Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Recommend a band/artist...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:31 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

...that you think need more recognition.

Picture, brief description, records that you think really need checking out. Help expand the music taste of PPT-ers? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:45 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Ooh, here comes Amethyst with her mad seiyuu (anime voice talent) obsession. And so it begins.

First up on my list, the incomparable Paku Romi! She's only done seven songs (that I know of, if anyone can find more please tell me!), all of them character themes of people she's voice acted. They are as follows:

Ryuuro (Tao Ren, Shaman King)
Muge (Tao Ren, Shaman King)
Jiri (Tao Ren, Shaman King)
Hagane no Kokoro (Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist)
Asu he no Basho (Also known as Ash!ta e no Basho)(Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist)
Returnable Memories (Edward Elric, Fullmetal Alchemist)
Get Real (Heimdall, Matantei Loki Ragnarok)

DO NOT dismiss her immediately as a typical anime voice actress. She does mostly male characters because her voice is very low and completely different from a lot of other seiyuu out there. Very energetic and emotive, definately at least worth a listen. -worships-

Pictures: 1, 2, 3 (She's the one on the left).

Next up, my second favorite seiyuu, Megumi Hayashibara! She's been in, like, everything, so I won't bother listing all her anime-related stuff, and I know she has independent CDs out too, although I haven't heard any of them. She's really bouncy and fun, great to listen to if you're in a bad mood. There are also a few of her songs that are a little more serious, but she has a load of them out so just look around a while and you'll find something to suit you. As a starting point, I'd highly recommend her songs from Slayers and Shaman King.

Pictures: 1, 2, 3.

Concluding the singer/seiyuu people, Horie Yui. She's another one of those people who's been in a ton of different things and is pretty well known as a voice actress. I think she has some independent stuff out, but I'm not entirely sure. You might have to be a little more into Japanese music to appreciate her, because her voice is VERY high pitched and can get a bit annoying at times. As far as individual songs go, I would definitely recommend Sono Saki no Justice (Shaman King), Happy Happy Rice Shower (Love Hina), and It's My Style (Rikujou Boueitai Mao-chan).

Picture: 1.

Moving on, Suga Shikao! Aside from having a totally awesome name, he has a wonderful, mellow voice. Most of his stuff is very accoustic, great to listen to if you want to relax or get some work done. My particular favorite songs are Kiseki and Sanagi, because those are pretty much the only ones I have by him ;;;;; -makes note to look up more-

Picture:1.

And of course, I've saved the best for last....My all time FAVORITE band....L'arc-en-Ciel! Also very known within anime culture, but you don't necessarily have to be into that to enjoy them. A great mix of rhythm, guitar, and a little techno. They could be described as punk rock, I guess, but a lot of their songs blend in different genres as well. They also have a few songs in English, for those of you who don't like music in languages you don't understand. The AWAKE album is my favorite, SMILE coming in at a close second. Songs I would totally recommend: Lost Heaven, Spirit Dreams Inside, Ophelia, and Hoshizora.

Pictures (I SWEAR they're all guys ;;;; ): 1, 2, 3, Hyde! -drool-

I'll update if I think of anyone else, but I'm pretty sure that's about it....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:03 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Tiger Army

Their music is great. They have a classic sound, it's rock, but calm lyrics.
Tiger Army III: Ghost Tigers Rise - Good album.
I recommend for everyone to hear Santa Carla Twilight, Ghostfire, Rose of the Devils Garden, and Atomic.
You can currently hear Ghostfire on their myspace http://www.myspace.com/tigerarmy , not my favorite, but thats whats there.

Travis

Not sure how many people know about them, I assume that they might be more mainstream then I know. Anyhow, I like Travis, happy tune to them. I don't really have much to say, they're considered british rock, although they aren't all that on the rock side.
Singles-For some of their better work. I like Flowers in the Window, Sing, Writing to Reach You....
And their videos are always creative - you can watch them at their site http://www.travisonline.com/

Within Temptation

Once again, don't know how popular these guys are. Their genre is goth rock/ metal. Female volalist, if anyones heard of Nightwish, they sould alot like them. Actually, they are sort of like Evanescence... Although I don't like that comparison.
Silent Force - Only album I have.... So I suggest it :P

~Set by moogie~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:56 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: New Zealand Weapon: HaaH Sword Species: Human Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Upon seeing the just parts of the music video in which five lovely girls were furiously playing electric violins, I endevored for a couple of months to find out who they were and where I could get their music. Eventually I found it.

The group is called 'Wild' and their latest Album is called 'Time', it was released in July this year.

