Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Thu Oct 03, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:26 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

*hugs* Eeek...this sounds scary...

People used to prank call me all the time...once someone pretended to be my best friend and asked if I wanted to come over and engage in...acts unfit for mention on PPT. I told the police about it, but they refused to do anything because there wasn't enough evidence against the people who I was almost certain did it :(

Anyway, try doing what Shapu suggested. I hope this works out for you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:07 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

O.o Odd.

I was going to suggest that maybe people accidently called. My number's the first in most people's mobiles, since it starts with "Al", and I've had my fair share of accidental calls. But reading over the thread, I doubt that's happening.

Go with what shapu said. It seems to be the best option.

Gone, forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:19 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The prank callers here are incredibly creative.
I've got about 4 on my call register on my mobile.
2 of them didn't withhold their numbers *facepalm*. Can't be bothered to ring back though.
And they always jsut wait til I answer, then hang up. Ooh, quaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:25 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Someone pranked me once, but was waiting for me to freak out and hang up. I didn't. I just left the phone on my desk while I went outside, with them paying for the call. I think it ended up being about 25 minutes before I gave up and ended the call - I needed to call my friend :P

Gone, forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:52 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: Set by DM was on Fire! 2nd place in my set contest.:)
I have received prank phone calls in the past and as they came through to my mobile the phone company claimed there was nothing they could do! but I just used to answer the phone without saying any thing, if it is a genuine caller they will say something. If after a few seconds there is nothing or if you are sure it is the prank caller, just put the receiver down on a table or something go off and do something else, after about 5 minutes just put the receiver back on the cradle or turn your phone off without seeing if anyone is still on the line. Its their phone bill that they are wasting and they want to provoke you, but if you dont give them the satisfaction of getting upset or angry then they will soon give up.

Unfortunately alot of phone companies and police services dont see 'prank' phone calls as a real threat unless the caller is particularly threatening or abusive, many dismiss it as kids playing around. But anyone who has received them will know that they can be very intimidating, particularly if you are on your own at the time of receiving them.

Im sorry you and your family have been put through this, hopefully it will be resolved soon. Dont let it get you down though!

(sorry for the long message!!!:P)

ImageImage

TGSET: http://www.pinkpt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13685

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:25 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

xjox wrote:
I have received prank phone calls in the past and as they came through to my mobile the phone company claimed there was nothing they could do! but I just used to answer the phone without saying any thing, if it is a genuine caller they will say something. If after a few seconds there is nothing or if you are sure it is the prank caller, just put the receiver down on a table or something go off and do something else, after about 5 minutes just put the receiver back on the cradle or turn your phone off without seeing if anyone is still on the line. Its their phone bill that they are wasting and they want to provoke you, but if you dont give them the satisfaction of getting upset or angry then they will soon give up.

Unfortunately alot of phone companies and police services dont see 'prank' phone calls as a real threat unless the caller is particularly threatening or abusive, many dismiss it as kids playing around. But anyone who has received them will know that they can be very intimidating, particularly if you are on your own at the time of receiving them.

Im sorry you and your family have been put through this, hopefully it will be resolved soon. Dont let it get you down though!

(sorry for the long message!!!:P)

I'm not sure if I should pick up the phone because if I do, than they'll call even more.

Anywho, they have called only once this morning and when the answering machine turned on, you could hear a television movie playing but they didn't leave a message.

Is this a sign that they are getting annoyed we aren't picking up?

Set by Medli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:51 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

With the music or Tv on in the background, they may just dial you number and leave the phone beside the TV or boom box. That would be why when the machine picks up the prank caller doesn't pick up. I would seriously try the police again. Make it clear that you believe this is a case of religious discrimination. They can't legally ignore you then.

I'm finally back for the summer, although hopefully I'll spend a little more time away from this screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:25 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Location: Set by DM was on Fire! 2nd place in my set contest.:)
Keep a log of when they call and if you can keep the recordings from the answer phone, sometimes the police and phone companies need a kick up the you know what to do anything. In the UK we have something called the Citizens Advice Bureau who are fantastic at dealing with situations such as this, if you have a similar thing near you then it would be worth taking a log and any recordings into them along with details of people you have already spoken to about it.

