Pink Poogle Toy Forum

The official community of Pink Poogle Toy
Main Site
NeoDex
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:25 am 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Kugetsu wrote:
Jrtman, you don't sound very informative on Revolution, and rather fanboyish so I guess I'll put things into perspective. (heck, anyone that's read up on this at all could disprove most of what you've said.)

I sound fanboyish, huh? I have never been called that, especially when referring to Nintendo.

Quote:
This is a reason that new gamers are dragging video games down the crapper. Who cares about the freaking graphics!? I don't play games just because the graphics are nice (and those that do are fools). If you haven't noticed, the 360 is way off of the PS3's graphics as well, and actually quite close to the Rev's capabilities. People play games they find fun or interesting, not those that look the coolest.

I have noticed that, actually, and I think its the biggest possible mistake Microsoft could have made. However, I disagree with you when you say the Wii will have around the same power as the 360. I have heard speculation that says the Wii's power will fall somewhere inbetween the Gamecube and the PS2 and that seems entirely likely.

Quote:
Aside from multi-platform titles, I really am not interested in the 360 at all, yet it has nice graphics. Luckily, the PS3 already looks to have as great of a library as ever, but also great graphics. Graphics mean nothing if your library sucks.

I'm not at all interested in the 360 either and never will be.

Quote:
jrtman wrote:
The new controller appears like a big pain in the neck to me, if I wanted to use a remote contorl to play games I'd subscribe to the game service Dish Network offers.

Fair point, I guess, though it really wasn't explained past the point of "I just don't like it."

I cannot imagine a hardcore gamer using that thing. It looks like it is lacking a few too many buttons to support the kind of games most people want to play.

Quote:
WRONG. This is where common sense take flight. First of all, if you haven't noticed or read up on anything, the Revolution is actually getting a huge gain in 3rd party support, in fact, it's very first game is 3rd party.

How powerful your system is has absolutely no effect on how much 3rd party support you get... at all. If anything, the PS3 is going to be the most difficult to provide games for because of it's Blu-Ray format.

Oh, and if you haven't noticed, the very first game being released is anything but "kiddy" (though the GC was). The 3rd Party support that I already mentioned already disproves that.

I have read all about the supposed 3rd party interest, but all the interest in the world isn't going to make one bit of difference if the sales aren't there. Plus, I guarantee SNL and Mad TV are going to do Wii skits making fun of the name with innuendo on top of innuendo which is going to put a damper on parents buying the console for their kids.

Quote:
jrtman wrote:
I know the death of Nintendo has been argued to death, but I have a feeling it may be happening within the next 10 years.

Nope... that's nearly impossible, actually. As long as they make another console, then they will last longer than 10 years (take into account the life of a current generation system, it's about 5 years), in fact, the only way I can see Nintendo going out of business is if they don't even release the Revolution and have a terrible time with their handhelds. It just won't happen. o_o

Maybe, maybe not. What I think we can all say for certain is that Nintendo's fate rests on the Wii alone.

Quote:
Icey - It's not just a name. A name can greatly affect those that are thinking of purchasing the product. You wouldn't buy a bottle of shampoo called " 'Poo " would you? Of course we know what it is, but some feel kind of stupid for having something named that in their posession (though some would find it amusing). As far as products and economics go, a name is never just a name, it's a ticket to sales.

And that's another reason to think Wii sales won't do well. Again, I could be wrong, but it's an easy conclusion to come to.

Set made by S-S-SmOkIN -- Support Icon by Relella

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:28 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Divine wrote:
... it's just a name. Okay, I don't like it that much either, but I don't see why people have to make such a big deal out of it.

I agree, when my bro first told me when I got back I was like.... o_O

What on Earth did they change it for?!

