Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 29  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:45 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Weremagus? I dunno, just throwing some names.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:06 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

tomatie wrote:
I'm typing this while trying my very best not to read the other posts... I'm only on page 350 or so :oops: I think I already guessed the 'secret' of the Half-Blood Prince... pretty obvious.

Yeah, Snape was the first person I thought of when the Half-Blood Prince was introduced, given how good the HBP apparently was at potions.

I was a litle thrown when I found out how old the book was, though. Didn't see the "book belonged to Snape's mother" thing coming. I can see Snape wanting to identify himself with his mother and her family: besides the fact that they were wizards, given what we found out about Snape's family in OOTP I bet he has Daddy Issues.

I stayed up too late last night reading people's theories on various websites. :-) One point that someone made -- no way I can recall whom at this point -- does anyone seriously think that Snape just had the antidote to the Voldemort's potion lying around his office? Or that Dumbledore expected him to? They made a big point at the beginning of the book that there are posions with no antidotes, after all. Yet Dumbledore was quite insistant on seeing Snape right away when he and Harry returned.

If Dumbledore knew he was already dying from drinking the potion (and for that matter, he could have been dying already from whatever it was that had shrivelled his hand) then certainly he would rather Snape kill him than see Snape die himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:21 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Josephine wrote:
It's not. Snogging is what you call it if you're a) posh, b) 11.

I call it snogging and I'm not posh or 11. I find the term "getting off" crude. :P

It's coming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:30 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I'm crude then 8)

I suppose it varies.

What the hell did happen to Dumbledore's hand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:39 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Good grief I'd forgotten about that! I suppose that we'll never find out...

It's coming...

Post subject:
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Worst HP book so far.

Well, not really. It's still alright. But ugh, definately much worse than the previous two/three.

I mean, sure, it explains a lot more about Voldemort. And I suppose I didn't like it as much thanks to that freaking spoiler. If I ever get my hands on who got their hands on that page, I swear I'll kill them. T_T

Harry and Ginny? Huh? I mean, sure, Ginny did have a crush on him some books ago. But this? It happened to fast in this book. In one chapter Harry is unsure if he likes her or not, they win the Quidditch Cup, and boom, suddenly they're together. Not that it matters, because nothing happens in their relationship. There were more words spent on Cho and Harry.

I can go on, with how it was obvious he'd been using the Vanishing Cabinets from the moment I heard that there were "two" and one was "broken". Or how it was so obvious that Dumbeldore turned out to be another dumb fool for trusting Snape. Everyone knew Snape was evil from book #1. And if you didn't, you would know ever since the chapter where Narcissa and Bella met him to talk about 'his plan'. But I won't.

I guess the main reason I didn't like the book was because it didn't go so in-depth in the wonderful Wizarding world. It was less wizardry, and more of our world. War, treachery, the Wizard world is becoming like the Muggle world.

Quote:

Nothing worth mentioning. He said the ring was protected by numerous spells, hexes, and whatnot. So while trying to get rid of it he probably just got hurt by a spell. Obviously.
Quote:
Dumbledore died. I cried. His funeral was smurfing genius.

His funeral was awful. I mean, the Centaurs, the Merpeople, that's all nice and stuff. Great funeral, lots of people showed up. But to me it just seemed as a way to add a couple of extra pages. And what on earth was Grawp doing there? How is Hagrid even allow to have a giant there? Especially with Rufus and Umbridge present! (And probably other Ministry bigshots)
Quote:
can help destroy Voldemort in the next book

That's a lot of optimism you've got there.
Quote:
HOW MANY TIMES DID SHE REFER TO 'SNOGGING'?

That word seriously scared me. I had no clue what it meant as first, though that wasn't hard to figure out. XD Everything looked so stupid every time she referred to that word. Ugh.

How about this theory on why Snape killed Dumbledore.

He's evil.
Most people who work on different 'theories' as to why he did what he did just can't believe that Snape's a heartless idiot.

Faith is often the boast of the man who is too lazy to investigate. ~ F.M. Knowles

Last edited by Stijn on Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PPT God
PPT God

Josephine wrote:
I'm crude then 8)

I suppose it varies.

It blackened when he tried to get hold of the second horcrux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:42 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

I should pay more attention when I read. Thanks for telling me, anyway.

Woah Stijn... Way to make everyone feel stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:51 pm 
PPT Trainee
PPT Trainee

Josephine wrote:
Woah Stijn... Way to make everyone feel stupid.

What did I say? :P I didn't mean to do any harm. T_T Just giving my honest opinion.

edit: I can't wait for the movie though. Same goes for OotP. Too bad the Order won't be in cinemas until 2007, and this one will probably be 2009/2010. T_T So far away. XD I'll be in my twenties then, watching a movie based on a series of books I started reading when I was 8 years old.

