plugging away. Then I realised that if you do it this way, there aren't many combinations to try. It just looks really intimidating. True, my Garoo message was the first one I did, but my point is, don't give up. It looks worse that it is. If it were meant to drive us crazy, they would have given us more than 2 days to do it. These plots really are worth finishing. Not only do you get the prizes, but you also feel really really good about yourself when you reach the other side.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:00 am 

Oh, I hope we get a huge mapping quest at some point in this plot. That would be too cool.

IDB Rater, Pink Inker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:08 am 

I just cant do these 3 mod ones. I think i am just going to give up. :x

Image[img][url=http://www.elementsgraphics.net/index.php?id=eggs]Imagehttp://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/o919a.gif[/img][/url]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next