ImageImage

TGSET: http://www.pinkpt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13685

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:05 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Well I read through the thread and I think many of the suggestions are good ones. If all else fails you could always consider changing your phone number and making it unlisted. Of course thats rather drastic and would probably be a last resort (at least at my house it would be).

Of course I also have a relative who had trouble with prank calls. She got one of those voice thing that alters her voice. It makes her sound like a sick elephant when she picks up the phone. :o The good thing is it scares away prank callers, and anyone who really wants to talk to her would say hi and identify themselves so she'll turn it off. Comes in quite handy, but it can give you quite a scare if you aren't suspecting it.

Set by Moogie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:47 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Kurisutaru wrote:
Well I read through the thread and I think many of the suggestions are good ones. If all else fails you could always consider changing your phone number and making it unlisted. Of course thats rather drastic and would probably be a last resort (at least at my house it would be).

If you do end up going that route, it's generally recommended that you leave the original line connected to an answering machine, and only give your real number to a very select number of people. It is very possible for people to easily get a hold of unlisted numbers (as I sadly know), and disconnecting the line that the person calling you has more often makes them try harder rather than discouraging them.

I'm not sure what your local laws are on recording conversations, but you may want to look into that as an option as well. Some areas allow you to do it so long as one person on the call (you) knows it's being done, but others require both people to be aware of the recording. As an alternative, you can also just say "Operator, this is the call," and hang up (similar to a previous suggestion). That often freaks people into giving up.

Also, just so it's clear (since I've heard people be concerned about this), having a trap put on your line does not mean that your calls are monitored in any way; it really just means that the phone company is logging the numbers that call you. That's why you have to keep a log -- it's all that allows them to match the correct number(s) to the harassing calls. Do be aware, though, that the phone company isn't generally allowed to release the number(s) that are harassing you to you or your family, but they will give all necessary information to law enforcement. Even without a trap in place, though, it does help to keep a log of what times the calls are received... the police tend to take your complaints more seriously when you're organized and have lots of paper things with dates and times and all to give them (sad, but very true).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:10 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

My phone has an option where you can stop your number being shown automaticly, so random people cant get your number if you accidently call a wrong number. Once I'm done with my phone I usually just chuck it on the bed, and when it comes to bedtime, I forget its there and usually knock it with my foot and call someone. Usually its my uncle for some odd reason o.O.

Maybe a family member of yours is as clumsy as me? Considering all your family are muslim and have your number on their phone o.O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:47 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Destiny wrote:
Maybe a family member of yours is as clumsy as me? Considering all your family are muslim and have your number on their phone o.O.

All my family live in various places around the world (Alberta, Denmark, Texas). This is a local call.

Thanks for the help Ico, Destiny and everyone else, I really appreciate it. But it seems that the prank callers have stopped. They have called once yesterday and zero times today. The only way I know that they've officially stopped is if they don't call over the weekend.

Set by Medli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:51 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Wow, that's really awful what's happened. I really hope they have stopped, so you and your family can stop worrying about it.

Best of luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:26 pm 

I used to have that problem too, where someone would call and do the "You kicked my Dog" conversation. A few days later I get the call and I answer while I'm crossing the street, and I see this russian elementary school boy saying the exact same thing into his phone. I pull him over, slap him over the head, and walk away. In your case its harder, but what you should do is record the calls(date, day etc) and use like a recorder to show how every call is made. Then you could report it to your phone company. That sometimes works. Then you have actual evidence.

Or you could bring your answering machine to the police :P . Thats Hard evidence.

A friend hosts this sig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:35 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Tsumego wrote:
I used to have that problem too, where someone would call and do the "You kicked my Dog" conversation. A few days later I get the call and I answer while I'm crossing the street, and I see this russian elementary school boy saying the exact same thing into his phone. I pull him over, slap him over the head, and walk away. In your case its harder, but what you should do is record the calls(date, day etc) and use like a recorder to show how every call is made. Then you could report it to your phone company. That sometimes works. Then you have actual evidence.

Or you could bring your answering machine to the police :P . Thats Hard evidence.

I was thinking of keeping a log as everyone has said but the pranksters haven't called since yesterday morning. However, someone just called and my brother picked up but they hung up. It said 'UNKNOWN NAME, PHONE NUMBER'. The phone number was displayed therefore if it was them, we will be able to call that house and if it wasn't them, the house can simply say "No," or "Yes it was. Sorry". Or what not.

Set by Medli

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next