Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:57 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I'll let you know now, I'm obsessed with the Dtresden Dolls. They can take anything and make it beautiful.

Amanda Palmer: piano and volcals
Brian Viglione: drums

It's called punk cabaret but that's not meant as an actual genre. Punk for the raw energy, cabaret for the theatrics. I'd give anything to see them live. All the dancers, living statues, fire breathers, etc. etc. some of which I know, other's I don't.

I'd say listen to everything but there's always the classics:

-Bad Habit
-The Girl Anachronism
-Good Day
-Half Jack
-Missed Me
-Coin-Operated Boy

Though it's The Perfect Fit that seems to grab most new fans.

http://www.dresdendolls.com/ is their beautiful website.[/url]

-Amber

"You can be a starving artist, or an artist who isn't starving, but the worst thing for people like us to be is a well fed non-artist."

Last edited by bone garden on Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:36 am 
PPT God
PPT God

coming2atvnearu wrote:
Xil wrote:
I have the urge to mention Tegan and Sarah, Xiu Xiu, and Mad Caddies.

I will whole-heartedly and unequivocally second the support of Tegan and Sarah.

Tegan and Sara! No H!

(Sorry, pet peeve. They're great. :])

Any posts made from this username after midnight PST and before I sleep for ten hours are not guaranteed to make sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:37 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

bone garden wrote:
I'll let you know now, I'm obsessed with the Dtresden Dolls. They can take anything and make it beautiful.

Brian Vilgomer (that's not his last name, but it's somehting like that): drums

It's called punk cabaret but that's not meant as an actual genre. Ounk for the raw energy, cabaret for the theatrics. I'd give anything to see them live. All the dancers, living statues, fire breathers, etc. etc. some of which I know, other's I don't.

-Bad Habit
-The Girl Anachronism
-Good Day
-Half Jack
-Missed Me
-Coin-Operated Boy

*Viglione
If you can, be sure to pick up A Is For Accident, their first EP, which is equally amazing as the album.

My favorite Dresden songs are The Jeep Song and Christopher Lydon ^^

The Dolls are amazing live, my friends and I juggled during The Brigade preshow, and got nothing but Chick gospel tracts in our tip jar :P Brian and Amanda came out dressed up as Jack and Meg White for the show (Brian was Meg, Amanda was Jack)

The DVD isn't so bad either, though if you go to a show, be sure to go at least an hour early to catch The Brigade.

And in the tradition of suggesting: The Flaming Lips (especially the new single, The Wand)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:39 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

halfbakedbliss wrote:
bone garden wrote:

Brian Vilgomer (that's not his last name, but it's somehting like that): drums

It's called punk cabaret but that's not meant as an actual genre. Ounk for the raw energy, cabaret for the theatrics. I'd give anything to see them live. All the dancers, living statues, fire breathers, etc. etc. some of which I know, other's I don't.

-Bad Habit
-The Girl Anachronism
-Good Day
-Half Jack
-Missed Me
-Coin-Operated Boy

*Viglione
If you can, be sure to pick up A Is For Accident, their first EP, which is equally amazing as the album.

My favorite Dresden songs are The Jeep Song and Christopher Lydon ^^

The Dolls are amazing live, my friends and I juggled during The Brigade preshow, and got nothing but Chick gospel tracts in our tip jar :P Brian and Amanda came out dressed up as Jack and Meg White for the show (Brian was Meg, Amanda was Jack)

The DVD isn't so bad either, though if you go to a show, be sure to go at least an hour early to catch The Brigade.

And in the tradition of suggesting: The Flaming Lips (especially the new single, The Wand)

You got to go to a show? :D:D:D You're -so- lucky. I'm still hoping they'll come around here.

Do you by any chance post in The Shadowbox (forum about the Dolls)? Alot of Brigaders and other's post there, and other fans. When I discover some great talent I want to become a Brigader. ;)

-Amber

"You can be a starving artist, or an artist who isn't starving, but the worst thing for people like us to be is a well fed non-artist."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:33 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'm not a member, but probably will join up soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:59 am 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

halfbakedbliss wrote:
I'm not a member, but probably will join up soon.

Well if you do and care to chat, my name there is bone_garden

All right people, you may go on now. Sorry to have interupted your boad so. :P

-Amber

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:27 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

If you can find anything by them, you should check out The Boston Post. They'll always be one of my favorite bands - awesome music.

signature by blueZ! Much love!
Goal: Candychan | Status: Completed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:50 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Michael Cerveris.