Their single is 'Hipnotic', and the album overall contains 13 almost entirely instrumental songs of varying styles, almost all of them are really fantastic. My personal favourites on the album are 'Hipnotic', 'String Fever', and 'Running Free'. I suggest you have a listen, though it might be hard to find.

---------

Ok, while in Japan, I went to Akihabara, the electronics district (and anime/disturbing district). On a Sunday they close off the streets and variou amateur bands come out to play. However the best one on the street was not Japanese at all, it was a group of half a dozen South Americans called '.Los Awkis' who played some amazingly good panpipe music. Panpipes are obviously not that widely used, but these guys were great.

Unfortunately as they are living in Japan, they are entirely unknown and their album is only avaliable from them as they tour it seems. I picked up 'El Condor Pasa', my personal favourite on there being 'Celeste'.

http://www.geocities.jp/los_awkis/elcondor.jpg
http://www.geocities.jp/los_awkis/move6.jpg

(because geocities are evil, to view the pics, add one space at the end after copy/pasting the link into the bar)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:23 pm 
PPT Toddler
PPT Toddler

The Secret Machines

I adore these guys :] They're from Dallas and released their album Now Here Is Nowhere last year. I've just recently stumbled upon their latest EP but didn't feel like waiting in the ridiculous line at Best Buy to buy it.. so no word on the songs on that one, but Now Here Is Nowhere is simply amazing from the first song.

Wikipedia describes them as such: "Their music could be best described as progressive rock with some krautrock influences mixed in. They describe themselves as space rock. Many have also cited the Secret Machines as a style of shoegaze, as a lot of their songs on Now Here Is Nowhere have samples that mimic that of shoegaze bands like My Bloody Valentine and Ride. 'They take Pink Floyd psychedelia, Led Zeppelin stomp, and Who-inspired choruses and charge them full of big-rock beats, atmospheric keyboards and all kinds of electronic whooshes.' --Rolling Stone."

The songs I enjoy most off of Now Here Is Nowhere are First Wave Intact, Nowhere Again, Pharaoh's Daughter, and You Are Chains. The Road Leads Where It's Led is my all-time favorite, though. It's honestly one of the best songs I've ever heard. Awesome lyrics and a ridiculously catchy tune. I was in love the first time I heard it. But seriously, the entire album's incredible and every song stands out to me.

If you've heard any songs of theirs, you've probably heard Nowhere Again.

Ambulance LTD

I love these guys as well. I had the pleasure of seeing them live at the Austin City Limits Festival a few months ago, and they were quite amazing live. They've got a cool 70's feel to their music. Their only album that I know of is self-titled (I think? There's no title on the cover). The songs I like most are Ophelia, Stay Where You Are, Michigan, and Young Urban.

If you've heard a song of theirs, you've probably heard Primitive or Anecdote.

And just for the record, some of my favorite better-known bands are Doves, Muse, Radiohead, The Arcade Fire, and Death Cab for Cutie. So if you like any of those, there's a really good chance you'll like The Secret Machines and Ambulance LTD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:53 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Rasputina

Rasputina is known as, bluntly, "cello rock". If you want instrumentals, especially of the cello type, this is definitely a great band for you. The vocals are fairly good in most of their songs, and all in all... they're just good.

Almost all the people I listen to are unknown, so I'll have more later.

the greatest love story never told.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:40 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Andy Hunter
Label: Sparrow Records/EMI CMG Publishing + Genre: Dance

You may not know it, but you actually might have heard Andy's music. His music has been featured on shows and movies such as The Matrix Reloaded, Alias, National Treasure, and the Italian Job. He has also been featured on video game soundtracks and dance music hit CDs. For more info, go to http://www.andyhunter.com.

His current singles from his 6 song EP Life are Lifelight and Alive, featuring Reunion Records recording artist Christine Glass.

I beat Liz to it, nanananana...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:49 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The Pink Spiders
Basically a more pop punk sounding band, such as the now dead Tsunami Bomb (God rest its soul.) Fairly intelligent lyrics. Theirspace

Murder by Death
Really interesting rockabilly band that features a cello, strange lyrics and titles. (Their song Holy Lord, The Shawshank Redemption Is Such A Good Movie! is a six minute mainly cello piece that features one line of lyrics 'You're all the way over there, but we can dance to your music from here. So sing.') Website

Circle Takes The Square
A screamo band with both male and female vocalists, they shout back in forth in a sort of question and answer format. Theirspace

Dillweed
http://dillweedmusic.com/retro/friends.jpg
A very interesting acoustic rockabilly band. Website

Xiu Xiu
The strangest band ever. Hands down. Don't see what I mean? Listen to Sad Pony Girl Website

Jason And The Retronauts
A lounge/surf rock band from Madrid, Spain. Seriously. Theirspace

Dan & The PlayRadioPlay
A oneteen band from Texas, fairly popular on PureVolume. Hisspace

William Elliot Whitmore
A man and a banjo. Fantastic. Website

Tiger Army's fairly good too, if they hadn't already of been posted, they'd be here as well. Please say if you've heard about these bands already, to make sure that I'm not the only one who is crazy about them.