Faith is often the boast of the man who is too lazy to investigate. ~ F.M. Knowles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:36 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

Stijn wrote:
He's evil.

i dont think its quite as simple as him being evil. He's obviously very capable of being a nasty person but i dont think he's evil. When you read the other 5 books JKR has set so much store in love being stronger than evil and the importance of giving people second chances and i dont think she would have such a huge change of heart for this book. I think its entirely plausible that dumbledore told snape to kill him if it came down to having to make the choice between him and snape dying. The arguement harry overhears seems to back that up too.
When you think about it stuff other people have said here makes sense. In the end it will come down to the fact that only Harry can kill Voldemort so DD had to die to allow Harry to be able to do that because up until now he has always had someone who has stepped in to help him and that can't happen in the final 'showdown'. He needs to take responsibility for his own life. Plus snape, regardless of how much he hates him, is much better placed to be of use to harry in locating the horcruxes and ultimately voldemort

probably all gubbins but it seems to make sense to me :lol:

Image set by WIS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:56 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Josephine wrote:

Or c) Scottish. And with Hogwarts being in Scotland and Rowling saying she's an honorary Scot I don't think it's surprising that people were snogging all over the place :D

Also as to why some were snogging while Harry and Ginny were kissing, snogging is a word more used when it's meaningless. If you pull a random then you snog them. If you are with your long term partner then you kiss them. A kiss implies lurve and all that jazz.

I love the theories on this thread and in the lj links, I really do think though that those who insist Snape is just evil are missing a whole lot in the book.

Petpet Central

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:14 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I thought the book was brilliant, but I suppose all of the rabid, baby-eating shippers hated it because some of their "favorite couples" didn't hook up. The fact is, Harry and his friends are now 16 years old. There's bound to be lots of meaningless relationships, lots of making out in empty classrooms, and lots of crappy Christmas gifts that you'd never wear unless somebody put a wand to your head. (Lol, nearly died laughing at the "My Sweetheart" necklace!!!)

Also, it was very clever how JK worked in the diary from CoS, the vanishing closet that the Weasley brothers shoved that Slytherin jerk into, and the Room of Requirement again. I love how every little detail is somehow worked back in to be important.

As for the Harry/Ginny thing, I love how we're seeing more of her. She's very clever and she's really funny. I loved how she was constantly referring to Fleur as "Phlegm". I could honestly see them being together. He's only 1 year older than her. They both love Quidditch. And now, they've faced death together TWICE. Being in such a dangerous situation and relying on one another to survive forms a very strong bond amongst people. Isn't that how Harry, Ron, and Hermione finally started becoming friends? The troll attack?

As for Snape being "just evil", give JK more credit. Her character's are not just flat like that. Weren't you seeing how even Draco is fallable, human, and terrified to live up to the Death Eater's expectations? When Moaning Myrtle mentioned a boy who cried and spoke to her because he was picked on, I thought it had "Neville" written all over it. But lo and behold, it was Draco! Draco, who had lost weight and become deathly pale and malnourished because of all the stress he was under. Even Draco, who has proven himself to be a cold, malicious brat, was unable to kill Dumbledore. We were given insight into his actions. This whole time he's been bullying others to impress his dad. Even his mother, who is a Death Eater who's killed who knows how many, is worried for her son.

When Dumbledore pleaded with Snape, that was the major tip off for me. Dumbledore has NEVER relinquished his emotional control in a situation. He's always remained cool, calm, and collected and very, very brave. I also think that he was pleading with Snape to kill him. This way, Draco would be safe and Voldemort would never doubt Snape's loyalty again. He even used his own life to help someone else.

All in all, I liked this way better than Book 5. I thought it was great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:20 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I think Fidds has just summed the whole thing up for me. Snape being "evil" gives J. K. Rowling much less credit than she deserves. I too think there's more to it than that. I love reading between the lines!

I hope we see more of Trelawny's and Firenze's rivallry in the next book (which we probably won't if Harry leaves Hogwarts). I laughed so much when she called him Dobbin! :roflol: I love the way Rowling manages to throw in humour in a pretty dark piece of writing.

It's coming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:22 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Twinkle wrote:
I think Fidds has just summed the whole thing up for me. Snape being "evil" gives J. K. Rowling much less credit than she deserves. I too think there's more to it than that. I love reading between the lines!

I hope we see more of Trelawny's and Firenze's rivallry in the next book (which we probably won't if Harry leaves Hogwarts). I laughed so much when she called him Dobbin! :roflol: I love the way Rowling manages to throw in humour in a pretty dark piece of writing.

Maybe she'll stagger into his class drunk on cooking sherry and yark on his carpet! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:37 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Trick wrote:
Josephine wrote:

Or c) Scottish. And with Hogwarts being in Scotland and Rowling saying she's an honorary Scot I don't think it's surprising that people were snogging all over the place :D

Also as to why some were snogging while Harry and Ginny were kissing, snogging is a word more used when it's meaningless. If you pull a random then you snog them. If you are with your long term partner then you kiss them. A kiss implies lurve and all that jazz.

Yeah, I know, I was being facetious.

Weed myself laughing at 'the beast inside Harry's chest'. Comedy gold.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 29  Next