Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:33 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I have a PSP, so any comments made by me is just a lil' push why you would maybe want a PSP.

Yes the fact that you can surf the internet is a plus, but its somewhat a lil' complicated to connect (although, I haven't tried to do it again since the latest few patches, so i dunno how easier it's gotten).

It's a real helper when you're in a bind without anything fun to do. For example, I get stuck in the airport when I go back home, takes a lot of time... and its nice to have music/games/movies at hand to watch while i'm literally doing nothing.

It's slightly big so its not as convenient as say the Ipod or other similar knock-offs, but it gets the job done. And it has a fairly decent battery life so you won't have to worry about it dying TOO quickly. :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:40 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I say go for the DS.

PSP is, in my opinion, incredibly overhyped. Sure, it can play movies- how amazing, I have a portable DVD player that can do the same thing, which didn't cost $300. The DS + what my portable DVD player cost equals a lot less than what PSP costs. I get it all for less money. Besides, you can only watch movies on PSP with their weird disc things. What if I wanted to watch... Doc Savage? Would they have that on UMD? I think not. PSP graphics don't wow me like they apparently wow others. I think, sure, they're great, but they're not as fabulous as everyone goes on about. DS graphics, from what I've seen, are pretty are par.

And my final resting ground? Nintendogs is an incredible game that goes far, far beyond your regular video game. That thing is like you having a real dog that you don't have to pick up for- literally. Does PSP have it? No. Does the Nintendo DS?

Yes, yes it does. And the shiny built in microphone on the DS (which works quite well, might I add) makes the games just a bit more special. For example, in Nintendogs, you don't click a button to make your dog sit. You tell it to.

Kugetsu wrote:
Some people like to watch movies on the go, and it beats carrying around a hulking portable DVD player.

To be honest, a PSP is not much smaller than your average portable DVD player. For a portable game console, it's pretty big.

the greatest love story never told.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:06 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: Outside on your boulevarde scaring small children. Um... or in Illinois.
Quote:
I have a portable DVD player that can do the same thing, which didn't cost $300. The DS + what my portable DVD player cost equals a lot less than what PSP costs.

*cough*$250*cough* I doubt you can get a DS, and a decent portable DVD player for a lot less than $250 (not that that argument has ever had any stable ground in the first place.) Anyway, portable DVD players are large and awkward, you can't even compare it to something that you can hold in one hand (so there's no reason to).

As for graphics:

PSP = PS2
DS = a little more powerful than N64

Not that it matters, but there's a whole generation between the two. No way is DS on par with the PSP as far as graphics go, no way.

Nintendogs was one of the biggest gimmicks for the DS, I've played it, and games like that are a huge turn off for me. I was really excited to play it at first, but it's just like an upgraded Tamagotchi, not so great after you mess with it a bit. It's something that is cute so people will buy it. Cool, you can talk to it, it wears off after a couple of hours.

Anyway, the DS is much more over-hyped than the PSP.

Bangel wrote:
To be honest, a PSP is not much smaller than your average portable DVD player. For a portable game console, it's pretty big.

There's a rather large difference in size between the two. o_0

CLICK IT!
Thanks to Laq. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:07 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Kugetsu wrote:

The width and height of the PSP and my portable DVD player are not much different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:36 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

I've seen and played both and I prefer the DS. I mean the PSP is pretty for sure, nice graphics etc but if you are in it for the games then the DS is where it is at. Some of the games made specially for the DS's features are incredible. My little brother got his DS at xmas and I was bowled over my Nintendogs and that microphone feature. My little brother *loves* his little puppy ^^ Even the simple Yoshi game he got too was awesome fun drawing on the second screen.

And of course the number of games is huge! If the psp cost say half of what it does at the moment I'd have far more trouble picking between the two. As it is I rather fancy the DS myself. When I want uber graphics I'll just play my PC games on my nice big screen ^^ I guess ultimately it comes down to not whether the psp is better but whether a) it has the games you want, and b) it's worth *that* much more to you. I like both the DS and the PSP but the answers to those two questions points me, personally, to the DS =)

Petpet Central

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:38 am 

I've never played a PSP but I have played a DS. I can say that the DS is awesome. I love it.

I totally agree with everything Bangel said.

Now I know not to go out and buy a PSP. hehe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:55 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: Outside on your boulevarde scaring small children. Um... or in Illinois.
Bangel wrote:
Kugetsu wrote:

The width and height of the PSP and my portable DVD player are not much different.

Then where do the DVD's go? The height of a PSP is 7.4 cm. The standard diameter of a basic sized CD (or DVD) is 12 cm. That's almost a difference of 4.5 cm. right there. The DVD player would obviously be larger than the disc space alone, probably at least 2 cm larger. There's no way a DVD can fit in the PSP, considering it's so much larger than it. Unless you're watching UMDs in a DVD player, there's no way they can be near each other in size.