But I know that, no matter the name (I'll probably still call it the Rev anyway), its the still the same console! Eesh, what's in a name, a rose by.... I am NOT quoting Shakespeare :lol:

But seriously, its just a name, people abbreviate and change names anyway, if its that big a deal then just name the console something! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:26 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Super Smash Bros. Revolution will now be known as Super Smash Bros Wii. It just doesn't have the same impact.
As Revolution, it would tempt some PS3 to try it out of interest, but as Wii, Sony will be laughing all the way to the bank

Get your egg at http://www.pickle-green.com/egraphics/main.php?id=eggs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:25 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

WII = "Wildlife Institute of India"
WII = "Washington Internship Institute"
WII = "World Internet Institute"

Wii... Just... Wi?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:19 pm 
Way Beyond Godly
Way Beyond Godly

Location: Outside on your boulevarde scaring small children. Um... or in Illinois.
ria wrote:
Divine wrote:
But seriously, its just a name, people abbreviate and change names anyway, if its that big a deal then just name the console something! :P

People call the Playstation 2, "PS2", and the Gamecube, "GC", how are we going to abbreviate Wii? "Wow, it's interesting?" People don't call their systems anything other than what is accepted, in this case, it's going to be Wii since it can't really be shortened. (I will probably name mine Harriet though. >_>)

They should make the name and logo unattachable and sell a seperate "Revolution" name and logo to stick in there. Heck, they do it with everything else just to make money, why not that? (Plus, people would storm in just to change the name. xD)

As I said, a name makes a difference. If you're selling something, a name is more than just a name, it's part of what sells your product. They will actually lose sales from this, though it probably won't be marginally significant.

CLICK IT!
Thanks to Laq. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:27 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

The people on the IGN boards are coming up with hilarious, albeit not kid friendly, slogans using the Wii name. My personal favorite was a slogan for the Wii with DS connectivity. You'll just have to wander around the site to find it.

My point is that when people and the media -- especially the media -- can make fun of the name of a product that parents will be buying for their kids in a way that isn't suitable for children, your sales are going to suffer.

Nintendo has made themselves a laughing stock by choosing to rename the Revolution to Wii. I understand that they're Japanese and to them and their culture it's probably a great name since it's very common, but take the name out of Asia and it's a whole new game; no pun intended.

Their explanation was incredibly lame too:

Quote:
Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of videogames that sets it apart from the crowd.

That's just stupid. That's like saying I called my dog Pii because he's yellow and the "ii" spelling is to symbolize the unique fact that I named my dog after urine.

If this is Nintendo's idea of a marketing campaign it's not going to work because it's only generating buzz between the fanboys who are going to buy it no matter what, and the haters who are never going to buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:22 pm 
PPT God
PPT God

jrtman wrote:
If this is Nintendo's idea of a marketing campaign it's not going to work because it's only generating buzz between the fanboys who are going to buy it no matter what, and the haters who are never going to buy it.

Hi, I'm Stuart-James, and I'm a Fanboy.

Anyway, back to the topic, you are very wrong Jrt. This name has been causing buzz between lots of people in my school, and after everyone got the puns out of the way, we all actually realised how smart it is, because only about 1/5 of my school plays video games, yet 3/5 of my school were talking about it. I myself have actually gotten so used to the name that I can't wait to stride proudly into GAME and say, "I would like a Wii please!"

Also, the Wii will have lots of 3rd party support. Heck, yesterday Madden announced a game for the Wii and there's going to be an exclusive Tony Hawk game for it.

You also said that the Wii will fall somewhere between the GC and PS2 on Graphics. Totally rubbish. The processing power of the Wii will be very high, and if you look at the graphics of the GC, you will see that they are fantastic. Metroid. RE4. F-Zero GX. Tales Of Symphonia (not including the world map). Baten Kaitos. PSO. LOZ: WW. MGS: TS. TS3. All of those games had fantastic graphics, and you cannot argue that. And then you look at Wii. It's a next generation console, and it will have next generation graphics. So what if it doesn't support HD-TV? The vast majority of the world don't have HD-TV, and unless my TV suddenly breaks down and can't be repaired, I'm not going to buy one (well, unless I win the lottery). And anyway, like has been stated before, graphics aren't everything. Take LOZ: WW. When it was first revealed to be cel-shaded, people ridiculed it, butit has now became one of the best games you have for the 'Cube.

You also overlook the fact that this is not just a Wii. It's a NES, a SNES, an N64, a NGC, a Sega Genesis and a TurboGrafx 16. It will be able to go online for free. And with the amount of 3rd Party Support it has, it will not fail. Even if the Wii does fail, Nintendo still has the handheld market in it's hands. The PSP is doing so badly, that all the major companies are not going to make UMD movies for it anymore.

Yes, the name is silly, but it has gotten Nintendo a lot of attention and it's going to alert non-gamers to the fact that it exists. The NWii is going to succeed, and until it has crashed, burned and been turned into a diamond, no-one can say otherwise.

