Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Windows problems
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:15 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

It all started when I tried to install Windows Service Pack 2 - and went downhill from there.

You see, I wished to explore the new IE Beta 7, but needed SP2 (unaware I did not have), so, I tried to download it, but some errors cropped up. No worries, I thought, I'll just get it off another site, so I did.

Firstly - the installation froze, so I restarted my computer. It was installed, but, Automatic Updates would not work (and still have not), if I try, I get a Not Responding error - leaving it for, say, an hour, does no good.

Then, my biggest problem, whenever, say, I open Live Messenger, close a window, open one, someone talks to me, or I open IE7, I get this rather annoying error message:

What could I do to remedy my situation?

Thanks, Tom.

Click the wonderful signature. You know you want to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:27 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Reinstall SP2, if the installation froze some files may have not been copied over correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:24 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I'll try it - but I think this came up when I had IE7 installation and such on my desktop, no SP2, nothing had been installed.

I thought SP2 would fix it, but obviously hasn't. I will try again, though. I'll update later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:39 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Pixa wrote:
I'll try it - but I think this came up when I had IE7 installation and such on my desktop, no SP2, nothing had been installed.

I thought SP2 would fix it, but obviously hasn't. I will try again, though. I'll update later.

Try reinstalling IE7 as well. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:22 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Pixa

Try uninstalling IE7. I've read on the microsoft forums that some people have had problems getting it to uninstall, so just be aware of that.

Then, once you've uninstalled that, try using CCleaner - scan for Issues just to get any pesky little bits and pieces that may still be floating around on the computer. Reboot. Then install SP2. If you have the disc for that and if you have XP SP1 you could try slipstreaming the discs into one - but that means reinstalling - which means you could lose everything - which means big time backups.

Anyway, once you get SP2 installed, go to windows update, get the latest updates, reboot then try the IE7.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:06 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Okay - things have gone pearshaped. I uninstalled SP2, it was okay, nothing fixed, but PC still worked, then I uninstalled IE7.

Now, when I log in I get the message:
Quote:
Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Quote:
Error Signature:
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: kernel32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.1106 Offset: 0001b62f

Okay, taskbar isn't there, icons gone. I've only got here through Windows Task Manager. Everything is still there, but I can't get to any of it... basically, explorer.exe has crashed, it won't open, and now I can't do anything much.

I'd think about doing a factory restore - if all my files that I wanted were safe, and I could keep them on the network I share with my brother, but I can't open any folders.

Can anyone help dig me out of this seeming deeper hole?
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:57 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

You might want to just call Microsoft Support as they are usually helpful and know what they are doing. Or Geek Squad...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:19 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Well, after about 10 attempts, I finally fixed it (my PC kept randomly shutting down). I had to go through Task Manager and re-install SP2. Everything seems to be okay now. At least I hope it is.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]