When you're talking about things being held in the hand, every single centimeter counts, a 5 cm. difference is a ton when it comes to holding something in your hand. In this case, enough to make it less comfortable to hold for long periods..

CLICK IT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:02 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

Thanks you guys. I've decided to go for the DS. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:24 am 
PPT Baby
PPT Baby

Kugetsu wrote:
Quote:
As for graphics:

PSP = PS2
DS = a little more powerful than N64

Not that it matters, but there's a whole generation between the two. No way is DS on par with the PSP as far as graphics go, no way.

Really, it's different than just a generation. PSP has Early-Generation PS2 graphics, meaning that it's not full PS2-potential (seeing as it's not a PS2). And the DS, yes, is late-generation N64, possibly very early GameCube development graphics.

However, they already chose, they picked the one with Pokemon (Yay! Pikachu!)

Feel the burn! Feel it! Feel the burn banana time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:38 am 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Even with the games that are on the PS2, very few have used the PS2's full potential (actually only a couple have). ;) There really wasn't that much of a shift from the middle of the 64's life to the end as far as graphics go, very little in fact. Mid-64 to late-64, there's not a huge graphical shift as there is with this generation (same with the PSX). They may not be a full generation apart (if you're picky), but there's enough to make a large enough gap to see that they aren't nearly the same.

CLICK IT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:09 am 

I have a PSP, but getting a memory card is extremely expensive, which sucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:07 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Kugetsu wrote:
Nintendogs was one of the biggest gimmicks for the DS, I've played it, and games like that are a huge turn off for me. I was really excited to play it at first, but it's just like an upgraded Tamagotchi, not so great after you mess with it a bit. It's something that is cute so people will buy it. Cool, you can talk to it, it wears off after a couple of hours.

If you give up after a few hours, you didn't give the game a fair chance. It would take at least a week for even the most experienced gamer to accomplish everything in the game (which is owning eight dogs and accomplishing the money to buy them (they're $500 a piece and you only get to start the game with $1,000 dollars), mastering all five or so levels of agility competition (and that doesn't even include the amount of training you have to do), winning the obedience competitions (which takes a lot of training again), winning the flying disc competitions (more amounts of training, and not all dogs can do this one) as well as unlocking all of the unlockable breeds, which involves getting around 20,000 trainer points (and dear, those do NOT come easy) and having hours and hours of touch time with your dog).

Tell me you can do all that in a few hours, and I will laugh at you. Many times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:03 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

It seems to me that the Nintendo DS is more the kind of console for children, I mean, Nintendogs looks awesome. And yes, it is a revolution in gaming, and it's almost reality...

But honestly, can you sit on a train or a bus or any other public place drawing on a screen while having trouble holding your console and yelling "SIT BOBBY!!" at it, while annoying other people...? A PSP has an internal memory stick where you can store movies which you download from the internet!
I'm not saying the DS isn't fun and revolutionary, but it's not really what a handheld is supposed to be. (plus, the graphics can't really compete with the PSP)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:06 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Location: At Planet Veldin, helping out the Galactic Rangers fight the tyrranoids
I'd say go for PSP. :)

I'd agree with what Jens kind of said, because even if DS costs cheaper, and everthing basically nintendo sells is cheap, I still think PSP is the pro at all handheld gaming. 8)

The reasons are obvious, despite the fact, the PSP is priced around $350 around our country, I still think it's a really good deal. You can play dvds on it, and take it around watching them with headfones, I think, and portable is WAY better than on the actual t.v. And then the graphics, I know some of you nintendo fans like the games not the graphics and only have fun, but still I like the graphics because they somehow assist you through the game, and I'm not sure how, but I just assumed that. Also the games are really good, I've seen good games, nintendogs is good, but as Jens said, I reckon it's a bit childish as well, I'd rather not use that really annoying stick thingy. As for PSP, I've seen really good RPG games, the DS isn't the only handheld game thing with RPG games, and Bangel, that telling thing to your dog to sit, as Jens said, could be annoying, I mean talking to the thing? Talking to actual virtual stuff? Um, that's weird! :roflol:

But I suppose DS and PSP both has some potential, but as for my opinion I'd definitely go for PSP, DS just doesn't have the stuff to fit into my ticklist. :)

Hey Pat, where are you and general nonsense going? I guess to the festivities of sophisticos!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:57 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Jens wrote:
It seems to me that the Nintendo DS is more the kind of console for children...

People that own them (some names taken from the Nintendogs thread, some I knew before) include: Jasujo (27, nearly 28 now), Runevalkyrie (in early 20s?), Cyanna (also early 20s?), and though this one makes less of a point, Kyra (14, but she still isn't a child). All four of them own and apparently enjoy Nintendogs, and none have been children for quite a while now.

There are a lot a games available for it (and the PSP as well, I admit) that are not for just children.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next