He's pretty famous as an actor (right now he's in Sweeney Todd on Broadway - awesome!) but he also has an album out called Dog Eared. It's rock, mostly slow stuff, somewhat downbeat and really good. The music reminds me a bit of Elliott Smith.

And come to think of it, if you've never listened to any of Smith's stuff, go get it. Now. He is (was) an absolutely brilliant musician.

Both are available at the iTunes music store, though Cerveris' is only a partial album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:05 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

Julien-K.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am obsessed with Julien-K (and Orgy, for that matter), and for good reason. They have kind of electronic music. It's very good music, and I suggest you check them out.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 305 character limit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:04 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Jesse Cook

A friend introduced me to his music, and it's amazing! Instrumental music that is a combination of every type of music I can think of, it's latin...yet makes you wanna bellydance, or just dance around wildly. Listening to any of his songs makes me wanna dance in the middle of my street :P

Awesome Set by DM!! :D

:) Neo44392 on Neopets^_^ Neomail me for neopets premium invites :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:27 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

The Sundays

Haha, this band makes me so excited. I was basically raised on them when I was little, but I hadn't listened to them in about thirteen years. So anyway, the other night my school had a "Night of Worship" and our praise and worship band played.. and I sing in it. Well, anyway, my parents came and said our vocals sounded kind of like The Sundays, and that night he pulled out their CDs and gave them to me. It was so weird, because not only did we sound kind of like them, but I realized how much I LOVED their music. It's kinda cool how the things that you grew up on can influence you without you even realizing it.

So anyway, they're British. From the late 80's/early 90's. I don't think they'll ever release another album, but who knows. I've seen them compared to The Smiths (musically) and Eisley (vocally). Harriet Wheeler truly has one of the most amazing voices I have ever heard. Extremely unique. And the music, just in general, seems to me quite ahead of its time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:08 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

THE ACADEMY IS ...

A band from Chicago who were "discovered" by the bassist from Fall Out boy. [ :roll: ] They've been touring non-stop the past couple of years and just recently came out with a new EP that is now out on iTunes.
Check Out:
Almost Here

They'll be touring on this years Warped Tour once more, aswell.

HOT HOT HEAT

Just purely amazing.
Check Out:
Make up the Breakdown
Elavator

KILL HANNAH

Another band from Chicago. Visit: http://www.killhannah.com for their music, bio, photos, etc.

Also checkout:
We Are Scientists
Kasabian
OK GO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:06 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Xil wrote:
I have the urge to mention Tegan and Sarah, Xiu Xiu, and Mad Caddies.

Please do mention Mad Caddies!

Other bands I want to mention that haven't been yet:

Finch - I just went to their webiste and apparently they're "taking a break", which really sucks. I like their first CD better than the second one. It sounds more like "what it is to burn"

Jethro Tull - My dad listened to them in college. But they have a lead flute player and interesting lyrics. So now I listen to them.

Straylight Run - Includes some former members of Taking Back Sunday. They have songs here.

Desaparecidos - Conor Oberst's other project. They haven't had a CD out since 2002 but they still sound good.

I could list others... But I don't have that much time.

edit: Straylight Run is signed to Victory Records. And apparently going on tour with Simple Plan this fall. And they're in Omaha tomorrow. Which is about four hous away from me. I wish I'd known sooner.

It's a smart duck....watch it do math..........o.0

Last edited by Smart Duck on Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:20 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Smart Duck wrote:
Finch - I just went to their webiste and apparently they're "taking a break", which really sucks. I like their first CD better than the second one. It sounds more like "what it is to burn"

Their taking a break!? :o
I understand why they probably are though, so hopefully they come back out soon with something amazing, once more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:51 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Sufjan Stevens

Hahaha, I love this guy. He's so weird, but in such an awesome way. His music is totally unlike anything I've ever heard. When my boyfriend first played "Come On! Feel the Illinoise!" for me, I was completely taken aback. I wasn't sure what to think until I actually bought the CD (Illinois) and sat and listened to every single track. Sufjan is amazingly talented and his songs are very well-crafted. C'mon, any guy with a name like Sufjan who plays the banjo and oboe and writes songs called things like "They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back from the Dead!! Ahhhh!" has got to be pretty darn cool. I'm sorry I don't have any real way to describe his music.. but I just don't even know where to begin. It's very mellow for the most part. And just fun? Yeah.

Songs to check out: Concerning the UFO Sighting near Highland, Illinois; Come On! Feel the Illinoise!; Chicago; Casimir Pulaski Day; and The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades Is Out To Get Us!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next