ImageImage
Set - Sunnie
Blinkie - Chass
Left.
ALL HAIL XENU!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:48 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

arogance1 wrote:
Super Smash Bros. Revolution will now be known as Super Smash Bros Wii. It just doesn't have the same impact.

They don't have to change the name of that. It doesn't have to not be a revolution.

Yes, I'm still alive...still alive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:52 pm 
PPT Student
PPT Student

Ixistant wrote:
Anyway, back to the topic, you are very wrong Jrt. This name has been causing buzz between lots of people in my school, and after everyone got the puns out of the way, we all actually realised how smart it is, because only about 1/5 of my school plays video games, yet 3/5 of my school were talking about it. I myself have actually gotten so used to the name that I can't wait to stride proudly into GAME and say, "I would like a Wii please!"

Then what I should have is that the only people that are going to actually care what they name the new Nintendo console are the fanboys and the haters. Others may talk about it, sure, but it's certainly not going to generate sales since the others are talking negatively against it, just like the haters.

If you like the name that's fine, but saying I think I'm going to play with my Wii just doesn't sound right to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:46 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Honestly, all the people who are making fun of the name are just proving that they are extremely childish and petty...

OMG it sound like wee-wee LOL!!!!!11!shift1!

:roll:

Its just a name! And now that I'm used to it, its actually kinda cute :P

And those who make fun of it, obviously had no real interest or support of the Revolution/Wii anyway!

I decided, even after first hearing the new name, that I was gonna buy this console no matter what the hell it was called!

Any true fan of Nintendo should be able to look beyond the NAME of the console, and see that its gonna be truly awesome and extremely fun!

And if any of you disagree than that's your problem, not mine. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:48 am 
PPT God
PPT God

Okay, I'd like to put my two cents in.

First, since when has an online petition worked? They're not going to change the name because of an online petition that could easily have one person signing it multiple times.

Second, the controller is not bad. When it first came out, I hated it. Then, I read all the articles having to do with it, and now I like it. It doesn't need to have a lot of buttons, because it's supposed to be more interactive. In a Star Wars game, it can be used as a lightsaber. In an FPS, it can be used as a gun (that's why there's a button on the bottom). Having the controller be a remote control has opened up a wide array of possibilities that could not happen with a conventional controller.

Third, I also hate the Wii name. I wish they would change it back, just like almost everyone else. The fact is, however, it's going to stay. Another thing about this is the reason why it wasn't released at E3 was to grab the attention of the gaming world? And it worked, didn't it. It seems they've taken some of Apple's ideas and used them (not disclosing a ton of information about it, making an announcement so subtle yet it disrupts the news in a good way). Anyhow, the gaming world will get used to the name, after all the puns are done with. Oh, and look, it's not generating buzz between the fanboys, it's generating buzz everywhere, which is what they wanted.

Oh, and I suspect another reason why they changed the name is that it's so short that there's no need to abbrieviate, so in a few years the Wii will be the only console to not be abbrieviated.

Speculation Central - Thinking about the future... Today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:15 am 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

ria wrote:
Divine wrote:

I agree, when my bro first told me when I got back I was like.... o_O

What on Earth did they change it for?!

You and the rest of the world is feverently talking about it...
Somebody at Nintendo went to business school ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:34 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Wii...

What's even worse is when i go to say it, I end up saying nintedoey

Bleck :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:17 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Setekh wrote:
You and the rest of the world is feverently talking about it...
Somebody at Nintendo went to business school ;)

Bingo :P

I must agree that my first impressions to the Wii was less than serious.
But like Yoshi... Me likey.

But honestly, who the heck cares what it's called...
It is what it is. And it's quite a gem, I must say (comin' from a PS guy)...

The intriguing Remote-Control controller? I can't WAIT to try one out
And who ISN'T talking about the Wii? Nintendo knows what they're doing. And they for sure hit the bullseye.

Can't wait to see how them peeps at E3 fare :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:43 pm 
Beyond Godly
Beyond Godly

Oh god Ninty knew this would happen - darn it I know I'm gonna end up buying one now, I just know it >.<

I know I'm gonna hate myself but I.. uhh grarhh I dunno I'm undecided (Still hping they'll change it back to revolution)

ImageImage

Boom-shaka-laka! Rawr come and join us in the Randomness
Sig Halloween'd by Tom!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next