Other (though slightly more popular bands) would be: The Flaming Lips, The Dresden Dolls, Symphony X, Panic! At The Disco, The Postal Service, Johnny Mercury.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:59 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Pfft, Xiu Xiu aren't the strangest band ever.

Never go see Polysics perform. O_O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:26 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Loose Joints

A local band to Birmingham, UK. I was blown away by them when I went to watch an ex gig alongside with them. I've now been to a few of their gigs and always enjoy the wide variety of music they play.

Their influences include:

Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Steve Vai, the Who, Funeral for a Friend, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Slayer, Janis Joplin, Joy Division, Booker T and the MG`s, Joanna Newsom, Thrice, Bullet for my Valentine, Steve Lynch, The Mars Volta, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Todd Rundgren, the Doors, Pink Floyd, Roy Harper, Nick Drake, Jethro Tull, Jefferson Airplane, Iggy and the Stooges, MC5, Jimi Hendrix, Rage Against the Machine, At The Drive In, Black Label Society, Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath, the Byrds, the Beach Boys, the Nazz, Utopia, the Small Faces, the Kinks, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, Ravi Shankar, the Mighty Boosh and many many many many many more!

http://www.myspace.com/loosejointstheband
http://www.loosejoints.tk

It's coming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:25 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Igg wrote:

The Polysics creep me out. Then again, most J-Rock bands creep me out. *shiver*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:52 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

halfbakedbliss wrote:
Igg wrote:

Actually, you know what's worse to watch?

Psychic TV.

Good gosh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:27 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

halfbakedbliss wrote:
Igg wrote:

Aah! I LOVE Polysics! Hyper-tacular weirdness rocks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:40 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Her name is Gwen Stefani. She was the lead singer in a band called NoDoubt. But now she decided to go solo and is really sucessful. She has 5 singles which are What you waiting for, Rich girl, Hollaback girl, Cool and Luxurious. Her single Hollaback girl is the 1st single ever in the U.S. that sold over one million. Her album is called Love, Angel, Music, Baby. She also has a clothing line for girls called L.A.M.B which stands for Love, Angel, Music, Baby and now she is comeing out with a clothing line for guys. If you are someone who likes dance music then you should buy this album. If you want to find out more about her then go to this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwen_Stefani .

Set made by YesItIsh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:41 pm 
PPT Warrior
PPT Warrior

Heh. :D

Nightwish
A symphonic-metal, female-fronted band from Finland, this group sings about the oddest things. From nymphomaniacal fantasies to songs involving the beauty and the beast, this band will really have you mesmirised!
ALBUMS: Nightwish Demo EP, Angels Fall First EP, Angels Fall First, Oceanborn, Wishmaster, From Wishes to Eternity, Century Child, End of Innocence, Once, Highest Hopes, End of an Era
TOP SONGS: Sleeping Sun, Ever Dream, Nemo, Wish I Had an Angel, Sacrament of Wilderness, Deep Silent Complete, Dead Boy's Poem, Ghost Love Score, Dark Chest of Wonders, End of All Hope, the Carpenter
OFFICIAL WEBSITE: http://www.nightwish.com

Hedley
You may have seen this band on Muchmusic... this Canadian-idol John Haggard (forgive the spelling :P) competitor fronted punk rock band have recently hit it big when they went on tour with Simple Plan. They have a lot of older work, but their self-titled debut Hedley will have you rockin' off your seat!
SINGLES: On My Own, Trip

The Trews
A band from Nova Scotia, Canada, they're more of the alternative rock type, though I'm band at giving rock genres...
ALBUMS: House of Ill Fame, Den of Thieves
SINGLES: Not Ready to Go, Tired of Waiting, So She's Leaving, Yearning

Trading Yesterday
A Christian pop-rock band that features ex-Evanescence member David Hodges. They do have an earlier album that is now out of print but their new album, 'More than This', will come out in 2006.
SINGLES: One Day, featured on the Stealth Soundtrack.

Okay, so some of my info for the bands suck, but get over it. :P

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next