Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:53 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Igg wrote:
I have every right to say he's a hamfisted slipshod writer; because he can't write. His other work I have not read all the way through, but they follow much the same pattern as the Da Vinci code.

Or do you think the other 3 are good and The Da Vinci Code is crap? Nope, you think they're all good.

Because ya know... a few million people around the world are just so wrong about him. If you don't like him, don't like him, but to be honest, i'm getting a bit tired of listening to people rip him apart for his books.
If some people like it, let them like it, I don't see any reason for insulting the books and upsetting people.

Anyways. The book with the pictures in it is a good idea, for those who don't know what the pictures are. I know what the basic outlines of the paintings, monuments... etc... are in the books, but I can't put details on it. So. The illustrated is neat, i've seen it at Costco; maybe i'll badger my dad to buy it for my mom....

(I really mean, buy it for me!)

Evisceration is a sign of respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:51 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

I have read all four books and I liked them all. None of them are one of my favorites but I enjoyed reading them. I read them all last year. The Da Vinci Code really kept me occupied on a long plane flight. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:37 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

I believe Igg and myself, had this very argument, some time ago. Funny how it has arisen again.

I have read all four of Dan Browns work, and must agree that they are good in parts. But I do find them terrible similar, but as with any writer, they have a formula that works, and they stick to it.

However I have to agree with Igg, in the fact that the books are badly written, but I also hold this opinion of the Pullman series, (which I think is even worse), Brown is an excellent suspense writer, and sets a wonderful scene, but as someone said earlier, once you have read one or two, you realise the forumla, and can usually unravel the book before the end.

Also I hear alot of talk of Robert Langdon, but the guy is supposed to be a world renowned symbologist, yet I worked out the twists and answers to the questions, 3 or 4 chapters, before Langdon.

Brown has some excellent ideas within his books, but they sometimes lack something. All in all, Brown is an good literatist, as everyone discusses his books with differing views, and that is a compliment to any author.

Personally I will read a Dan Brown book with vigour, whereas Igg would read a Pullman book with viguor, different people like different things, thats life. As for shouting at someone because they have expressed an opinion, even if the opinion was not very well expressed is not acceptable.

Igg you know the drill. Brown rules, and Pullman drools. :roflol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:08 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

I've read all of his books and think all of them are fabulous. Currently awaiting the new Langdon book less than patiently. I will be one of those that immediantly runs to the bookstore and gets it the day it comes out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:53 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Alright jan me dear. See, we can get along despite differing opinions on authors. Even if he is a cheeky mong.

Inrun, I am entitled to express my opinion on an author, be it negative or positive.
Don't use the 'millions of people are so wrong' line because millions of people can be wrong about things. There are millions of smokers in the world, doesn't make taking up smoking all that bright an idea. There are also millions of drug addicts. You see?

But it shouldn't come to that anyway, because when it comes to discussing authors right and wrong doesn't come into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:59 pm 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

Igg wrote:
Alright jan me dear. See, we can get along despite differing opinions on authors. Even if he is a cheeky mong.

Inrun, I am entitled to express my opinion on an author, be it negative or positive.
Don't use the 'millions of people are so wrong' line because millions of people can be wrong about things. There are millions of smokers in the world, doesn't make taking up smoking all that bright an idea. There are also millions of drug addicts. You see?

But it shouldn't come to that anyway, because when it comes to discussing authors right and wrong doesn't come into it.

If your going for the millions of people line, I would go with the one about the world being flat, and not round. Much better analogy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:00 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Igg wrote:
Qanda wrote:
Igg wrote:
I have every right to say he's a hamfisted slipshod writer; because he can't write. His other work I have not read all the way through, but they follow much the same pattern as the Da Vinci code.

Or do you think the other 3 are good and The Da Vinci Code is crap? Nope, you think they're all good.

How are they badly written? Please elaborate?

The style of writing makes me want to weep.

I agree, actually. All fact, almost no characterisation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:13 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

janobi wrote:
Igg wrote:

If your going for the millions of people line, I would go with the one about the world being flat, and not round. Much better analogy.

Aye, true enough. Shush :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:00 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

I read all four. Those pictures in Angels and Demons totally freaked me out. I find his books really interesting, and I'm glad to hear he's writing another one. I'll be sure to pick it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:07 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I've read all of them except Deception Point. Very entertaining. However, I haven't read them repeatedly, and I tend to rate books by how much I reread them.

It's a smart duck....watch it do math..........o.0

Post subject: Hmm.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:02 pm 

I read DaVinci in two very long sittings and was completely satisfied with my experience (version without pictures, from Superstore) as I have studied some art in my music history.

The library's dogearred copy of Angels and Demons some how managed to surface at my house, and although I find that it follows the 'formula' of DaVinci, I couldn't bring myself to finishing it. There was just some magic that wasn't there for me, unfortunately. Over my reading week, I tried forcing myself to read it many times, but maybe I will be more successful in the summer.

After doing an extensive research project on DaVinci in my highschool english class (before publication of novel), I felt slightly cheated when combing through DaVinci Code as a lot of the tricks I already knew about from my research.

Hope the next Langdon is an improvement on Angels. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:47 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I recently read Deception Point, and it was pretty close to Digital Fortress but not the other two. Which were similar.

So now the question is, will his next book follow DF/DP or tDVC/AaD?[/i]

It's a smart duck....watch it do math..........o.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:45 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Smart Duck wrote:
So now the question is, will his next book follow DF/DP or tDVC/AaD?[/i]

Didn't someone say something about the new book being another Langdon one? If it is my assumption would be that it would follow tDVC and AaD again, I can't see Dan Brown who's already written two books with one character decide to all of a sudden change the style (wouldn't the style to some extent define the character?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:55 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: THE HEART OF DARKNESS. *ominous drums* Haha, just kidding, I'm stalking you. :D
Yeah, the next book will be a Langdon one. There's even a guide on it out already, though the author of the guide is just speculating about what the book'll be about.

can't find the sig from this set, so instead, you get a <3 .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:19 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

I hate Dan Brown with a festering passion.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next